Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Nov 11, 08, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by studentff View Post
All placed with one CC (I was trying to reach a spending threshold to get EQM). All placed at least 1-2 days apart. My first (and only) successful order was the first time I had tried this. From reading other posts, I might have been successful if I had started earlier and/or made smaller orders. But I needed to reach the spending threshold by mid-Dec, so I couldn't really afford making dozens of tiny orders spaced out by a week or so.
It could also be that they saw the same CC being used, and teh orders were for full boat loads.

I have a couple of new cards acommin and will use VanBuren for 1 of them and hopefully somehow find a way to buy 1 of the coins I already got using the other CC.

Its alot easier using a CC and getting $500 of the min spending cleared then trying to use the same CC over and over in order to get some Min High Purchase level for the yr as the OP was hoping to do
Old Nov 11, 08, 11:51 am

As for orders cancelling, it really seems hit or miss. I have 2 different emails I've been using. One has all orders under my husband's name and the other mine. As soon as an order has been received I've placed another. I will say if using the same credit card on both orders it's been a guaranteed cancel of one. I've placed an order for $2500 worth each and every time. Lines cancel and entire orders cancel, but here I am today waiting for an order that "shipped" Fri. for the full $2500. Usually I get may $500 or $1000 from each attempt. I'm up to at least $10000 by this point. Same address used every time.
As for cashing them out.. I've taken many rolls into the various Chase branches and just paid on my cc. I've frequently gone through the business drive through lanes with $100-$200 and just asked to exchange for paper currency. Only once was I ever given a hard time, at First National Bank for $150 worth, they wanted to charge me a 1% fee. I just laughed and went through the drive thru of the bank across the street.
It's been a great way of getting those initial charges, and negotiated fee waiver min. charge agreements dealt with.
A BIG thanks to the OP. Evened out many an acct. via cc miles with this type game!:-:^
I've also done more than my fare share of placing these coins in circulation via any charge of less than $15 a pop, drive thrus, car wash, etc., but the best has been the self serve check out lanes if no one is behind me. I just keep plugging and then charge the balance after I've once again emptied my coin purse!
Old Nov 11, 08, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Any idea when the mint will start selling Ameros?
Old Nov 11, 08, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, HH Dia, yadda, yadda....
Extra change?

Coinstar is running a promo that nets you a bonus $10 gift card for changing $40 in coins into a gift card. The transaction is free and the $10 is by mail-in rebate form.

I don't know but I'm thinking some of you may have some extra 'change' they could put through these machines.

==============================
http://www.coinstar.com/US/html/landingpromo2008

Get your $10 holiday bonus from Coinstar!
Coinstar coin counting is FREE when you turn your coins into a gift card or eCert. Now through December 7th when you try our Free Coin Counting option and cash in $40 or more, we’ll send you a holiday bonus.

=======================
The $10 holiday bonus offer ends 12/07/08. Offer valid at participating Coinstar Centers in the U.S. only and excludes Puerto Rico. Consumer will receive a $10 gift card or eCertificate for the same brand that was originally cashed in for. Please expect 6-8 weeks for delivery. Offer good on qualified transactions made between November 7, 2008 and December 7, 2008. Transactions occurring before or after these dates are not eligible for this offer. Offer is only valid on coin transactions. Limit one per name or household. Void where prohibited. Not valid with any other offer. No cash substitutions. Failure to follow the above rules may result in disqualification. See offer details and full rules at www.coinstar.com.

* Amazon.com is not a sponsor of this promotion. Amazon, Amazon.com, and the Amazon.com logo are registered trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Amazon.com Gift Cards ("GCs") may be used only for purchases of eligible goods on Amazon.com. GCs cannot be redeemed for purchases of gift certificates or cards; from some third party sellers; or at Amazon.com Auctions. GCs cannot be reloaded, resold, transferred for value, redeemed for cash or applied to any account. Amazon.com is not responsible if a GC is lost, stolen, destroyed or used without permission. See www.amazon.com/gc-legal for complete terms, restrictions and exceptions. GCs are issued and (c) 2008 by ACI Gift Cards, Inc., a Washington corporation.

LOWES® and the GABLE MANSARD DESIGN are registered trademarks and service marks of LF, LLC. Lowes® is not affiliated with Coinstar.

All other trademarks and registration marks are the property of their respective owners.
Old Nov 11, 08, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Oh Boy! One of the gift cards is Circuit City! Those will be collectors items real soon.
Old Nov 11, 08, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by studentff View Post
This is really unfortunate for me because I was counting on ordering $10K of these coins to meet my $35K CC spending threshold to get 5K EQMs. Now I'm going to have to do an absurd 10K-mile MR in December instead of a "sane" 5K-mile MR.
Sorry for the noob question, but which credit card gives EQMs? Which airline?
Old Nov 11, 08, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
I know the Chase UAL Platinum Signature Visa gives you 5k EQMs after you have spent $35,000.
Old Nov 12, 08, 12:18 pm

Programs: Nothing much anymore.
Monroe and Quincy Adams are now available.
Old Nov 12, 08, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Anyone got any 'duplicate' orders recently?

Looks like the mint has cracked down on a lot of the loopholes for getting 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, etc of each President...

My orders for the past 2 weeks have been getting canceled.

AMEX TC's are gone, and now it looks like this is as well (for getting over $3500 spending that is).
Old Nov 12, 08, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by photo_guy View Post
Coinstar is running a promo that nets you a bonus $10 gift card for changing $40 in coins into a gift card. The transaction is free and the $10 is by mail-in rebate form.
Now, has anyone verified that Coinstar accepts dollar coins?

Wikipedia says so; it must be true: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coinstar
Old Nov 12, 08, 3:15 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by benny248 View Post
Thanks for this, I only get to check there once every ten days or so. Seeing this post I got my next order in.
Old Nov 12, 08, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
Now, has anyone verified that Coinstar accepts dollar coins?

Wikipedia says so; it must be true: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coinstar
Tried the dollar coins at Coinstar - let's just say I came up a dollar coins short (and that was before the machine stopped accepting them . . . )
Old Nov 12, 08, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by benny248 View Post
Thanks for the heads up -- I finally bagged the last of the dead presidents! It will be a fleeting success, since the Martin Van Burens are being released in 12 hours. I never thought I'd see the day, but all previously-released coins are currently available.

Doesn't look like MVB will be immediately available via the circulating direct-ship program, however.

Last edited by WonderDude; Nov 12, 08 at 10:04 pm Reason: release time update & info
Old Nov 12, 08, 11:20 pm

Programs: HH (Dia), SPG (Gold), IHG (Plat)
I tried buying a gift certificate and purchasing coins with it, and it didn't work. It told me "gift certificate number not valid" or something like that, but when I called they told me that it was a valid number (I didn't tell them I was trying to get coins with it). I asked for a refund since it wasn't working, and they graciously gave me one (took about a week to process) but I wouldn't try it again. I'm pretty sure it didn't work specifically because I was trying to purchase coins with it.
Old Nov 13, 08, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by kirax2 View Post
I tried buying a gift certificate and purchasing coins with it, and it didn't work. It told me "gift certificate number not valid" or something like that, but when I called they told me that it was a valid number (I didn't tell them I was trying to get coins with it). I asked for a refund since it wasn't working, and they graciously gave me one (took about a week to process) but I wouldn't try it again. I'm pretty sure it didn't work specifically because I was trying to purchase coins with it.
If you purchased a Gift Certificate from the Mint , what would it be used for, if not buying coins?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: