Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
Martin Van Buren is scheduled to be released November 13, 2008 -- less than a week from today.
I didn't realize he was incarcerated.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, LH, BMI, BA, HHilton
They have them out now!

Just saw a commercial for them.

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
just think, some day in the far future, they will make an Obama coin
Old Nov 9, 2008, 5:39 am

Yes, and soon

Originally Posted by sbrennan007
They have them out now!

I too will believe TV advertising.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:57 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
They have them out now!

That's assuming Carter, G.H.W.Bush, Clinton, G.W.Bush and Obama have all been dead at least two years by the time they've gotten to the 44th coin. They're stopping with the last dead president in succession - i.e. if Ford's coin were to be released today, his would be last. They wouldn't skip over Carter to release a coin for Reagan.

EDIT: Apparently, the skipping part isn't true. The congressional act does cover skipping over Carter if still living or deceased < 2 years and moving directly to issuing a Reagan coin.

Last edited by ArizonaGuy; Nov 10, 2008 at 4:03 am
Old Nov 10, 2008, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
They have them out now!

These Obama coins are special edition GOLD coins, NOT the presidential dollar coins discussed on this thread.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by wtshef
I have not had a chance to jump on this yet, so YMMV, but what about using the PayPal browser plugin to generate new card numbers?
Well I just tried this.

It really doesn't accomplish much for you.

All that paypal plug in does is generate a 'virtual master card number'. However, paypal will ONLY allow you to FUND this virtual mastercard number with a bank account -- NOT a credit card! Thus negating the ability to earn any points.

Would have been a great idea if you could fund it with a reward credit card.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:55 pm

Can you buy the e-gift certificates on the site and then use them to buy the coins, under a different name?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Well I just tried this.

It really doesn't accomplish much for you.

All that paypal plug in does is generate a 'virtual master card number'. However, paypal will ONLY allow you to FUND this virtual mastercard number with a bank account -- NOT a credit card! Thus negating the ability to earn any points.

Would have been a great idea if you could fund it with a reward credit card.
citi lets you generate virtual cards. AA miles galore!
Used to do it with gift card purcjases
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
citi lets you generate virtual cards. AA miles galore!
Used to do it with gift card purcjases
Yeah, I know about Citi, but I'd like to be able to do this AMEX.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by arcticgrin
Can you buy the e-gift certificates on the site and then use them to buy the coins, under a different name?
An interesting thought.

However, I wouldn't want this promotion to end while I'm still stuck with a US mint e-gift certificate...
Old Nov 11, 2008, 5:10 am

An interesting thought.

However, I wouldn't want this promotion to end while I'm still stuck with a US mint e-gift certificate...
How's the return policy?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Yeah, I know about Citi, but I'd like to be able to do this AMEX.
amex used to have a reloadable traveler's check card but I think they discontinued them. You could check though.

And why not one of the AMEX gift cards? Although they have fees, it depends on what amounts you load.

An interesting thought.

Cant you buy a gift card that is reloadable and try it with that?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:08 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
They're really cracking down on duplicate orders, and I've been completely unable to get more than $2500 ($250 x 2 boxes x 5 Presidents) ordered on my CC.

Here's what I've done, all orders were for the full $2500. I have a US Mint account (I actually collect the annual sets) but was not logged in for any of these orders, all of which were placed after 10/30.

Order 1: Shipped to my home and billed to me at home, successful.
Order 2: Shipped to my wife at my home with a unit-number added and billed to me at home, cancelled.
Order 3: Shipped to me c/o a coworker at his home, billed to me at my work address, cancelled.
Order 4: Order placed from another computer (in case mint was using browser cookies), shipped to me using my nickname c/o a coworker at his home, billed to me at my work address, cancelled.

This is really unfortunate for me because I was counting on ordering $10K of these coins to meet my $35K CC spending threshold to get 5K EQMs. Now I'm going to have to do an absurd 10K-mile MR in December instead of a "sane" 5K-mile MR.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by studentff

Order 1: Shipped to my home and billed to me at home, successful.
Order 2: Shipped to my wife at my home with a unit-number added and billed to me at home, cancelled.
Order 3: Shipped to me c/o a coworker at his home, billed to me at my work address, cancelled.
Order 4: Order placed from another computer (in case mint was using browser cookies), shipped to me using my nickname c/o a coworker at his home, billed to me at my work address, cancelled.

studentff, did you use the same or different credit cards? Did you place these orders around the same time? Were you successful before with the same method and amount? I'm just wondering which factor may have raised a flag on you.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:35 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
studentff, did you use the same or different credit cards? Did you place these orders around the same time? Were you successful before with the same method and amount? I'm just wondering which factor may have raised a flag on you.
All placed with one CC (I was trying to reach a spending threshold to get EQM). All placed at least 1-2 days apart. My first (and only) successful order was the first time I had tried this. From reading other posts, I might have been successful if I had started earlier and/or made smaller orders. But I needed to reach the spending threshold by mid-Dec, so I couldn't really afford making dozens of tiny orders spaced out by a week or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.