Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by ryanlion2
I have ordered 4 Boxes before ($1000 order), and upon checking today, I see that the Mint has instituted an order limit of 4 boxes per household every 10 days.
Basically, if I order the $1000 limit each and every 10-day period, then I will have 36 total orders for the year (365/10 is more or less 36). Consequently, the MR points I will have earned in that year on my AMEX will be 36,000 MR points. I am assuming a 1% redemption value, after taking into account such liquidity transactions like redeeming points for gift cards and selling those cards online. This entire year's work of dealing with bank tellers, waiting at home for the signature-required shipments, and everything else nets me $360.00. That doesn't seem worth it to me. Is the Jig Up???
As mentioned, the limit is not new and has been in place for a while.

I have 2 different cards that get 2% cash back, ^ another with 1.5%. Don't have to deal with GCs or selling them online.

Using your math, that's $720/year. But knowing how to circumvent the limit gets that higher.

If I went for ffms, that would be 25K miles for a ~$500 ticket (14 day advance price) and again is 2%. So for me 2% is the bottom line. Not a bad return considering the BEST bank rate is just over 1%/year. Churn $1K in coins every 10 days at 2% and that's 72%/year! And even better, it's with somebody else's money!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:23 am
Pup

Originally Posted by OnScholarship
Thank you for the interesting option. Do you have to use the Amtrak CC or are you abe to transfer miles/points from other rewards programs?
Continental and Starwood both transfer 1:1 and until September, Amex Membership Rewards transfer 1:1 via Continental.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: Several dozen
And don't forget banker's interest is 1099'd. But let's hear more about spending the coins and less about attempts to circumvent limits. Take a clue from the recent GC crash and burn.

Originally Posted by MojaveJack
I have 2 different cards that get 2% cash back, ^ another with 1.5%. Don't have to deal with GCs or selling them online.

Using your math, that's $720/year. But knowing how to circumvent the limit gets that higher.

If I went for ffms, that would be 25K miles for a ~$500 ticket (14 day advance price) and again is 2%. So for me 2% is the bottom line. Not a bad return considering the BEST bank rate is just over 1%/year. Churn $1K in coins every 10 days at 2% and that's 72%/year! And even better, it's with somebody else's money!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta, AA, United, Frontier, SPG, Hhonors, Hertz
Shipping Times and Carrier

I am a little late to the party and just ordered my first box of a $1000 coins last week.
Generally how long does shipping take?
Are they shipped by the USPS?
Any tips for taking them to the bank?

Any advice helps.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm going to hell for this one...

Sit in the middle of one of the back pews during church and during the offering, swap out some of the bigger bills in the collection plate with coin rolls
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by branman1986

Sit in the middle of one of the back pews during church and during the offering, swap out some of the bigger bills in the collection plate with coin rolls
I tithed 20lbs of coins this week. Definitely got some odd looks..
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

LOL. I thought about using them for donations in the offering plate since my church doesn't do e-giving and only takes checks and cash. Only problem is those offering envelopes are tiny and I want the tax deduction at year end. I wonder if I put my name on each roll if they would make sure to credit my year end receipt for them
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigBonusPoints
I am a little late to the party and just ordered my first box of a $1000 coins last week.
Generally how long does shipping take?
Are they shipped by the USPS?
Any tips for taking them to the bank?

Any advice helps.
Shipping is overnight or 2nd day butit can take up to a week before they ship out
UPS/Fed Ex generally
Be honest, go at low peak times, and ask if it creates any problems, and if so, how can you accomodate them
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta, AA, United, Frontier, SPG, Hhonors, Hertz
Credit Score

Is there any potential benefit or downfall for your credit score? If I go from around 30k per year on my card to around 66k will that help my score?

Just thinking about all the angles.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just thought of another angle. Going to coin all my "itinerant" workers that help me renovate/fix my rentals. They pay like a crazy 8% check cashing fee anyways so they may welcome it.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:08 am

Is any one still waiting on their 1/21. 1/22, 1/23 orders? All my orders starting 1/21 are still "on hold" ...got pre-auth on all orders but nothing is moving to "in process" as of now...
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Just thought of another angle. Going to coin all my "itinerant" workers that help me renovate/fix my rentals. They pay like a crazy 8% check cashing fee anyways so they may welcome it.
If they are going to check cashing places, then they are probably requiring you to make the checks out to them as an individual instead of a company since a company check isn't supposed to be "cashed" for cash, which means they probably aren't reporting it and would welcome the cash for less of a paper trail.

I used them recently to pay an electrician who wanted to only be paid in cash and not check. The coins actually served the purpose. He needed a part from home depot and asked me if I could advance the funds which I did with the coins so those went into home depots till to be circulated. I paid him in the coins after he was finished and he said his helper wasn't going to be too happy because he was going to have to give him his cut paying coins, but those coins served their purpose of being circulated
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I went to my local branch to deposit some extra coins I had yesterday, not only were they happy to take them, they even offered me a lollypop. actually the lollypop was for my 3 year old with me, but he was happy the rest of the afternoon.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by mshah
Is any one still waiting on their 1/21. 1/22, 1/23 orders? All my orders starting 1/21 are still "on hold" ...got pre-auth on all orders but nothing is moving to "in process" as of now...
My order from 1/21 was moved to "in process" on Monday...still hasn't shipped though.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Be honest..
There is no reason to tell then what you are doing. When it dawns on them that they are losing out money and time wise so you can make a few miles, someone will put a stop to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.