Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by branman1986
Which would you rather throw at the authorities while they're chasing you down...coins or bills?
coins.
then they get their money and I get away cuz it boggs them down.

It reminds me of a time back in college when some drunk smelly kid thought my dorm room was his pal's so he kept banging on the door for an hour yelling for some dude to come out he thought lived there. Finally I opened it really fast and poured liquid TIDE detergent all over his shirt. I had this in my room for when I had to do laundry so I figured, why not? This got him very angry but then he must have smelled it or touched it because it then got him to go away and I knew that ultimately he could not be pissed at me because it was a cleaner.

Similarly, I think if you threw money at someone they cannot be upset at you:

Another instance in college was at a party where I could just not get a beer for the life of me and my GF. I saw these two guys just standing there with beers not drinking them for what seemed like ages, so I took them right out of their hands and gave one to my girlfriend. As the two guys were just about to get pissed off at me (and rightfully so) I whipped out a $10 for each and stuffed it in their raised palms and we walked off. What could they do? And $10 for anything was a ton of money in the 80s, but hey I was making fake IDs so I had money lol
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
but hey I was making fake IDs so I had money lol
You're killing me

I also like how you stink up city hall with hidden dirty diapers while having to pay your taxes. City hall especially hates taking crap from ANYBODY.

You live life on the edge. I like that.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
what's up with the tracking numbers they send in the ship confirm email? I get 4 lines of numbers:

Amount Charged : 1000.00

Tracking ID

4924xxxxxxxx
2956xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
9102xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1ZE1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Items included in this shipment:

And only the last line looks like a UPS tracking number. And then when I check at the UPS tracking site with that last number, I get:

>>> UPS could not locate the shipment details for your request. Please verify your information and try again later.

Hopefully UPS will have it in their system by tomorrow - it just seems weird that usmint sent me a tracking number and UPS doesn't recognize it.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by huge
Hopefully UPS will have it in their system by tomorrow - it just seems weird that usmint sent me a tracking number and UPS doesn't recognize it.
This happens all the time. Sit back and relax!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: HH Gold
Anyone give coins as wedding presents?

Congrats on the wedding here's 5 pounds of coins.....
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
You're killing me

I also like how you stink up city hall with hidden dirty diapers while having to pay your taxes. City hall especially hates taking crap from ANYBODY.

You live life on the edge. I like that.
hehehehe
I went to an interview and the ad--and the interviewer said 'we need someone who thinks out of the box'

I said, I am here because I cannot think IN the box! and I cant.

Originally Posted by goodtricks

Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:18 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold

I did actually last month. I told the bride and groom that i was "going green" and didn't want to waste paper on a check. don't know if they believed me
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THIS is a great idea!!!!!!!!!

especially for when you are invited to a wedding for people you don't even like or know too much.

I wondeer if the mint can gift wrap
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:42 am

Anyone order the new coins and have them ship yet? I went with the old faithfuls for my previous order just in case they had shipping issues, just wondering!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Smidget
Anyone order the new coins and have them ship yet? I went with the old faithfuls for my previous order just in case they had shipping issues, just wondering!
I ordered two boxes of lincoln and two of Pierce saturday and this morning they are showing up in progress, and the option to cancel is gone, so that is usually a good sign when the cancel option is gone that they will ship soon
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:34 am

I'm wondering if anyone actually does this Mint thing for anything except hitting spending requirements on new cards.

Otherwise, how can the effort be worth it?* I mean, for 25K miles (or 25% more, if using SPG card), you have to:

- Diligently reorder every 10 days for 250 days
- Go through the trouble of spending the coins or taking them to a depository institution, and often waiting for a long time to get them deposited

Is this really worth the equivalent of a few hundred bucks? I've certainly ordered my share for spending requirements, but after that I lost steam because the reward just didn't seem large enough.

Am I missing something or does everyone broadly agree?

*If you use the trick to get past the 1k/10day limit, then I suppose the timing issue goes away but the transport/depositing nuisance remains.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
I'm wondering if anyone actually does this Mint thing for anything except hitting spending requirements on new cards.

Otherwise, how can the effort be worth it?* I mean, for 25K miles (or 25% more, if using SPG card), you have to:

- Diligently reorder every 10 days for 250 days
- Go through the trouble of spending the coins or taking them to a depository institution, and often waiting for a long time to get them deposited

Is this really worth the equivalent of a few hundred bucks? I've certainly ordered my share for spending requirements, but after that I lost steam because the reward just didn't seem large enough.

*If you use the trick to get past the 1k/10day limit, then I suppose the timing issue goes away but the transport/depositing nuisance remains.
That is my understanding of the usefulness currently. Although I'm guilty of being so lazy that the 4,000 I bought are just sitting on top of my fridge, so I guess I used it as a debit card!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:12 am
Suspended

taking them to a depository institution, and often waiting for a long time to get them deposited

Not everyone encounters the situation you describe above. Some of us are fortunate to bank very close to home/work. Depositing them takes, all told, maybe 10 min out of my day. Longer if I talk to the attractive young tellers for a bit.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:38 am

Lots of people (not everyone posts) get 5k or so coins and deposit them all at once. Sure, they build up a lot of ill will from the bank tellers - who repeat their story to everyone that comes in with coins - but they get 5k miles out of it so what do they care.

Some people need to think about the long term, but I guess that isn't the point of this thread.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:44 am

What’s with the small font size? I almost missed this part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.