Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Mar 4, 11, 8:43 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Plat, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
But in these cases I just use my Southwest Visa or Hilton Visa, I am still getting more points that way than using the coins
Yeah, unfortunately Southwest doesn't fly to CHA (my preferred airport), and I hold the HHonors AMEX. Besides, I feel like I'm punishing the stores that don't take AMEX with my gold coins.
Old Mar 4, 11, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, CO Plat, UA 1P, FB Plat, Marriott PLT, PC Plat, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by glocklt4 View Post
I ended up calling in about my 2/17 order that never went out of hold status. I placed another order 10 days later after canceling the 2/17 order. What the CSR told me is that canceling an order RESETS your 10 days... so I prolonged my wait even more.... great!
If that's accurate, it would explain the puzzling results I've had with mrs. clevername's first orders:

2/20 order on hold for 2 days, i cancelled
2/22 re-ordered, on hold for 8 days, i cancelled
3/2 re-ordered, still on hold.

in the meantime, my first order was made on 2/23, and received on 3/2.

Billing & shipping addresses are unique to both accounts.
Old Mar 4, 11, 8:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TheBisch View Post
I distribute my coins when I can't use my American Express card. Until I applied for and received my Delta Platinum SM AMEX late last year, I hadn't regularly used an AMEX card in years, back when I lived in ATL. Now I live in CHA, and what amazes me is in this day and age, how many merchants around here don't take AMEX (in the last 24 hours, a gas station and a fast food place both refused the AMEX).

Some of you speak of paying taxes with coins... ironically, my government services DO take American Express.

What's particularly fun for me then, is paying for my gas with unrolled coins. Last tankful was $59.00. I'll even bust the rolls first in my car if I have to.
Coin those b*st*rds! They deserve it for their insolence.
Old Mar 4, 11, 8:58 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by clevername View Post
If that's accurate, it would explain the puzzling results I've had with mrs. clevername's first orders:

Canceled after 2 days on hold? That's a little quick on the trigger...
Old Mar 4, 11, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by clevername View Post

I had an order that was on hold for 8 days and I cancelled it on 3/2 (I had an order ship out in January that was never charged and it hit my am ex last week and I thought maybe that had something to do with the other order being on hold so long) and did a new order and the 3/2 order is on hold. Does this mean that that my 3/2 will not ship and I have to cancel and wait 10 days to place a new order????? My order that was on hold for 8 days never did get authorized but there is a pending transaction for the 3/2 order with Am Ex.
Old Mar 4, 11, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by TheBisch View Post
Yeah, unfortunately Southwest doesn't fly to CHA (my preferred airport), and I hold the HHonors AMEX. Besides, I feel like I'm punishing the stores that don't take AMEX with my gold coins.
You should get a citibank Hilton (only 2 points per $ charged but I get at least 1.25 cents out of a hilton point so that is 2.5 cents per dollar) or a chase freedom card that gives you 1% back on all purchases (and you get a $100 bonus cash back after your first $800 in spending just one mint order LOL).

I agree with you about liking to punish people for not taking am ex and with merchants that won't accept plastic at all or charge a surcharge I pay with coins and often times will tell them I pay everything with $ coins that I can't use plastic on, but I still value the 1 to 3% cash back more than punishing a merchant for not accepting Am Ex who will accept visa
Old Mar 4, 11, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by crabbing View Post
the federal reserve banks also generate a profit (returned to the US treasury), but mainly from interest on investments and services to commercial banks. currency storage is one of the primary functions of the FR banks. storage of dollar coins is an incremental and non-differentiable expense (current total coin stock is in excess of $2 billion).
Assuming the $2B is correct (and sounds reasonable to me) that's about $60M per Fed office (not just talking about the 12 Fed banks, but also the branches and remote vaults). Each $1k of dollar coins weighs about 20 pounds, so that's about 600 tons of coins per office, and I would assume that this is steadily increasing, and much more of a problem at Feds such as LA, SF, and NYC, not to mention ATL, DFW, CHI etc. The Fed has already alluded to this issue in public docs. I would expect that there are already backroom discussions (Mint, Fed, Congress) going on about this, and that it is only a matter of time (could be years, though) before either the dollar bill or the dollar coin deal go away.
Old Mar 4, 11, 9:52 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Plat, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by PIONEER View Post
it is only a matter of time (could be years, though) before either the dollar bill or the dollar coin deal go away.
I don't think these would be mutually exclusive events either... if the dollar bill goes away, the dollar coin deal would likely go away too.
Old Mar 4, 11, 12:11 pm

