Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by aviators99
You don't see much mention of unsuccessful ones, because there aren't many. I think there's only 1.
Could anyone please PM me the 1? I have to decide whether to take on a $10K 90-day spend with a CC. Thanks much in advance!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by regalhome
I actually just got in the mail today a letter saying that I have to send back my coins or pay up $500.00, since they only partially charged my GC @ time of shipping, when they went to charge it again, they were not taking it anymore, so now I have to pay the $500.00 and liquidate the GC. Was a real pain until I figured oout what happened.
As a CPA, I think it's VERY SCARY that the US mint has these poor of internal controls in place.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:23 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
As a CPA, I think it's VERY SCARY that the US mint has these poor of internal controls in place.
Almost as scary as the cash and credit management practices exhibited by some posters.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Could anyone please PM me the 1? I have to decide whether to take on a $10K 90-day spend with a CC. Thanks much in advance!
Please read the coin FAQ at the top of this forum. It is kept the most current.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:51 pm

From FAQ:
Both US Bank’s Flexperks card and Comerican Bank (Elan Credit) have been reported as not earning points for Mint purchases.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:54 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I actually just got in the mail today a letter saying that I have to send back my coins or pay up $500.00, since they only partially charged my GC @ time of shipping, when they went to charge it again, they were not taking it anymore, so now I have to pay the $500.00 and liquidate the GC. Was a real pain until I figured oout what happened.
What a mess! Would they pay for the shipping, since they screwed up? When they didn't charge me for a 5-figure shipment about 18 months ago, I got a nasty letter (about 3 months late) that said they wound send it to a collections agency if I didn't pay ASAP. I called and read them the same card that I put in with the order that they "forgot" to charge.

Originally Posted by Happy
That is why one should keep a spreadsheet with details.
I keep one and confirm that they ship me what they said they did and I check my card statement each month to ensure it's charged correctly. However, it's not my job to ensure they charge me for everything they ship me. If they can't figure out how most companies work (charge a card and THEN ship), I'm not doing work for them. When they bill me, I'll gladly pay.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: CO, DL, SW, SPG, CapitalOne Venture
Originally Posted by xp0
One of my 1k orders were split one time, and I got charged 500$ 2 months later... I had to go back through my CC statements to find out if that was 500$ EXTRA or 500$ missed and catching up
Thanks for sharing. If their going to catch it, I might as well contact them tomorrow and let them know.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:50 pm

You can also pull forward spending using the Amex giftcards from BC. They don't work at the mint, but you will get 1.6% CB, and can drain them slowly with your normal spending, provided you can float a few grand. Between that and the mint it should the the job done.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by QL_714
From FAQ:
Both US Bank’s Flexperks card and Comerican Bank (Elan Credit) have been reported as not earning points for Mint purchases.
Amex GCs should probably be added to that list...
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:59 am

[QUOTE=IAHtraveler;15728484]What a mess! Would they pay for the shipping, since they screwed up? When they didn't charge me for a 5-figure shipment about 18 months ago, I got a nasty letter (about 3 months late) that said they wound send it to a collections agency if I didn't pay ASAP. I called and read them the same card that I put in with the order that they "forgot" to charge.

They offered to pay for shipping, and sent a self addressed label to use. Obviously the coins are gone.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: AA, BA, WN CP, CO, AK, LH, DL, UA, VS, SPG, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton, Carlson, Fairmont Lifetime Plat
Placed an order this morning for GW coins -- shows as backordered until 2/9/11. Might this affect my 10-day ordering limit? Should I cancel the order and try a different President?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:41 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by tima1212
Placed an order this morning for GW coins -- shows as backordered until 2/9/11. Might this affect my 10-day ordering limit? Should I cancel the order and try a different President?
If you see a reduction in your credit card authorization "balance", don't manually cancel. The authorization of the credit card triggers the beginning of the 10 day period. You can just wait 10 days and order another set of coins (even if the GWs haven't shipped yet), or you can call the mint and see if theu will manually substitute another President. My experience is that if you manually cancel, the phone agents can't help much.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Happy
That is why one should keep a spreadsheet with details.
Too true. If you used Amex GCs back in the glory days, keep them. I received a letter on Saturday saying that I owed $1K. Checked my order history and found that according to the Mint they shipped the same order # twice. Well, I received it once and paid for it. GC history shows single charge for $1K to OFC dollar coin. I'd have difficulty proving that if I hadn't kept the card and noted what I used it for.

Looks like I've got it worked out now, though.

Andyandy
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by andyandy
Too true. If you used Amex GCs back in the glory days, keep them. I received a letter on Saturday saying that I owed $1K. Checked my order history and found that according to the Mint they shipped the same order # twice. Well, I received it once and paid for it. GC history shows single charge for $1K to OFC dollar coin. I'd have difficulty proving that if I hadn't kept the card and noted what I used it for.

Andyandy
Could`nt agree with you more keep the GC.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by andyandy

Andyandy
Could`nt agree with you more keep the GC.
Or as Happy and other members have noted you can just create a spreadsheet - I don't keep my giftcards but I do note the GC # on it in case I ever have to reference back to it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.