Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
I have accounts with Chase, Harris and TCF and none of them have given me any trouble accepting the coins. Just open another account somewhere else. Everyone offers free checking and they're all looking for new business. I got $125 bonus for the last one I opened
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by JudyS
You could certainly sell it to your spouse via eBay and then your spouse could pocket the 30% MS-Live rebate. (I mentioned this idea a few posts back, with a link to more info.) You would have to pay a total of about 10% in eBay and Paypal fees, but obviously would come out ahead after the 30% rebate. Whether this would violate eBay/Paypal policies on money laundering, I don't know.

If you marked up the price of the coins enough to cover your eBay/Paypal fees and sold to a friend, you would both come out ahead, and I don't see how that would violate any Paypal rules.
this won't work. ebay tracks ip addresses. i'm speaking from experience with a cancelled auction
Old Dec 6, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: Ex-HHonors Diamond (now nothing), former AA EXP
It's gotta be a real bank...not a Credit Union

Originally Posted by stu52
Well, that would work, but the idea was to make a quick deposit once I got them so that I could pay the bill. I do have the money in my account to pay the bill, but it's just the principle of the thing. I wanted to make this quick, easy and painless....but, I'll just have to see how my next trip to a bank works out.
So, I went to a WaMu where my daughter has an account, bought a money order with the $500 in coins and then deposited the money order to my Credit Union account....finally done. Two extra trips!

I don't know how often I can/will do this.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 8:45 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by stu52
It's gotta be a real bank...not a Credit Union
No, I think it was just the credit union where you were trying to deposit the coins that caused you the problem. My main credit union is in Maryland. I do have an account with my wife at a credit union in Pennsylvania. I've deposited the dollar coins (in rolls) into my joint account CU in Pennsylvania, and in another Pennsylvania credit union that accepts deposits for my Maryland account. No problems in either place.

I'll be in Baltimore next week -- I'll actually deposit some in my main credit union!
Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:01 pm

Programs: Ex-HHonors Diamond (now nothing), former AA EXP
Originally Posted by DivMiler
No, I think it was just the credit union where you were trying to deposit the coins that caused you the problem.
You are probably correct. The one that I am using seems more like a very small branch and not a main office Credit Union.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:59 am

The Mint is really mixed up. I ordered a bunch recently(I spend mine as that is the spirit of why they are issuing them) I was rejected because they said I ordered the limit of $500 per President. I doubt I have used $3500. I get rejected. So I order in my fathers name same street and my wifes name some rejected. Next thing you know they are showing up in cases. I guess I have a huge supply now.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa
Ordered $750 November 21... finally shipped via USPS today December 3! Now 1-2 weeks in the mail to reach ANC!!!
Make that 2 weeks plus...

Got my coins today in ANC 12/16... mailed registered USPS... had to sign for them... (ie- go down to the post office & wait in line)
Old Dec 17, 2008, 7:50 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
This seems to be too good to be true

So, I think I am missing something. I went on the site and it looks like I can order 2 of each of the sets available. I did not go to the checkout but what is the max that can be ordered in one order? I would think if my cc limit covers it it could be ok to order 4K and and get 4K *wood points. I guess the only pain is going to the bank with them.

Cheers
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cruisr
So, I think I am missing something. I went on the site and it looks like I can order 2 of each of the sets available. I did not go to the checkout but what is the max that can be ordered in one order? I would think if my cc limit covers it it could be ok to order 4K and and get 4K *wood points. I guess the only pain is going to the bank with them.

Cheers
It really does work. ^^

I picked up $1500 from the post office yesterday. That was a very heavy box.

And I am spending some of them to circulate them, but lots go back to the bank, too.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheers
$500 per president, some presidents have 2 different years of issuance. My guess is you can only order $500 regardless.

At least 2 presidents editions - Monroe and JQA are out of stock for a long long time now.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum

Cheers

All bank tellers are not created equal, but mine at my local BofA, love to see me and my coins. about $5,000 so far between spouse and myself. I do all of the depositing. I was a little sheepish the first few times , then they told me , "we love to get the coins". Now I know that could change someday, if some bank supervisor asks " why do we have so many of these dollar coins?"

Although these deliveries now come in $500 at a time , I waite until I have $1,000 before I do a deposit.

The mint seems to be slowing down, at least in my case. It's now taking about two weeks . Origionally I saw a one week turn around as normal.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:12 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by Happy
$500 per president, some presidents have 2 different years of issuance. My guess is you can only order $500 regardless.
I've heard of the godless error coins, but you are sitting on a gold mine if you have dollar coins of the same president that have two different mint mark years! Since I assume that is not the case, what did you mean by your comment?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
I've heard of the godless error coins, but you are sitting on a gold mine if you have dollar coins of the same president that have two different mint mark years! Since I assume that is not the case, what did you mean by your comment?
No idea what you talk about.

The Mint has offered 2 different years of the same president, John Adams came to mind. You can FREELY order those when they are BOTH available, I know both years were available when I ordered $500 of one edition.

However I believe you can only get $500 of one president, per this program rule.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by Happy
No idea what you talk about.

The Mint has offered 2 different years of the same president, John Adams came to mind. You can FREELY order those when they are BOTH available, I know both years were available when I ordered $500 of one edition.
John Adams and John Quincy Adams are two different people and two different presidents.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
John Adams and John Quincy Adams are two different people and two different presidents.
I am talking about John Adams. I dont think I have ever seen John Quincy Adams available, it is always out of stock, same as Monroe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.