Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
Actually NM-B has two conductors and a ground. So that's 3000' or 60# using the 50'/# figure above. At $4.35/# that's $261. Guess that's a little anal, but it's a pretty good "under the radar" deal.
Thanks for the correction. I'm always on the lookout for items that can be resold for close to retail easily and profitably if you can get a 20-30% discount from retail. If you can think of any others that fit into the Home Depot or Cabelas/Bass Pro category drop me a PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
The CoinStar holiday bonus was a pretty sweet deal. I just wasn't sure I could get more than one $10 GC.

Looking forward to next December.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by dweick
Thanks for the correction. I'm always on the lookout for items that can be resold for close to retail easily and profitably if you can get a 20-30% discount from retail. If you can think of any others that fit into the Home Depot or Cabelas/Bass Pro category drop me a PM.
Can you use them to buy actual lowes or cabellas gift cards? If so buy the gift cards and sell them on EBay. A lot of people pay almost the face value on EBay for gift cards.

Lowes also sells things like cleaning products you could use them on.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:23 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by drumdrum
The authorized user scam is dead now.
Oh. You're back.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:45 am

Off topic, but I also save nickels. These are 75% Cu and 25% Ni and worth $.068. People ask me how I will melt these down. Why would I do that? How many savers of pre-65 silver coins melted these down? Nickels, silver coins and romex have intrinsic value as is.....w/o melting.
off topic? this may be the most on-topic post in half a year in this coin thread!
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CO, AA
So, I have read a lot of this thread, and tried searching, but it's rather overwhelming...but I think I read that if you ordered and recieved your order within that 10 day window, you can go ahead and place another order? Is that a correct statement?

Ordered on the 10th, recieved today...would like to order more. Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:02 pm

Paying Arizona property taxes at B of A

There's a provision shown on property tax bills in Maricopa county, AZ, that payments can be made at any B of A branch in Arizona. What is your experience using dollar coins to pay property taxes at any B of A in Arizona?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by crm1712
So, I have read a lot of this thread, and tried searching, but it's rather overwhelming...but I think I read that if you ordered and recieved your order within that 10 day window, you can go ahead and place another order? Is that a correct statement?

No, 10 days between orders assuming you are ordering 1000 at a time
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by simonsim
There's a provision shown on property tax bills in Maricopa county, AZ, that payments can be made at any B of A branch in Arizona. What is your experience using dollar coins to pay property taxes at any B of A in Arizona?
GREAT idea. Most of the banks here accept tax payments as well. I could just go to a bank I don't deal with and make some tax payments. I have a couple rentals so I could make a tax payment for each property wiht the coins at a different bank instead of dealing with the dragons at the treasurers office.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA EXP, Starwood Gold
I ordered on the 10th and just got my coins....but I still don't see any pending charges on my account!!! Why?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just checked on my most recent order and it says it shipped today. I am surprised the mint is shipping today being a federal holiday.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Shadownite
I ordered on the 10th and just got my coins....but I still don't see any pending charges on my account!!! Why?
Sometimes they ship faster than they bill. It should show up eventually.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by crm1712

I believe it is reddawngrl who reported being able to reorder once an order ships when it ships before the 10 day mark. Search for her recent posts in this thread.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Off topic, but I also save nickels. These are 75% Cu and 25% Ni and worth $.068. People ask me how I will melt these down. Why would I do that? How many savers of pre-65 silver coins melted these down? Nickels, silver coins and romex have intrinsic value as is.....w/o melting.
A -trick- question! "Savers" by definition wouldn't melt these.

Recyclers have melted these down for years. Coin silver is 90% silver and more economical to use than ore, which even in high yields is maybe 1% and ionized. I understand industrial uses for silver are increasing and more is needed than refined each year so expect the supply of "junk" silver to decrease.

Some years back, the Mint melted down tons of silver dollars they had in bags in storage. One day they realized they could get more for these sold to collectors than just the melt value and then sold them off, first in the nice hard plastic holders, later in the cheap flexible ones. As long as coins have a higher value as a collectors item than their melt people will hang on to them. If the melt ever becomes more (unlikely but not impossible) I'd expect to see them disappearing.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: Lotz
I have a 1K spend to do on Citi, a $1.5K on Barclays, and a potential 10K on Chase. Of these I assume only the first would work, the 2nd would not, and the last could be peppered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.