Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader
I respectively disagree. Dollar coins are cheaper and much more efficient.

look in your wallet now - do you really have $20 single dollar bills? i'd be shocked if you did. With the $5 bill still being around, you'd never have more then 4 dollar coins in your pocket at one time, which ways slightly more the 4 quarters. really not that big of a deal
As a Canadian who now resides in the USA, I've seen both sides of this coin, so to speak.

When I lived in Canada, it was a common occurrence that I'd end up with more change in my pocket than the smallest denomination of paper currency (i.e. $5). Aside from the slight annoyance from having slightly heavier, slightly more jingly pockets, so what? I can't understand why Americans are so resistant to the idea of giving up the one dollar bill. Give it a goofy name and everyone will love it.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: Any and All
I've spent some time in Canada, so I am somewhat familiar with the $1 and $2 coins there. I never minded carrying them, but I still do prefer the $1 bill because they are harder to lose. Over the course of one's life, I wonder how many $1 coins would be lost in couches, car seats, etc. Will we end up carrying change purses??

At the same time, I suppose I wouldn't mind not having to slide a crumpled $1 bill into a vending machine 1,000 times before it accepts it!
Old Mar 4, 2011, 3:46 pm

deposited $1000 rolled coins at a local Wells Fargo bank in SO CA. Cashier asked senior cashier if she has to put coins in a plastic bag.. she counted the rolls and dropped the rolls in plastic bag...all said and done in 10 minutes... did some small talk about how heavy the bag is and all that
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta FO
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet. If you buy gold, you probably know a lot of these places don't accept credit cards. When you use these dollar coins, it's like being able to use your credit card to buy the gold and get those miles. ^

One ounce a week baby.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
So instead of ordering a 2 for $500 President, order a 4 rolls and get $1000 Indian bucks. they are in stock, they have the yellow wrapper, uncirculated, so you can sell them on ebay for $35.00 a roll, so $400 profit is not bad..plus miles..

Something to think about for the new guys.
Uncirculated rolls cost $35.95 at us mint. I only found Circulated coins selling for face value. Did I miss something?
Ebay charges 12% commission, paypal charges $.29 + 3% transaction fee. Plus shipping cost. buyer hates to pay for shipping. You don't want to ship without delivery confirmation. Total selling/shipping cost would go $6+ per roll, so the profit won't be $10 per roll for selling for $35 on ebay.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
That is why I said $400 net profit instead of the $10.00 gross profit per roll.

They are selling them on EBAY.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by scubadiver

All the stuff I must have in my pockets makes me look like I have saddlebags. Dollar coins are heavy, bulky, and noisy. Not something I really want to have to carry.

So carrying $10-20 in coins is not my idea of progress.
so what do you do when you are in the UK or Europe? or Canada? all those $1 and $2 coins add up over time. well they do for me. i deal with it, mainly b/c what are you going to do about it anyway.

i actually like using the coins here though i find it annoying when the cashier has to ask the manager if they take them as payment. was at Noodles & Co for dinner this week and the cashier did this to me. i was all, um those are dollar coins. i was not in the mood for such nonsense, i just wanted my dinner. manager finally got unbusy enough to tell her they were fine.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
WANTED: 2009 Native American Coins

I was just looking at the US Mint site and the 2009 Native American Coins are sold out. I would like to appeal to anyone who may have some COMPLETE rolls of these coins to contact me via PM as I am interested in these coins.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by clevername
If that's accurate, it would explain the puzzling results I've had with mrs. clevername's first orders:

2/20 order on hold for 2 days, i cancelled
2/22 re-ordered, on hold for 8 days, i cancelled
3/2 re-ordered, still on hold.

in the meantime, my first order was made on 2/23, and received on 3/2.

Billing & shipping addresses are unique to both accounts.
yeah, just need to wait for a full 10 days after doing anything at all is what they were saying. Sucks!
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:40 pm

Has it changed recently or do "attempted" charges that set off fraud alerts still cause the 10 days to reset? Stupid chase keeps putting fraud alert on my charges. Thanks fellas.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:49 pm

I asked the ebay sellers. They honestly answer the rolls are from direct ship.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum/Million Mile Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by grlmopz
Give it a goofy name and everyone will love it.
Better yet, put a goofy person on the coin.

How fast can the Mint ramp up production of the 2011 $1 Charlie Sheen coin?

A huge percentage of 'the goofies' would wind up in desk drawers, jewelry boxes, etc., never to go into circulation.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:54 am

$10 gross profit is a break even on Ebay after fees and shipping.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by mrpickles
On Amex you can see pending transactions.
FIA Card Services VISAs show this too. ^

Chase VISAs don't.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by dweick
The authorization hold is placed within minutes of you ordering the coins in most cases. When an authorization hold is placed your available credit will drop by a corresponding amount.

If you are ordering coins that are back ordered you may find that the authorization hold doesn't take place until the coins are available.
I've always seen the hold put on. Then removed in 2 or 3 days. Then reapplied when they actually shipped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.