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Just a quick FYI, but the GAO just put out a new report saying that "Replacing the $1 Note with a $1 Coin Would Provide a Financial Benefit to the Government"

From the summary:
According to GAO's analysis, replacing the $1 note with a $1 coin could save the government approximately $5.5 billion over 30 years. This would amount to an average yearly discounted net benefit--that is, the present value of future net benefits--of about $184 million. However, GAO's analysis, which assumes a 4-year transition period beginning in 2011, indicates that the benefit would vary over the 30 years. The government would incur a net loss in the first 4 years and then realize a net benefit in the remaining years. The early net loss is due in part to the up-front costs to the U.S. Mint of increasing its coin production during the transition. GAO's current estimate is lower than its 2000 estimate, which indicated an annual net benefit to the government of $522 million. This is because some information has changed over time and GAO incorporated some different assumptions in its economic model. For example, the lifespan of the note has increased over the past decade, and GAO assumed a lower ratio of coins to notes needed for replacement. GAO has noted in past reports that efforts to increase the circulation and public acceptance of the $1 coin have not succeeded, in part, because the $1 note has remained in circulation. Other countries that have replaced a low-denomination note with a coin, such as Canada and the United Kingdom, stopped producing the note. Officials from both countries told GAO that this step was essential to the success of their transition and that, with no alternative to the note, public resistance dissipated within a few years.
Old Mar 4, 11, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
So instead of ordering a 2 for $500 President, order a 4 rolls and get $1000 Indian bucks. they are in stock, they have the yellow wrapper, uncirculated, so you can sell them on ebay for $35.00 a roll, so $400 profit is not bad..plus miles..

Something to think about for the new guys.
Old Mar 4, 11, 1:05 pm

Bisch and Donuts I totally agree with your comments! I've been feeling a bit guilty about taking some small advantage of this deal, but in the long run we may all be motivating the govt to do what they should have done long ago.
Old Mar 4, 11, 1:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
So instead of ordering a 2 for $500 President, order a 4 rolls and get $1000 Indian bucks. they are in stock, they have the yellow wrapper, uncirculated, so you can sell them on ebay for $35.00 a roll, so $400 profit is not bad..plus miles..

Something to think about for the new guys.
you can sell the sacagawea's for $35 a roll? you sure?

why would people buy them at that price?
Old Mar 4, 11, 1:18 pm

Has anyone been erroneously charged by the mint? I keep impeccable records of my orders, order receipt emails, and shipping confirmations, but I have a recent charge that does not correspond to any shipment date.
Old Mar 4, 11, 1:45 pm

Question Dollar coins a good idea?

Time to rant.

I do not accept dollar coins as a good idea.

All the stuff I must have in my pockets makes me look like I have saddlebags. Dollar coins are heavy, bulky, and noisy. Not something I really want to have to carry.

My poor wallet is bulked out with the thick plastic cards everyone feels I must have. No room for money. I pare carry cards to the minimum. But that is still a lot. There is a stack 2 inches thick in my fire safe of cards that only get occasional use. I long for the day when my smartphone replaces all.

Then there's keys. Every car comes with a fat, chipped laser-cut key, and a separate boop-boop for unlocking the door. 10 years ago I just duplicated keys in brass and dumped the fat ones. But now they have chips. On my Subaru WRX one MUST use the boop-boop to unlock, or the %$^&* alarm goes off. 3 cars is a lotta' bulky keys.

And the phone.

If I carried everything everybody wants me to carry, I'd need my old GI web belt to hang it all.

So carrying $10-20 in coins is not my idea of progress.
Old Mar 4, 11, 2:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by scubadiver View Post

So carrying $10-20 in coins is not my idea of progress.
I respectively disagree. Dollar coins are cheaper and much more efficient.

look in your wallet now - do you really have $20 single dollar bills? i'd be shocked if you did. With the $5 bill still being around, you'd never have more then 4 dollar coins in your pocket at one time, which ways slightly more the 4 quarters. really not that big of a deal

Search this Thread
Search Engine: