Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by BigBonusPoints
I am a little late to the party and just ordered my first box of a $1000 coins last week.
Generally how long does shipping take?
Are they shipped by the USPS?
Any tips for taking them to the bank?

Any advice helps.
My advice would be to read the sticky first.

Sticky: US Mint Dollar Coin FAQ - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING IN COIN THREAD
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by longtimereader
If I place an order today is the next order date a week from Sunday or a week from Monday? Thanks for any help.
10 days

Tomorrow is 1 day
Saturday is 2 days

see if you can't figure it out from there
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:24 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by branman1986
I'm going to hell for this one...

Sit in the middle of one of the back pews during church and during the offering, swap out some of the bigger bills in the collection plate with coin rolls
I admire your chutzpah and creativity, sir. And yes, basically anything for which I can't use a credit card, I use coins.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Clearly a red flag.

They intend to count the coins at some later date while you're not present, and very likely not even at the same location -- so they'll be handled by multiple parties. Then, if they find the count to be off the stated deposit amount, they'll debit your account. Considering the coins are still cash (quite untraceable), big red flag.

And let me guess... this is Bank of America, and somewhere on the west coast, right?

Search this thread. Bank of America has dinged a few of us here, and not insignificant amounts -- like 3% of the deposit amount. B of A also tried to do this counting a week later after accepting the deposit nonsense without informing me they were going to do so, and, they didn't even bag them in my presence.

I've recovered all money they debited from me, but, not because they would admit they have a stupid policy, but because they were 'doing me a favor'. Others were not so lucky. Thus I never go to B of A to make the deposit. Too much risk.
What I found really odd was that they put the coins in the bagged still rolled. If a bank is going to send them through their change counter they usually want them unwrapped and in the bag sealed
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
They have had that limit for a while. For me using the Hilton Am Ex is worth it. Charging $36K would only require $4k more in spending the entire year to maintain Diamond status and the $36K in coins would net me 108K points. I just booked a hotel room in Miami in late march with 50K hilton points a night that is $640 a night otherwise plus tax, so we are looking at probably $675. I would say for $1,350 and diamond status at hilton it is worth it for me but I can have the coins shipped right to my office and walk them to the bank and my bank is glad to deposit them since they don't have to pay the mint to order them.
Same reason I'm putting in my first coin purchase. Hilton Diamond status with the 40k spend
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:43 pm

What I found really odd was that they put the coins in the bagged still rolled. If a bank is going to send them through their change counter they usually want them unwrapped and in the bag sealed
Yeah in my case the coins were stilled rolled .. I had not opened a single one of the 20 rolls.. The girl at counter just counted the number of rolls...and it was 20 ...How can BofA stiffle after all this? Aren't there cameras above cashiers which can be used to prove that I deposited what the mint gave me?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Clearly a red flag.

They intend to count the coins at some later date while you're not present, and very likely not even at the same location -- so they'll be handled by multiple parties. Then, if they find the count to be off the stated deposit amount, they'll debit your account. Considering the coins are still cash (quite untraceable), big red flag.

And let me guess... this is Bank of America, and somewhere on the west coast, right?

Search this thread. Bank of America has dinged a few of us here, and not insignificant amounts -- like 3% of the deposit amount. B of A also tried to do this counting a week later after accepting the deposit nonsense without informing me they were going to do so, and, they didn't even bag them in my
presence.

I've recovered all money they debited from me, but, not because they would admit they have a stupid policy, but because they were 'doing me a favor'. Others were not so lucky. Thus I never go to B of A to make the deposit. Too much risk.
I was planning on using BOA as it's right across the street from my apt. Is there a bank that people have had more success with?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dweick
10 days

Tomorrow is 1 day
Saturday is 2 days

Not always the case. If you order before midnight in your local time but it is past midnight for the Mint, they will use tomorrows date but you ordered today. In that case tomorrow for you would be day 0.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I'm going to hell for this one...

Sit in the middle of one of the back pews during church and during the offering, swap out some of the bigger bills in the collection plate with coin rolls
that's genius!
I have used coins for offering plate money but not that! yet.
BUT what I also did was go into the church the other day to make our annual donation... in coins. In their boxes! to the minister. the church office clerk was not there. Minister loved it! hahaha

Originally Posted by swintec
There is no reason to tell then what you are doing. When it dawns on them that they are losing out money and time wise so you can make a few miles, someone will put a stop to it.
I agree. I would only tell it's for miles if absolutely pressed for it, and then I would most likely never visit that branch again. I have said it before: In some circles, once someone knows you are getting something out of something, they either want a piece or they want to stop you from doing it or charge you something TO do it. It's some strange part of human nature.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Using 2 credit cards

Post Deleted.

Last edited by lsk5013; Jan 28, 2011 at 10:16 am Reason: Deletion
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by dweick
10 days

Tomorrow is 1 day
Saturday is 2 days

How many days is Sunday?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:42 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by ddallas
I agree it is not worth it as a money making enterprise in itself. But I do find it worthwhile to do the coins to meet spend requirements of credit card promos.
Bingo!

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but just thought of another good use for the coins. Liquor/wine stores & gas stations that charge a 5% premium for paying with credit cards.
Yeah, the folks at Specs hate when we come because the know they're getting several rolls of coins. But if they'd rather deal with coins than paying credit card fees, that's their choice.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by goodtricks
Same reason I'm putting in my first coin purchase. Hilton Diamond status with the 40k spend
I always do my first $40K on spending (with merchants that take am ex) every year for diamond then move it an Am Ex with delta where you can get MQMs after $25K in spending.

I am finding the points at hilton when I use them to be valueable though. I did a rewards stayu in NYC at the double tree in times square new years weekend that would have been over $7k for 150K points and a promo certificate for the other night.

I am giong to Miami in March and have a room that will probably be $670 after tax a night for 50K points a night. That puts the value per point at 1.35 cents for that stay. With a 1,000 mint order that comes out to over $40 so three orders a month is $120. Not bad. And plus you are getting all the benefits of being diamond on top of that
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: Any and All
nebermind
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:36 am

Thumbs down

Which Am Ex Delta card gives you MQMs after $25K in spending?

I always do my first $40K on spending (with merchants that take am ex) every year for diamond then move it an Am Ex with delta where you can get MQMs after $25K in spending.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.