Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:10 pm

Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I got free shipping on the $250 order as well. I just read the faq sticky which I should have done before posting, my bad. It said orders of $500+ are delivered UPS Next Day Air.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I posted the 10 business day, because one of my orders had aa CC put on hold, I called and that is what they said.

Just trying to pass on some useful information, that I was told today on the phone..

Been doing the Coins for a few years now, and go with the flow..
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: Lotz
Somewhat off topic maybe- does anyone know if the Chase Visa giftcards count as spend for Chase? (I know $4.95 fee & only Chase cards). Got a 10K Chase spend and hoping to mix it up.

Nothing in the T&C

https://www.chasewebgiftpurchase.com/

Last edited by tassojunior; Feb 15, 2011 at 8:02 pm
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:11 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by User Name
Mrs User Name and I have been doing $1000 each every 11 days for several months with no issues, always on separate cards.

Today we both got CC decline e-mails for our most recent orders (Feb 10 - checked - both cards look fine). I'm assuming at this stage that the Mint's CC auth crapped out rather than falling foul of the 10-day timing balls-up mentioned recently.
Same here... I got a failure email but a relative's shipped just fine. It's funny that when the CC "failed" prior to shipping, they can email you. However, if they ship the coins and forget to charge you, they send a nasty letter

Originally Posted by ordua
usps just drops the box by the door when no one is home
Really?!? They are required to get a signature at the time of delivery. I had it where they left a package with my neighbor. I called UPS and it didn't happen again.

Originally Posted by ntjane66
If you order $500, you will get free shipping. You should also have to sign for it at $500. I don't know if it is any faster.
They now ship all orders for free, per the PAGE HERE. I'll have the Sticky updated.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
However, if they ship the coins and forget to charge you, they send a nasty letter

I had two boxes of coins ship last month I haven't been charged for. I ordered 2 boxes each of 2 different kinds and they shipped them a few days apart from each other and never billed me for the second shipment. I have had a couple other orders ship since then and my credit card has been billed, first time I hadn't been billed.

I have no issues paying for the coins at all and figure they will eventually catch it. When they send you "the letter" do you have the option of paying with a credit card (where you get the points) or do they expect you to mail a check in? Why don't they just charge the credit card given out when you placed the order after they catch their mistake first instead of going through the hassle of contacting the buyer?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Somewhat off topic maybe- does anyone know if the Chase Visa giftcards count as spend for Chase?
No, completely off topic.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
No, completely off topic.
+1
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
I have not had an order ship since 1/23. Immediately after I order my order goes to hold. I called 8 days after constant hold status and was told I violated the 10 day rule (which I didn't). Tried cancelling and ordering again and still on hold. Just called CS and she told me "thank god this program is going away soon." She took my order over the phone after cancelling my previous order, and its still showing as hold!

I give up!
You and thousands of other people needlessly calling the US Mint is one of the reasons they are considering killing the program in its current form.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by tassojunior
I've never had merchandise, much less cash, ship before I was charged but this morning I got 1K delivered and it's still not on cc.
My first (& so far only) coin order was for $750. $500 of one kind of coin, $250 of another in the same order.

The $500 ones came immediately, along with a CC charge of $250. The other box ($250 coins) came veerrrryyyy slowly via FedEx SmartPost. It's been 2 weeks since I received the original box, and the $250 charge is still the only thing they've billed. Our U.S. Government at work... you'd think they would figure out to charge before you ship, like every other business!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by dweick
You and thousands of other people needlessly calling the US Mint is one of the reasons they are considering killing the program in its current form.
+1 People calling the mint like this are helping to kill this good thing a lot faster.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
+1 People calling the mint like this are helping to kill this good thing a lot faster.
+1 billion. Seriously people.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:16 am

Having isues with Citi AA business visa

my authorizations with this card is failing. I called them ( citi ) and they said that nothing is wrong on my account and that they are processing my orders from mint.

i even looked at my available credit seems like some orders are double pre authorized but my latest orders are not even authorizing as of last week. 2 cycle ( 10 days not authorizing ). I also received a decline email.

I was about to call but then i read here that calling them is a big no no. so i would just let it go.

thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
on a slightly off topic note...

I went to a bank with a box of coins yesterday and the teller knew me. She used to work in another branch--one that stopped wanting to take coins. She said ah, I know what YOU are here for! I said, is this ok? She said, yes, at this branch it is, and I never quite understood why it wasnt in the other one.

At this point the manager, overhearing us, came over to ask what was up. Teller said I was depositing coins and the manager turned to me and said,

Sir, as a customer here, you are welcomed to deposit any form of currency. We as a bank are obligated to accept it.

I cleaned the wax out of my ears as she went on to say,

And if other branches are giving you trouble with this, just contact me and I will deal with them.

She then instructed the tellers to just take my unopened boxes of $250 coinage and credit my account immediately.

I thought I was back in the mid 60's at the time Andy Dufrain from the Shawshank Redemption walked into Maine National and withdrew all that money.

As the teller did account work, we chatted later on how some branches will not accept them, some want to charge a fee because they say the pick up armored truck will charge them a fee, and some want to bag and weigh the coins which can screw up the deposit amount. And how another branch of the same bank said they could take them but they have to take 2-3 weeks to verify the deposit.

This manager offered to take my coins any time and I said I would bring them in whatever form she deemed convenient. While she appreciated this gesture, she said, You bring them as they come to you. That's fine.

Well a few things come to mind:

1) How long will SHE have her job

2) I hope she's there every time I bring in coins

3) this gig will end now that I finally found a bank that accepts my drops

4) while we often do try to make it easier on the banks, they never ever say what she said, and what she said IS true but every bank will have you believe otherwise, while hiding behind a cloak of security and suspicion
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
This is FT's own problem. If people really cared about keeping the program alive, a moderator or OP would put in the largest boldest font at the beginning of the first post to not call the Mint. And in all other mint FAQ threads. Otherwise there is no basis for complaining about newbs doing this.

I'm not saying I condone people calling but really, there has been minimal effort on FT to create obvious warnings against it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.