Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ejs621
My wife will help me with box cutter and Heavy duty plastic freezer bags. Each bag will hold $2k before they may tear. Wife and get some conversation during the process.

I actually get a kick out of walking into my bank with bags of those shiny golden coins.

Looks like we both have found our niches. Have you thought about an exemption?

Cheers!
yeah my wife is like... oh those again? you are on your own. Just get me seats to XYZ when you can lol

You are lucky!

anyway I found banging them against something will split the wrappings open and the coins can pour out with ease. I want bags with $ signs on them like in the olde days though. But I suppose I could have a knife and some plastic bags in the trunk. I'd love to get pulled over with all that back there. Maybe I should like put a little blood on one of the bags JUST to mess with the cops hahaha.

I wrote in asking for exemption. Aint happenin. Have to convince my wife to do it. But I have more CCs and also I use GCs too. Coins do roll in.

And like the Chase customer in the post above, I have a few bank branches I go to where they take them without issue and of course no fee, and one has even taken the boxes without even opening them up to check for the $250 in each, but I think I need to get good at the coin machine thing too. You know, for security reasons lol
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Chicagofire1997
I usually take them to a large CHASE facility and deposit them. Teller usually just counts the rolls and thats it. Im sure they see me come in and there like here we go again. No fee's or nothing are ever charged.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. I applaud you for "walking" (reading) before "running" (posting).
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chicagofire1997
I usually take them to a large CHASE facility and deposit them. Teller usually just counts the rolls and thats it. Im sure they see me come in and there like here we go again. No fee's or nothing are ever charged.
yes, welcome to FT by the way.
we need to check your ID, have you answer three annoying security questions which, while you set them up and knew the answers, you wont remember and we will stop you from that point out of policy, and we need to know personal details about you that will make you wonder what WE are gonna do with that information when we punch out!

You know, for security reasons.
MM
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
yeah my wife is like... oh those again? you are on your own. Just get me seats to XYZ when you can lol

You are lucky!

anyway I found banging them against something will split the wrappings open and the coins can pour out with ease. I want bags with $ signs on them like in the olde days though. But I suppose I could have a knife and some plastic bags in the trunk. I'd love to get pulled over with all that back there. Maybe I should like put a little blood on one of the bags JUST to mess with the cops hahaha.

I wrote in asking for exemption. Aint happenin. Have to convince my wife to do it. But I have more CCs and also I use GCs too. Coins do roll in.

And like the Chase customer in the post above, I have a few bank branches I go to where they take them without issue and of course no fee, and one has even taken the boxes without even opening them up to check for the $250 in each, but I think I need to get good at the coin machine thing too. You know, for security reasons lol
My wife has has no complaints. She was skeptical at first, but after all the travel we have redeemed, she is convinced and has her own accounts.

A business sounding domain with email may help with the exempt.

Cheers!
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have deposited up to $3500 in coins at my bank. It does not need bag changes. Count is always accurate. No teller intervention. No questions asked. I just have to unroll the coins before going to the bank. Box cutter and a bag takes less than 5 minutes to do $2000. You just have to find your niche.

Cheers!
The local TD Bank's machines only hold $100 - it is not the bag being full, it is the counter is being set to give "full" signal when $100 is reached.

I tried once to use their Penny Arcade and at the end, a very nice teller had to come out to change the bag every $100... despite the bag is hardly full but the machine would stop counting... Needless to say, this was my first and last time to use a coincounter. An FTer told me there is an internal button the teller can press, thus tricks the machine to think a bag is changed, and then resumes counting ... but this needs to have a teller who is co-operative and knowledgeable to do this, and he has to open the machine and stands there all the time while the coins are being fed...

Spreading out among many branches is the way for me. Some can take more some less, some even would hold a batch until next time before they ship it out. It all depends but over time one should get a good feel about it.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
The local TD Bank's machines only hold $100 - it is not the bag being full, it is the counter is being set to give "full" signal when $100 is reached.

I tried once to use their Penny Arcade and at the end, a very nice teller had to come out to change the bag every $100... despite the bag is hardly full but the machine would stop counting... Needless to say, this was my first and last time to use a coincounter. An FTer told me there is an internal button the teller can press, thus tricks the machine to think a bag is changed, and then resumes counting ... but this needs to have a teller who is co-operative and knowledgeable to do this, and he has to open the machine and stands there all the time while the coins are being fed...

Spreading out among many branches is the way for me. Some can take more some less, some even would hold a batch until next time before they ship it out. It all depends but over time one should get a good feel about it.
No such thing here! The bank offers free coin counting with every account and even gave me $50 to open the account. Machine spits out a receipt I take to the teller and deposit. Never a line for a teller. The whole process takes a few minutes, afterall who goes to the bank anymore?

Cheers!
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No such thing here! The bank offers free coin counting with every account and even gave me $50 to open the account. Machine spits out a receipt I take to the teller and deposit. Never a line for a teller. The whole process takes a few minutes, afterall who goes to the bank anymore?

