Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by terockwo
From my personal experience & the general consensus of this thread, has shown that the #1 way to have an order "canceled" is to use the same credit card to try to order more than $500 of the same president, regardless of order combination, size of order, time in between orders, number of orders, multiple different physical Shipping Addresses, or the old 'Apt 1' added to the same physical address, yet it "appears" as a different shipping address to the computer, etc, etc, etc...

Notice I didn't say that duplicate orders (more than $500 of a Prez) couldn't be accomplished, it just seems to be a total crapshoot as to whether or not you can squeak duplicate orders by the US Mint, & the success rate seems to be pretty low.

For those of you that find yourselves in a predicament where you have a particular Credit Card (Delta Plat AMEX for me), where if you spend $XX,XXX ($25,000 in my case) in 2008, you get some substantial bonus, I have a question for you.... Has anyone, either inadvertently or on purpose, had experience with being able to order "duplicate" orders on a "replacement" Credit Card with a new & different CC#???

ie you said you lost (or you really did...) your credit card, called up the CC company & had them issue a new credit card with a new number & mailed it right out to you, has anyone then been able to order another "set" of Presidents, (currently $2,500) with relatively high success rate??

I fully realize this is a ridiculous amount of effort/hassle if purposely done just at the chance of $2,500 in spending, but for those of us "young professionals" (hell these days anyone...) who are strapped for cash, its not easy to float a few thousand dollars in gift cards that one would eventually use just to re-qualify for our particular status....

Anyways, any thoughts on this particular scenario, or recommendations on how to reach large spending limits aside from AMEX Travelers Checks (great while it lasted), Presidential Coins, Gift Cards, or trying to swindle money orders at grocery stores...? Any advice is very much appreciated, feel free to PM me with any suggestions, as some of these "tactics" are often better left off threads with upwards of 100,000 views.

Thanks!
I suppose a citi virtual CC would work. This feature lets you take your same CC acct and make new numbers for virtually any transaction anytime, thereby showing the person or store who uses it an entirely new number./
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:20 am
Suspended

Myself and others have tried the "use a different CC altogether" and 'apt1' and different 'email address' only to get the "cancelled " order email with an indication of 2 boxes for that Pres were already sold and mailed to that address
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
eGiftCert Finally Worked but only after a month of hassles

From my personal experience & the general consensus of this thread, has shown that the #1 way to have an order "canceled" is to use the same credit card to try to order more than $500 of the same president, regardless of order combination, size of order, time in between orders, number of orders, multiple different physical Shipping Addresses, or the old 'Apt 1' added to the same physical address, yet it "appears" as a different shipping address to the computer, etc, etc, etc...

For those of you that find yourselves in a predicament where you have a particular Credit Card (Delta Plat AMEX for me), where if you spend $XX,XXX ($25,000 in my case) in 2008, you get some substantial bonus, I have a question for you.... Has anyone, either inadvertently or on purpose, had experience with being able to order "duplicate" orders on a "replacement" Credit Card with a new & different CC#???

Anyways, any thoughts on this particular scenario, or recommendations on how to reach large spending limits aside from AMEX Travelers Checks (great while it lasted), Presidential Coins, Gift Cards, or trying to swindle money orders at grocery stores...? Any advice is very much appreciated, feel free to PM me with any suggestions, as some of these "tactics" are often better left off threads with upwards of 100,000 views.

Thanks!
Like stated my attempts at multiple orders all failed.

Since I too wanted to hit a spending bonus on my SPG AMEX, I decided something ($200 per box) was better than nothing.

I bought the max $200 eGiftCert using the same SPG AMEX card with which I placed my original and delivered orders.

The eGiftCert code arrived a few hours or maybe the next day after placing the order.

I then tried to buy 1 box ($250) using the eGiftCert and charging the remainder ($50) on a new and different CC.

First FYI, you have to enter the code and hit enter.

If that works, and I'd be surprised if it did, after that you are would be prompted to enter the CC info to pay the balance.

However, each and every time I entered the eGiftCert code an error message appeared that the code was not valid.

I called the Mint, got transferred around, was told it's a glitch and to try it later.

However every week the same situation.repeated itself

I called back and they took the order over the phone,

For some reason, that I never bothered to investigate that order was canceled.

Positive note was a new eGiftCert was issued without me having to report it. ^

After SEVERAL runaround calls and hassles I finally asked a relative with a different CC and address put the balance on their card and ship to their addy.

Even though on earlier calls I was told that only a Supervisor could take an eGiftCert over the phone, this time the front line person politely took the order.

Well, I'm happy to report that the box of coins was delivered today.

Bottom line is it can be done but given the max eGiftCert is only $200 and they can't be stacked, the hassles far outweigh the bennies.

YMMV
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz #1 Club Gold, National Exec., Delta Silver
Question

Did anyone get a chance to order and receive the James Monroe coins on their recent availability last week (now out of stock again)?

If so, are they shipping the circulated or uncirculated coins? I read somewhere in this thread that they are shipping uncirculatd coins to fill some orders.

Last edited by bowlernme; Nov 19, 2008 at 6:05 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
circulated or uncirculated ?

How do I tell the difference?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)

Notice I didn't say that duplicate orders (more than $500 of a Prez) couldn't be accomplished, it just seems to be a total crapshoot as to whether or not you can squeak duplicate orders by the US Mint, & the success rate seems to be pretty low.

ie you said you lost (or you really did...) your credit card, called up the CC company & had them issue a new credit card with a new number & mailed it right out to you, has anyone then been able to order another "set" of Presidents, (currently $2,500) with relatively high success rate??

I fully realize this is a ridiculous amount of effort/hassle if purposely done just at the chance of $2,500 in spending, but for those of us "young professionals" (hell these days anyone...) who are strapped for cash, its not easy to float a few thousand dollars in gift cards that one would eventually use just to re-qualify for our particular status....

Thanks!
I have done something like this. I have an SPG Amex and my husband has a secondary card on the same account with a different number. I used my Amex to order coins to one address and my husband's Amex to order coins to another address. So far one of the 4 recent orders I placed on my husband's card has shipped, the other three are still on hold. I actually requested another SPG Amex in another family member's name so as to do this again - so far it appears to work fine.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
In one week my Y01 John Quincy Adams order has moved from , Hold, to in Process, to Shipped.

I am now trying Y04 James Madison.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 2:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: All Airline & Hotel Programs (POINT JUNKIE!)
Partial received

Originally Posted by ReneeMoss
Placed orders in batches of 2 rolls each in my name w/my credit card on nov. 10 ----went to account history and see that orders are all on hold???
Placed orders in 1 batch (all Presidents - 2 rolls eqach) in husband's name w/his credit card ----on Nov. 13......all but 2 Presidents were 'line cancelled'??
What's this about ??- (haven't had the time to call but I will!!)
Orders are 'legitimate' ---only 2 rolls per President - and for 2 different people so why are they cancelled or still 'on hold' and not yet shipped???
Appreciate your thoughts.........
.FYI - called credit cards - both credit cards have the charges on - but 'not yet posted'
Today 2 boxes ea. per (2) only Presidents )Jefferson & Adams) from husband's order showed up on our doorstop.......all others from his (1 batch order) were 'line cancelled' (see above)

Other orders, in my name, placed in separate batches of 2 boxes each for each President now all say 'IN PROCESS' on the tracking website.

My orders were placed days before his order...strange that his order was shipped first??

(All orders were to be shipped to the same address)

Last edited by ReneeMoss; Nov 20, 2008 at 2:50 pm
Old Nov 21, 2008, 4:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just ordered my remainder (other then the 2 blocked right now )

Order Process Date: 11/21/08

Merchandise : 750.00
Freight . . . :
Total . . : 750.00

1. JAMES MADISON $250 BOX $1 COINS (Y04)
Qty 2 @ $250.00 - In stock.

2. ANDREW JACKSON $250 BOX $1 COINS (Y07)
Qty 1 @ $250.00 - In stock.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Order "suspended" because coins unavailable

Presidents Monroe and J.Q. Adams are no longer available. That was precisely the order that was "suspended." Mystery solved.

For my seven family members, including myself, with different Starwood account numbers (all authorized users on my account) and the same P.O. box shipping address, we are at Σ = $12˝ K.

Until near the end of summer, I wasn't at all planning on attaining Starwood Gold by spending $30 K in 2008, but now I'm within striking distance. I've even stayed at a Sheraton in HNL that I wouldn't have otherwise. My college reunion next year will be held at a Starwood property.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Until near the end of summer, I wasn't at all planning on attaining Starwood Gold by spending $30 K in 2008, but now I'm within striking distance. I've even stayed at a Sheraton in HNL that I wouldn't have otherwise. My college reunion next year will be held at a Starwood property.
The 3.5 k in coins (still spending at places that don't take AmEx) worked well on getting me Delta miles boosts. Something else I did was purchase gift cards on eBay with the Microsoft promotion (for Xmas shopping) so I get the spending in statements closing December 2008 (rather than in January 2009).
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:02 am
Original Member

Programs: All Airline & Hotel Programs (POINT JUNKIE!)
OK

Web site reads my order placed 11/13 for 2 boxes ea. JQAdams & James Monroe shipped today!

Orders placed on 11/10 - still show "in Process"
(4) indvidual orders for 2 boxes ea. (John Adams, Thos.Jefferson,James Madison,Andrew Jackson)
Anyone have any idea why orders placed Nov. 10 still show "In Process"?
Do you think they will be cancelled?
Should I try re-order in Husband's name??

Last edited by ReneeMoss; Nov 22, 2008 at 11:40 am
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz #1 Club Gold, National Exec., Delta Silver
Originally Posted by bowlernme
Did anyone get a chance to order and receive the James Monroe coins on their recent availability last week (now out of stock again)?

If so, are they shipping the circulated or uncirculated coins? I read somewhere in this thread that they are shipping uncirculatd coins to fill some orders.

Update: My order was processed & and is being shipped. (I guess I'll treat it like a box of chocolates! )
Old Nov 24, 2008, 4:52 pm

Programs: LTP, PP

Notice I didn't say that duplicate orders (more than $500 of a Prez) couldn't be accomplished, it just seems to be a total crapshoot as to whether or not you can squeak duplicate orders by the US Mint, & the success rate seems to be pretty low...
Well, I agree with you. I changed the billing address of a CC previously used (I read here previously that was the trick) and no dice. Too bad since this CC has 0% interest for a year and I was trying to max it out (another 3k).

So it sounds like its tied to the CC number? Many AMEX's, including the SPG, will give each authorized user a separate number, maybe that's the solution? (But I'm made at these sc*mbags right now...)
Old Nov 24, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
I have tried to place duplicate orders with no success. I have tried repeating:
+Same name, billing, shipping, and cc #
+Same name, billing, and cc#
+Same name and billing.

Maybe a different billing address or name is key. Those are the only factors I have not changed. But others have said billing address is not the key.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.