Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: - DL DM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
now now... with regards to "not even be on the radar compared to some of you!" dont judge people... and they wont judge you.

Anyway... I have paid my prop taxes in coins. $1,575. No problem whatsoever at my town hall. It's a great way to unload them. I will do it again.

I own two properties in fact--one in another state. I had actually sent a friend a shipment of 3 coins and he used it plus a check for the rest to pay my prop taxes there. ~$800. (He had owed me ~$50 so it worked out)

hope you do not miss the next one.

Dont worry - not judging (those familiar with my (few) posts will know that I am one of those FTers who always "plays nice" ) ..... just trying to guage myself against the others.

I hoe the guy who did the many 000s has a reinforced floor at home and a cup of coffee (or back brace) for the ups carrier
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
I just read Ingy's post regarding Bank of America
burning some guy for depositing coins.
His bank called the mint.
The mint closed his account.

I hope Chase doesn't do anything like this, and it remains an isolated incident.
They do NOT have to take your coins.

BE NICE.

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/
My issue with this story was that B of A CONTACTED the mint. To me that is a violation of the account holders privacy. If they want to close the account fine. If they thought there was illegal acdtivity and reported it and found just cause to believe there was illegal activity and reported it fine. I don't understand how the bank got away with this!

I wish more sties would have posted this story exposing bank of america by name. While there are no B of A's around here, if there were, I wouldn't want to use them after reading this story. I don't want to worry about the bank not keeping my account information private.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
Yes, be nice - but let's not forget to avoid GREED! Read the blog post. This dude racked up nearly 750k miles using the mint. Excessive? Maybe just a little, ehh?
That was over 18 months. That is not even 10k a week!!!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by QL_714
That was over 18 months. That is not even 10k a week!!!
Oh, yes - silly me
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
My issue with this story was that B of A CONTACTED the mint. To me that is a violation of the account holders privacy. If they want to close the account fine. If they thought there was illegal acdtivity and reported it and found just cause to believe there was illegal activity and reported it fine. I don't understand how the bank got away with this!

I wish more sties would have posted this story exposing bank of america by name. While there are no B of A's around here, if there were, I wouldn't want to use them after reading this story. I don't want to worry about the bank not keeping my account information private.
I'm getting some serious deja vu, I believe at some point in the past 2 months or so we had a report of this exact scenario playing out with some other poor FT'er although it might've been with Chase if I remember correctly.

I make a point of avoiding BofA and Chase even though I have accounts with both - it's just not worth the risk
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:47 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
I just read Ingy's post regarding Bank of America
burning some guy for depositing coins.
His bank called the mint.
The mint closed his account.

I hope Chase doesn't do anything like this, and it remains an isolated incident.
They do NOT have to take your coins.

BE NICE.

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/
@GF: having once worked for BofA, I can say with authority, they can be VERY not nice, and frequently ARE not nice.

Totally off topic, but given your handle and geographic location, by chance are you acquainted with the King of Nobes?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by HoKo
I'm getting some serious deja vu, I believe at some point in the past 2 months or so we had a report of this exact scenario playing out with some other poor FT'er although it might've been with Chase if I remember correctly.

I make a point of avoiding BofA and Chase even though I have accounts with both - it's just not worth the risk
Someone did report the same thing with a major bank a couple months ago. I figured this story was about that person, but must be another poster. It concerns me when a bank is that open about revealing your account information.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TATL lawyer
I intend to use the Mint, but only in legitimate way. Probably $4000 this year and for example out of $1000, spend a chunk, pay bills, deposit a $300 hundred each in 2 banks, give a few rolls to the nephews.

Does anyone think that is unreasonable? Form what I see in the thread it will not even be on the radar compared to some of you!

BUT I am curious about property taxes due in June (just missed the last one ).

This appears to me to be within the "rules" ... it is circulating and paying a bill. But has anyone actually been to their county auditor / treasurer office (not the bank) with $2 or 3000 in $1 coins??? Actual experiences only please
I didn't take that much in, but I paid a tax bill for over $800 with coins this morning. Taxes aren't due until 1/31 but I had the coins that I just received this morning (I was suprirsed the mint shipped on a holiday) and walked them over since I am near the government center. I didn't want to show up on the due date with long line and they weren't that busy.

I would recomend going at least 10 days before the due date so they aren't swamped with people. I could tell the clerk wasn't happy. She asked a supervisor if it was ok. What the superivsor asked me to do was unwrap a roll and she counted to verify there were 25 and she asked me unroll the other ones and stack them up which only took a few minutes. She verified there were 32 stacks and I wrote a check for the small difference (I wanted the check for backup in case I lost the receipt and was audited and marked on the memo line I paid $800 in cash as well). Seeing all the wrapped rolls were the same size I don't know why she made me unroll everyone after verifying $25 in the first one. Hopefully they will give some of them out as change to cash paying customers to circulate them.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Should have used coins!

US student pays fees in 14,000 single dollar bills

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12216545
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Should have used coins!

US student pays fees in 14,000 single dollar bills

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12216545
The question is... did he call the local news station before or after he brought the dollar bills to the office?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
Here's a YouTube video of the kid that paid his $14,000 tuition with $1 bills:

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/16/332...-colorado.html

30 lbs as $1 bills. 250 lbs as dollar coins (8.1g x 14,000 before paper wrappings).

I took mine to CoinStar and just turned them into Amazon GC. I got tired to trying to spend $1 coins all day long. Then I thought about any rewards I would have gotten and it became a loss because I only got 1% back on my CC (2% if you have better cards), mental space thinking about the coins, and labor of actually moving around the coins. I could have just bought Amazon GC with my credit card and gotten 3% back on my Amazon Chase CC instead.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by Happy
And she is so confident that she is making a Statement of Belief - Is this a legal term? or a term used in religion? From my limited understanding on religion, the term Statement of Belief is generally used to express a religious faith.
Since I am a member of Our Lady of the US Mint, I have a statement of belief: I place my faith in the US Dollar Coin program and vow to abide by her generosity.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by TATL lawyer
BUT I am curious about property taxes due in June (just missed the last one ).

This appears to me to be within the "rules" ... it is circulating and paying a bill. But has anyone actually been to their county auditor / treasurer office (not the bank) with $2 or 3000 in $1 coins??? Actual experiences only please
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/C...111094149.html
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
^^^^

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
Yes, be nice - but let's not forget to avoid GREED! Read the blog post. This dude racked up nearly 750k miles using the mint. Excessive? Maybe just a little, ehh?
Although 'perhaps' correct about the greedy comment, this in no way excuses BofA. What law requires the bank to contact the mint and share personal details and transactions of their clients? I don't recall the mint being a law enforcement agency, nor a regulator of deposit accounts. What BofA has done would have been no different than sharing these exact details of this guys account and transactions with... me, you, or the Wall St. Journal.

BofA
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indian Dollar coin limit

I remember seeing a post recently that the order limit was $12,500 for the indian dollar coins. Does this apply to ALL mint orders or do you have to have an exception to go over $1K granted by the mint? I am not asking for a higher limit, but am wondering if this means I can order 4 boxes of the indian dolalrs instead of being limited to 2 boxes like the presidents or if I could order 8 boxes every 10 days? I don't want to order $12.5K in coins, although the miles would be nice, because I don't want our security guard who signs for UPS and delivers the packages to be curious (he did comment today on the box being heavy when he brought it in my office LOL) and my bank has been great about accepting $1k in deposits, but I don't think they would appreaciate having $12K deposited (and not to mention the cash reporting requirements).

I am surprised the US mint isn't required to report coin purchases of over $10K speaking of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.