Cheers!
Me. I go to the banks when a batch from the Mint arrives.

TD Bank is the ONLY bank around here that has coin counter. There are enough banks around here, Chase, BofA, Citi, Wachovia, SunTrust, BB&T, National, just off the top of my head, plus some local banks but no one has coin counter except TD. BofA has the most number of locations, probably one every 2 to 3 miles at any direction. If one wants to, one can visit the same branch only once every 3 weeks even with a run rate of 10K a week.

It is a bit funny on Friday when I dropped by a BofA to deposit $1500 - the maximum weight I can carry without cart, there was a gentleman lugged in a bagful of coins - his were many plastic bags of rolled quarters, dimes, pennies, and $1!!! He kept saying to the teller that this is 4 years worth of loose changes... The teller and him were busy counting the various bags and put them to trays...My teller said my $1 coins were nice and easy... She just wrote the value on the boxes and counted 6 boxes then processed it. We were done in less than 5 minutes while the next counter was still counting.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 1, 2011 at 10:18 pm
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt

Cheers!

Is this a larger (regional/national) bank? I have been looking everywhere for a bank like this, but the best I could find was TD and its $100 limit
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:57 am

Programs: CO, DL, SW, SPG, CapitalOne Venture
With so many shipments a week I knew it was going to be a matter of time before they cut me off. The ladies grew curious so I explained to them what I do and they were amazed.

I asked them what I can do to make their job easier. They said if I can put the coins into the Dunbar bags with $1k unrwapped in each, that would help out. It's a little bit of work but Its worth it!

I walk in 2-3 x a week w/ $6k and they just throw them in the vault. I'm lucky to have a bank like this because one time I tried a BofA branch and the lady was rude and annoyed.

Regarding exemptions, their not that hard to get. You just need a really good reason. Don't tell them you want to give out coins for Xmas so you need to be exempt LOL.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
Suspicion of changes at Citibank

Originally Posted by cagalindo
I still don't understand how people are depositing so many coins each month.. do they not get pissed at you?
I've been a small-time "client" of the Mint over the past 2 years (small compared to some of the posters here, that is). Usually, I've never had any problem at the two major Citibank branches I go to with depositing the $1 coins (usually in $500 or $750 increments).

However, during my most recent $500 deposit at one of the Citibank branches, the teller took a look at the rolls, and motioned to a back office bank employee to come over. She came over and asked the teller "I just need the account number". The teller gave her my account number, and the back office employee went off to print out something from her own computer. My teller then took the $500 without any other word/complaint.

I feigned disinterest, not wanting to attract undue attention, but I wouldn't be surprised if I now have some "marker" on my account. We'll see the next time I go in to deposit coins if there's any complaint/word from the teller.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FruJu
I've been a small-time "client" of the Mint over the past 2 years (small compared to some of the posters here, that is). Usually, I've never had any problem at the two major Citibank branches I go to with depositing the $1 coins (usually in $500 or $750 increments).

However, during my most recent $500 deposit at one of the Citibank branches, the teller took a look at the rolls, and motioned to a back office bank employee to come over. She came over and asked the teller "I just need the account number". The teller gave her my account number, and the back office employee went off to print out something from her own computer. My teller then took the $500 without any other word/complaint.

I feigned disinterest, not wanting to attract undue attention, but I wouldn't be surprised if I now have some "marker" on my account. We'll see the next time I go in to deposit coins if there's any complaint/word from the teller.
when my local bofa said they may charge me a fee to take coins now, they too took my acct number down and wrote it on the big plastic bags they had to put coins in before sticking them in the vault. This number, they said, was passed onto the truck who takes the coins so if there is to be a fee it would go to my acct and not the branch. There never was a fee but that may be what the citi you visit is preparing for you. Hope not!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: American 1 Million + Miles, Hilton HHonors Diamond, RCCL Diamond Plus
Smile

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
Is this a larger (regional/national) bank? I have been looking everywhere for a bank like this, but the best I could find was TD and its $100 limit
Wells Fargo lets you use their machine for free if you have an account. Put the coins in, take the receipt to the counter, dopesit the receipt amount. It's that simple.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Can you open them for me?

Sorry, but opening up this quantity of coins is not feasible for me.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I had that one bofa branch tell me they could not take coins anymore because the truck may need to charge a fee and pass it on to me, and then the manager asked why I was doing this anyway. they had never asked before. So I told them it was for miles and briefly explained the gig.

her reply:
well, you gotta pay somewhere. Since you are making all these free miles, you should pay a fee for it. Maybe it's about time you got a fee.
Why do you "gotta pay somewhere?" That's just plain insane. bofa already makes you "pay" with the lousy interest rates they give. Seems like they just want all your money for keeps.

Too bad we all can't boycott bofa and let them know it's because of this sucky attitude. @:-) Even if we did, they're so big they wouldn't even feel the difference. And as long as they're in that position, they're customer service skills will continue to be nonexistent.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:26 pm

My local chase teller, said as long as it`s wrapped and ready to ship out, keep brining them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.