Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jan 7, 09, 10:32 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by aau View Post
There is a huge thread at slickdeals right now about this error. People actually think the US mint is going to send them $500 for free(or $5 shipping).
Well, I was hoping my sarcasm would have been detected in my last post

No, I do not think I'll be getting a free $500, I was trying to make a comment about the buggy ordering process -- as those who have been following this thread have other seen examples, and this is just but a new one.

I don't go to slickdeals so, wouldn't have known about that discussion anyway.

Originally Posted by freeflyin View Post
I saw this over at SD-I'm afraid all this will do is mess up the system for those of us that have been placing orders all along.I imagine the Mint is going to take a much closer look at all orders now.
Well, the mint introduced a bug, of course they're going to make sure they don't send free $500 out to people because of the bug. People using the system to try and place an order is hardly what I call 'messing it up for those of you who have been placing orders all along'.

Seriously, IMO once the bug is fixed, and they've made sure no one is getting free coins, they will put no more scrutiny into orders than there already is.

Oh, also noticed that instead of my order being 'on hold' or better yet 'in process', my order is actually 'suspended'. So, it seems the system itself is flagging orders that have a component in it that is priced at $0.
Old Jan 7, 09, 10:40 am

Programs: UA General
When I brought my first set of coins in, my CU told me they had to pay to ship the coins back to US Mint. *Sigh*

They did wonder why I had so many coins. I told them "to boost my credit score". Hehe!!
Old Jan 7, 09, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
No Presidents for Sale this evening

Only Native American - Agriculture Coins available. What's up with that?
Old Jan 7, 09, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beachmiles View Post
Perhaps everyone on the 'other forum' thought they could get some 'free money' and they bought up all the coins???
Old Jan 7, 09, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Perhaps everyone on the 'other forum' thought they could get some 'free money' and they bought up all the coins???
Sounds about right!
Old Jan 7, 09, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by thehawk75 View Post
Seriously, IMO once the bug is fixed, and they've made sure no one is getting free coins, they will put no more scrutiny into orders than there already is.
I agree - I ordered my $500 of the "coin formerly known as the Sacagawea dollar" (which they appear to be from the image) because I don't expect to sneak through anything more than $500 per (and have maxed the presidents thus far).
Old Jan 7, 09, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond, AA, Delta, United,
Are the President going to come back? If not , are there other coins in a Native American series.

That might work better for me anyway, since there were more Native Americans than Presidents.
Old Jan 7, 09, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by TheRoadIsLife View Post
Are the President going to come back? If not , are there other coins in a Native American series.

That might work better for me anyway, since there were more Native Americans than Presidents.
From the picture it just looks like the Sacagawea dollar that has been around since 2000.
Old Jan 7, 09, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehawk75 View Post
From the picture it just looks like the Sacagawea dollar that has been around since 2000.
The obverse is similar, but slightly different; the reverse is very different.
The obverse design remains the central figure of the "Sacagawea" design first produced in 2000, and contains the inscriptions LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST. The reverse design changes each year to celebrate an important contribution of Indian tribes, or individual Native Americans, and contain the inscriptions $1 and UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Like the Presidential $1 Coins, the Native American $1 Coins maintain their distinctive edge and golden color and feature edge-lettering of the year, mint mark and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

In general, five distinct $1 coins will be issued each year -- four Presidential $1 Coins and one Native American $1 Coin. After the completion of the Presidential $1 Coin Program, the Native American $1 Coin Program will continue, featuring designs in any order determined to be appropriate by the Secretary of the Treasury after consultation with the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs, the House of Representatives Congressional Native American Caucus and the National Congress of American Indians.
http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/...ican/index.cfm

Compare the designs:
http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/...tion=sacDesign
http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/...ction=NADesign
Old Jan 8, 09, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by beachmiles View Post
Just bought James Madison coins for $500. Perhaps the bug is fixed.
Old Jan 8, 09, 10:03 am

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Just ordered $500 of the Native American coins...

Was charged $500 too... (free shipping)

Link? Oops. It is the same link as the original post. http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...category=16238

Last edited by boulderlaw; Jan 8, 09 at 10:12 am
Old Jan 8, 09, 10:31 am

In for $500
Old Jan 8, 09, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New Chinese-box packaging for shipping from the Mint?

My latest shipment arrived in a huge box this time, inside are 2 boxes, and each one contains a tightly sealed box of 250 coins.

I'm not complaining; this is probably a better way than leaving a small box that probably everyone knows by now contains real dollars.
Old Jan 8, 09, 10:24 pm

Programs: JGC / OW Sapphire
No foreign credit cards allowed

Well, I hope this hasn't already been mentioned--I didn't read all 1330+ posts.

The US Mint will not let you order the coins using a credit card billed to a foreign address if you're shipping to a US address. I tried it. I wanted to send some money to my parents in NC, figured I'd just use my Japan-based credit card and have it sent for free by the Mint. Nice try.

btw, the website said it was pending credit card authorization, I called the Mint, they said, "Hey-it just cleared and will be there in a week". A couple of days later I received a cancellation e-mail. I called again and they said "You can have the coins sent to your foreign billing address, but not to a US address." Completely counter-productive to my needs. Oh, well.
Old Jan 8, 09, 11:34 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Ditto the hope this hasn't been mentioned bit since I''m not going to go through all the thousands of previous posts...
The first time I took my 1,000 coins to the bank I thought it would be quickest to not open anything so they wouldn't have to worry about counting them, but of course I should have known they're not going to trust the U.S. Mint and I had to wait while two tellers broke each roll open and put them all through their machine for counting. Good thing they did too, since the mint apparently shorted me $1. How is that possible?! But how do I know it wasn't the bank's counting error? "It's not," the teller assured me. Well o.k. then. I guess I'll just have to withhold that $1 from my tax total this spring. That'll show them who they're trying to mess with.
So is everyone having their unopened coin rolls opened and counted while you wait there for verification or is it just my bank? Just curious.
Anyway, now I just have all the coins bagged and ready for them to dump through their machine and save myself a lot of time. The tellers aren't nearly as annoyed either.

Last edited by brasov02; Jan 8, 09 at 11:42 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: