Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smidget
FYI my 2/22 shipped today for delivery tomorrow.
Did UPS start tracking already?

My 2/21 finally showed shipped on Mint site. UPS still has no info in its system. I really need them delivered tomorrow morning as we are leaving for airport around noon tomorrow for a 2 weeks trip.

I already informed Mint yesterday of our upcoming absence from home. So in case the packages arrive and are delivered to somebody while we are gone instead of returning to them the Mint would know the delivery is bogus.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Did UPS start tracking already?

My 2/21 finally showed shipped on Mint site. UPS still has no info in its system. I really need them delivered tomorrow morning as we are leaving for airport around noon tomorrow for a 2 weeks trip.

I already informed Mint yesterday of our upcoming absence from home. So in case the packages arrive and are delivered to somebody while we are gone instead of returning to them the Mint would know the delivery is bogus.
Nope, I'm just going by history for myself, when it says shipped, I don't get any tracking information until the day of delivery.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by clevername
Same experience with same date & amount; went to process then back to hold. Another order placed on 2/24 is now in process. Card not charged on either transaction.
That is weird. The authorization never went through on this either, on all my other mint orders it always shows a pending transaction on am ex's site the date of the order but never charges and then again on the day it moves to shipped and that charge does process. I had an order from January that they split into 2-$500 orders and they never charged the 2nd $500 until last week, so I am wondering if that has something to do with it, though it shouldn't.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
That is weird. The authorization never went through on this either, on all my other mint orders it always shows a pending transaction on am ex's site the date of the order but never charges and then again on the day it moves to shipped and that charge does process. I had an order from January that they split into 2-$500 orders and they never charged the 2nd $500 until last week, so I am wondering if that has something to do with it, though it shouldn't.
someone reported (a long time ago) that they had a previous ordered that had not been correctly charged and at some point in the future their orders started staying on hold because of the unpaid order. Once the unpaid order was taken care of things started flowing again.

UPDATE: I didn't read post close enough, if the previous order was already charged it shouldn't cause a problem. Main idea still stands, if you have an uncharged order it may affect new orders.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smidget
Nope, I'm just going by history for myself, when it says shipped, I don't get any tracking information until the day of delivery.
Mine are mixed. Usually UPS starts to show Receiving Shipment Info but package has not delivered to UPS for transportation yet ... that type of wordings. If this shows up in the afternoon, the package would arrive next morning 99% of the time. If such wordings show up late at night, it is 50/50 - half of the time the package would not be there the next day but the day after.

Right now UPS does not even have shipping info - it simply does not recognize the tracking number, meaning Mint not even sends UPS shipment info. If this does not turn into Shipment Info Received by UPS late at the day, I am afraid they would not come tomorrow. And I have to first ask if UPS could hold it till our return as well as inform Mint what UPS says.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:16 pm

My 2/24 order is still in progress and reserved.. The cancel checkbox is gone..However I am on vacation and out of country mar 6 - 13..... what happens if no one is home to sign ?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by benmaller
someone reported (a long time ago) that they had a previous ordered that had not been correctly charged and at some point in the future their orders started staying on hold because of the unpaid order. Once the unpaid order was taken care of things started flowing again.

UPDATE: I didn't read post close enough, if the previous order was already charged it shouldn't cause a problem. Main idea still stands, if you have an uncharged order it may affect new orders.
I have seen other posters state that the mint sends them a letter for payment. In my case they just charged the card, which seems like the logical and most economical and time consuming thing to do. They should try charging the card used with the order first.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: United Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
My 2/24 order is still in progress and reserved.. The cancel checkbox is gone..However I am on vacation and out of country mar 6 - 13..... what happens if no one is home to sign ?
Call UPS and ask them to hold it after the 1st delivery. UPS is required to try to deliver 3 times before sending it back to shipper. You can call after the 1st attempt for holding. I am pretty sure your 2/24 order will ship in a day or two.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by monkey99
Call UPS and ask them to hold it after the 1st delivery. UPS is required to try to deliver 3 times before sending it back to shipper. You can call after the 1st attempt for holding. I am pretty sure your 2/24 order will ship in a day or two.
You are better off waiting until the third delivery (problem is some of these guys try in the am and pm, and then count it as twice) ... at that point, they'd return it to the sender. If you call they will hold it for 5 days. Not sure if they'd make any special deal for you being away. It's a major PITA to coordinate, at least with my UPS office
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by GoingAway
If you call they will hold it for 5 days.
Five business days (i.e., one week).
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
You are better off waiting until the third delivery (problem is some of these guys try in the am and pm, and then count it as twice) ... at that point, they'd return it to the sender. If you call they will hold it for 5 days. Not sure if they'd make any special deal for you being away. It's a major PITA to coordinate, at least with my UPS office
I might be wrong on this but if I read the UPS notice correctly they attempt 3 times and then still hold your package for 5 business days before sending it back. I am sure your local UPS deport can make special arrangements if you tell them you are out of town (YMMV on this).
Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
You still have time.

If the status does not change to ship by March 4, call Mint to tell them you would be out of the country March 6 and 13. A good CSR would notate your order without you even ask. Mine did that by herself on the order I called and notated the rest once I told her there were more.

This way the Mint is informed that the package would either be held by UPS until you return and pick it up, or be returned by UPS as non-delivery.

UPS only holds un-delivered packages for 5 business days. Any longer than that you have to specially arrange with the local depot.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:32 pm

I read through the last 10 pages and didn't find an answer - forgive me for not reading every page.

Who is footing the bill here?

I mean, is the US Mint getting the shaft here, or is it the credit card companies? I'm stoked if it's the latter, not so much if the former.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: CO, DL, SW, SPG, CapitalOne Venture
Originally Posted by mshah
I might be wrong on this but if I read the UPS notice correctly they attempt 3 times and then still hold your package for 5 business days before sending it back. I am sure your local UPS deport can make special arrangements if you tell them you are out of town (YMMV on this).
I've had the same experience (5 days after 3 delieries). UPS is very good at making accomodations. You should give them a call.

I've called the main UPS facility and asked them to come a 4th time. My UPS driver even told me to meet him at th local Staples at a certain time if I miss the 10 a.m.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
I read through the last 10 pages and didn't find an answer - forgive me for not reading every page.

Who is footing the bill here?

I mean, is the US Mint getting the shaft here, or is it the credit card companies? I'm stoked if it's the latter, not so much if the former.
Nobody is "footing the bill":

The Mint makes money selling cash for less than it costs to manufacture.

UPS makes money off of the shipping fees and keeps those guys in brown shorts in shape.

Credit card/Banks make money off of the cc discount rate for basically doing nothing else.

Airlines make money by selling the points to the credit card departments of the banks hoping that those points will expire.

Hotels make money when you travel and redeem points for nights that they can't sell otherwise.

Armored transport companies make money transporting the coins to the Fed to store them (because they are too lazy to require the banks to use them).

Warehouse owners make money renting empty warehouses to the Federal Reserve to store all of these coins.

Security guards make money watching these coins go nowhere.

Tellers should be happy because they have a job to begin with, counting the coins when we make deposits.

Costco makes money every time I fill my gas tank to go to the bank and make a deposit.

THE BANKS ARE MAKING MONEY BECAUSE THEY ARE CHARGING HOMEOWNERS, CREDIT CARD CUSTOMERS AND EVERYONE ELSE > 5-24% FOR MONEY THAT THEY GET ELECTRONICALLY FROM THE FED FOR NEXT TO NOTHING. (<1%)

They only one getting the shaft is the customers buying the coins being forced to play this ridiculous game of ordering every 10 days.

Last edited by mrpickles; Mar 2, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.