Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Watchful
To slightly redirect the discussion I work for a church, and some church folks would love to see the elimination of the dollar bill, thinking that it might increase those who make "token contributions" when the offering plate passes. Anyway...here is a little "church offering humor"...

A 100 dollar bill, a 20 dollar bill, and a one dollar bill meet up at the shredder at the end of their lives.

The 100 says, "I've seen the whole world during my lifetime. Why, I've been on cruises in Caribbean, safaris in Africa, and vacations in Europe."

The 20 says, "Well, I've not done quite as well, but I have been to Atlantic City, Disneyland, and Starbucks." They both turn to the one dollar bill and ask, "How about you?"

The one, not wanting to be outdone, says, "I have been all across the USA...I've been from church to church to church..."

Then the 100 asked, "What's a church?"
hahaha
good one!
Now I will go and toss a few coins in the offerings when it gets passed to me lol
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of you know how I recently said my local bofa branch said they could not longer take my coins and there may be a fee. While they did not mind taking the coins, the truck would try to charge them this fee. So i do not use that branch for coins anymore but I do have accounts at the bank.

Anyway...

Today I opened a new checking account at a local bank in my town. I crossed street with my box of coins as the initial deposit. A car stopped to let me go by...

Later in my local bofa branch doing other biz..the manager tells me she was that car and she could only guess what was in box...
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone noticing orders like going thru reallly rreally fast>?

I am making one on say nov 9 and it ships on nov 12. hmmm.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Similar experience. Six days from order to coins in hand.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum/Million Mile Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Stopped into the branch of my bank (a LARGE national) one town away from home this afternoon with $2K. The reaction of the Teller? "Oh, wow! Now I don't have to order these! People around here are always asking for them. Which presidents are they?"

I was back there an hour later with another 2K. Same happy reaction.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Yup, I had a cpl with 2 day turnaround from order to ship. Awesome!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

I ordered $500 on 11/8, which shipped yesterday (11/11), and was deposited into my bank on 11/12
Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:00 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by popot53
I just found one too! Mine is the same, both faces are smooth. There is a ridge, but there is no lettering on the edge (just scratches and dings). I don't think this one counts in the rare "lettered edge blank", it's basically just a blank that never made it through any minting process steps.
The "no lettering on the edge" may not be as rare as everyone thinks. The mint has issued an alert that some outfits are grinding the lettering off the edges to produce these errors and then selling them as genuine to unsuspecting collectors:

http://www.usmint.gov/consumer/?acti...ives#PresFraud

Blank planchets are collectable errors. It's always safest to have it certified. PCGS and NGC are the most respected sources. :-: Some of the other outfits are somewhat questionable in their grading.

Nice find.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:06 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by Watchful
To slightly redirect the discussion I work for a church, and some church folks would love to see the elimination of the dollar bill, thinking that it might increase those who make "token contributions" when the offering plate passes. Anyway...here is a little "church offering humor"...

A 100 dollar bill, a 20 dollar bill, and a one dollar bill meet up at the shredder at the end of their lives.

The 100 says, "I've seen the whole world during my lifetime. Why, I've been on cruises in Caribbean, safaris in Africa, and vacations in Europe."

The 20 says, "Well, I've not done quite as well, but I have been to Atlantic City, Disneyland, and Starbucks." They both turn to the one dollar bill and ask, "How about you?"

The one, not wanting to be outdone, says, "I have been all across the USA...I've been from church to church to church..."

Then the 100 asked, "What's a church?"
Let's face it, if someone were going to make a donation of $20 (likely $10 or even $5) or more, they'd likely use a personal check so they would have a record for a deduction on their income tax return. Still amusing, but not really a statement on giving.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

today I got a message from the US Mint saying,

We have determined that you need more coins for AA miles. Here enclosed is a 25,000 AA mile certificate to deposit into your or anyone elses' account. Please do not bother us or order from us anymore.

LOL
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:06 am
Pup

today I got a message from the US Mint saying,

We have determined that you need more coins for AA miles. Here enclosed is a 25,000 AA mile certificate to deposit into your or anyone elses' account. Please do not bother us or order from us anymore.

LOL
What a coincidence. I just got an email from my bank:

Due to the expense of storing and shipping coin deposits, we are offering a new program for select customers. For every $1,000 of coins that you do not bring in for deposit, we will issue a certificate for 1,000 miles or points to the airline or hotel account of your choice.

Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Pup
What a coincidence. I just got an email from my bank:

Due to the expense of storing and shipping coin deposits, we are offering a new program for select customers. For every $1,000 of coins that you do not bring in for deposit, we will issue a certificate for 1,000 miles or points to the airline or hotel account of your choice.

Probably targeted or my bank loves me so much they want me to keep bringing the coins in. Do you have the phone number to call so I can opt in?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by buschoi
Probably targeted or my bank loves me so much they want me to keep bringing the coins in. Do you have the phone number to call so I can opt in?
I hear it's targeted
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
This is the thread that never ends.

It goes on and on my friends
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Plat
Talking

Originally Posted by joesmoe
This is the thread that never ends.

It goes on and on my friends
Some people started replying in it not knowing what it was,

And they'll continue replying in it forever just because....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.