Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Nov 16, 08, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by thehawk75 View Post
... how much time would you have spent meticulously going through 3500 coins? This sounds like a full day project, likely resulting in a headache from squinting your eyes and looking at so many coins, to 'hopefully' earn $50?

I know, a lot of assumptions, here, but, my hunch is trying to find the sacred 'collector coins' in the batch is going to cost more time than it's worth.
C'mon now, finding the rare and valuable"Washington Plain Edge Dollar" doesn't seem that tough.
Old Nov 17, 08, 10:14 am
Original Member

Programs: All Airline & Hotel Programs (POINT JUNKIE!)
Don't understand??

Placed orders in batches of 2 rolls each in my name w/my credit card on nov. 10 ----went to account history and see that orders are all on hold???
Placed orders in 1 batch (all Presidents - 2 rolls eqach) in husband's name w/his credit card ----on Nov. 13......all but 2 Presidents were 'line cancelled'??
What's this about ??- (haven't had the time to call but I will!!)
Orders are 'legitimate' ---only 2 rolls per President - and for 2 different people so why are they cancelled or still 'on hold' and not yet shipped???
Appreciate your thoughts.........
.FYI - called credit cards - both credit cards have the charges on - but 'not yet posted'
Old Nov 17, 08, 10:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Wyndham Plat, Hyatt a lot of points.
Originally Posted by ReneeMoss View Post
Placed orders in batches of 2 rolls each in my name w/my credit card on nov. 10 ----went to account history and see that orders are all on hold???
Placed orders in 1 batch (all Presidents - 2 rolls eqach) in husband's name w/his credit card ----on Nov. 13......all but 2 Presidents were 'line cancelled'??
What's this about ??- (haven't had the time to call but I will!!)
Orders are 'legitimate' ---only 2 rolls per President - and for 2 different people so why are they cancelled or still 'on hold' and not yet shipped???
Appreciate your thoughts.........
.FYI - called credit cards - both credit cards have the charges on - but 'not yet posted'
Orders are limited to two boxes ($500) per President , per address
Old Nov 17, 08, 12:33 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Not good news:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=889500

Basically, Washington Times published an article including a description of the coin thing. Here's hoping nobody over at the Mint reads it.
Old Nov 17, 08, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ReneeMoss View Post
They are just authorizations - not until the Mint send a bill to match the authorization, it will never post, and the authorization will drop off after certain period when no bill to match it.

Unless the order status changes to In Process, dont think the order will materialize. Until the order status changes to ship, your card will not be sent the bill.
Old Nov 17, 08, 1:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Wyndham Plat, Hyatt a lot of points.
Originally Posted by Pizzaman View Post
Not good news:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=889500

Basically, Washington Times published an article including a description of the coin thing. Here's hoping nobody over at the Mint reads it.
What do you want to bet the author of the Washington Times article is a reader of this Forum.

Not me though. I know I'm new, but it's not me. I type too slowly to be a prosessional.

Hey you , be a man , step up and show yourself. yea , I got coins coming, and I'm proud of it.
Old Nov 17, 08, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pizzaman View Post
Here's hoping nobody over at the Mint reads it.
The issue isn't so much if the Mint reads it or not; the issue is if lots of other people read it and start overwhelming the Mint with orders that get returned by banks en masse.
Old Nov 17, 08, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
I wonder if "Bob from Long Island" is fearing retribution from AA, AMEX, the Mint, or from flyertalkers? Reveal yourself, "Bob!"

Seriously though, I would imagine that this Washington Times column won't circulate very far. And, it seems like the Mint is already aware of abuses, since they are cancelling so many dupe orders.
Old Nov 17, 08, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Here's the article:

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008...th-rare-deals/
Old Nov 17, 08, 3:34 pm
In memoriam

To report on my just canceled (by the Mint) order for 500 George Washington dollars.

I had gotten 3K of dollar coins earlier, including $500 Georgies

After going through a lot of this thread I decided I might as well order some dups, keeping the orders down to $500.

By happenstance (I'm not that smart or devious ), the billing address on my Amex was changed between the first set of orders (which were delivered weeks ago) and last week. Thought that might help. But, it didn't.

First, when I checked status last week, came up "suspended." I didn't worry too much, but, today I got an email, order canceled.

Conclusion: it may be getting harder to get dups. Of course, new dollar coins will be coming out. @:-)

Only problem, I'd like to get up to $15K on my Starwood card to get the 15K Starpoints bonus--only have a few months to go and not a lot of spending in the near future.
Old Nov 17, 08, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was PMed by the author of the article and asked a number of questions

I usually do answer these people, but did this time and we exchanged a few PMs. In my last 1 I asked that he not refer to my Handle on FT, he PMed me back he wasnt gonna be referring in any manner to Ft whatsoever. I PMed him back,'Now you know why I dont wish to deal with reporters, you are willing to abuse FT by PMing its members in order to get the info you need for your article and thusly get paid for doing so, yet refuse to acknowledge your sources of Ft whatsoever, I therefore demand if you wont be mentioning FT then I withdraw all consent for You to use anything I wrote to you".

BTW I gave him my middle name only and a city other then the 1 I live in.

maybe if everyone else will also not answer these guys it will Help our cause, but as long as people want to see their names in print or their pic we will continue to harm ourselves
Old Nov 17, 08, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz View Post
I was PMed by the author of the article and asked a number of questions

I usually do answer these people, but did this time and we exchanged a few PMs. In my last 1 I asked that he not refer to my Handle on FT, he PMed me back he wasnt gonna be referring in any manner to Ft whatsoever. I PMed him back,'Now you know why I dont wish to deal with reporters, you are willing to abuse FT by PMing its members in order to get the info you need for your article and thusly get paid for doing so, yet refuse to acknowledge your sources of Ft whatsoever, I therefore demand if you wont be mentioning FT then I withdraw all consent for You to use anything I wrote to you".

Having read/seen so many instances when our golden goose got killed after a news article, I would have ignored any PMs from a reporter. And, if you really wanted to talk to a reporter, don't share any special details that the reporter didn't know already.

I think, in this case, the reporter was also trying to protect his own source of information from his competitors. That's why he won't mention FT at all.

One article from Washington Times may not seem that scary, but these days, one article leads to ten to hundreds then national TV exposure. Someone will scream foul play that the government is funding our miles, even though there are many gainers in this process with the mint itself included. I see the end of this goose coming soon.

Last edited by ChaseTheMiles; Nov 17, 08 at 5:21 pm
Old Nov 17, 08, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
The deal will be dead within days, so hurry up. It would have been hours if it were the Washington Post, not the Times which is hardly read outside the Pentagon.

It was good while it lasted - let the countdown to the next great deal begin
Old Nov 17, 08, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by WonderDude View Post
C'mon now, finding the rare and valuable"Washington Plain Edge Dollar" doesn't seem that tough.
What is a 'Washington Plain Edge dollar' worth?

How often do you find one in $500 ?
Old Nov 17, 08, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by ynewman View Post
The deal will be dead within days, so hurry up. It would have been hours if it were the Washington Post, not the Times which is hardly read outside the Pentagon.
It's barely read within the Pentagon.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: