Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: Several dozen
Mintfunk

Physical addresses sail on through ASAP. PO addresses go on hold. Looks like a pattern here. Suspect POs go through a manual review process. Time to get physical with the mint and not go postal on 'em?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Maybe it's buried in the 880-odd pages of threads, but can we take these to the post office to convert into money orders?

Given the purpose of these coins is to put them in circulation, I'd rather stop by the post office, get the MOs, which I can deposit to the bank instead of the coins.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:17 pm

You can, if post office is willing to take that many coins ..People have mentioned doing this with wMart. Infact I remember some one mentioned wMart called police for this

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Maybe it's buried in the 880-odd pages of threads, but can we take these to the post office to convert into money orders?

Given the purpose of these coins is to put them in circulation, I'd rather stop by the post office, get the MOs, which I can deposit to the bank instead of the coins.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: Lotz
Is there any way to add some "filler" to an order so it doesn't always appear on the cc as "Dollar Coins". That's the way it always appears on my AmEx's and that makes me nervous.

The specific item listing is OFC DOLLAR COIN $1000

Would adding a filler negate the free shipping?

Last edited by tassojunior; Feb 11, 2011 at 1:53 pm
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:13 pm

can't combine coin and non-coin purchase in a single order from mint. Mint implemented this step specifically to let card issuers know it's a dollar coin purchase.

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Is there any way to add some "filler" to an order so it doesn't always appear on the cc as "Dollar Coins". That's the way it always appears on my AmEx's and that makes me nervous.

Last edited by mshah; Feb 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:44 pm
/M3

I tried using 2 dollar coins at the post office today to send a package out and the woman did not even want to take them. She asked if I could pay with bills instead and I told her that its the same thing. She did not even want to put it in the register.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber

I remember an ad naseum discussion. I even bought a couple MO's at the post office. Thread searched "money order post office"....looks like it was discussed July-Oct 2009.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Bump

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
Sorry if I sounded snarky.

Try doing a search of this thread using "post office". You will find the subject was broached July 8th on page 185, and then discussed in depth beginning (?) Sept 4th on page 272.

There isn't a table of contents or index to this thread. Any savants or border collies looking for something to do?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:43 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by tassojunior

Maybe one day AmEx will care ... but for right now, they dont.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:38 pm
xp0

I guess just be careful? Dont want a FR. *knock on wood* Seems most of us have been OK. Seems there are stories of a few people getting pinched. Makes you wonder if there is another reason for it and not just coins. I am sure many of us max out our cards, pay them mid month, and buy more coins. Use specific cards for only coins, etc.

Dunno...
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
Sorry if I sounded snarky.

Try doing a search of this thread using "post office". You will find the subject was broached July 8th on page 185, and then discussed in depth beginning (?) Sept 4th on page 272.

There isn't a table of contents or index to this thread. Any savants or border collies looking for something to do?
Don't bother posting page numbers, because they can be different for each user. You can customize how many posts show up per page. For example, this thread only has 330 pages in total, for me.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by /M3
I tried using 2 dollar coins at the post office today to send a package out and the woman did not even want to take them. She asked if I could pay with bills instead and I told her that its the same thing. She did not even want to put it in the register.
In our post office, the stamp machine gives change in dollar coins. Given that, it seems strange that the clerk would be hesitant.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by deant
In our post office, the stamp machine gives change in dollar coins. Given that, it seems strange that the clerk would be hesitant.
+1
The vending machines at my post office give the dollars too. If the PO can dish them out they ought to be able to take them. Perhaps the problem is that they don't have a good place in their register drawer to put them.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by deant
heck mine took $1k of them to buy a money order hahahaha ($1.50 fee added to it with more coins)
of course it wasnt the same PO I actually get them shipped to--and one PO will NOT do MOs from them.

but yes, we have stores in the area like the greek pizza place across the street from the PO that will not take the coins. The reasons:

1) no slot in the register holds them

2) the bank wont take them from the business for some reason. or so they say.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by xp0
Maybe one day AmEx will care ... but for right now, they dont.
They have cared for a few folks here. Hopefully it's just when on a new or extended balance a human gets involved and sees what appears to be a lot of cash being withdrawn on the card. They could classify these as cash equivalent withdrawals anytime they wanted- obviously they don't because they're getting their % and that's what matters. The mint is selling a product with part of the cost the % to the cc co.

Last edited by tassojunior; Feb 11, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.