Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:17 pm

Another data point:
Ordered 2 JA and 2 TJ on 10/11 at noon PT.
e-mail from mint 10/15 that they shipped. UPS indicated they shipped on 10/16.
first UPS delivery attempt 10/18.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by beachmiles
I met Mr Pickles this weekend. I learned from him.
What exactly did you learn?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by aviators99

Cash advances must be agreed to by the cardmember in advance, by doing it at a bank, or by using your cash advance PIN.
this is not true
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
despite what others may think of Mr.Pickles, i found his talk interesting. was it new info? probably not for most here. for me, it was a look at the methods he used to move large quantity of coins in an efficient way while that was possible. was it overly creative? to most here, probably not. as with most things YMMV. it did open up some "new to me" possibilities that i may try next year if the cards will still allow coin purchases. fwiw, i am done for this year and am planning my strategy for the next.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:01 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
despite what others may think of Mr.Pickles, i found his talk interesting. was it new info? probably not for most here. for me, it was a look at the methods he used to move large quantity of coins in an efficient way while that was possible. was it overly creative? to most here, probably not. as with most things YMMV. it did open up some "new to me" possibilities that i may try next year if the cards will still allow coin purchases. fwiw, i am done for this year and am planning my strategy for the next.
I also enjoyed Mr. Pickles talk at the Chicago DO. Very informative!

I only done coins on a small scale (only a few $1000 over the last couple years to help one of my relatives satisfy their spend requirement for signup bonuses on their new CC's). I may do some more coins but my schedule is quite full. Only if I need to satisfy CC spend to get fat bonuses & if the cards don't charge cash advance fees/no points.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
...I want to give a heads up that I've been contacted informing me that Citibank Amex AA card posts as a cash advance or cash equivalent. Since I do not have a PM list of everyone who is using this method I thought it might be important to post so people can save their time and money. I believe that this card may now count any purchase from a financial institution (american express gift card website and USmint purchases) as cash advance or cash equivalent and will not gain miles.
...Several members have stated that their Citi AA Amex card classifies purchases from a financial institution as cash advances. I am just suggesting those with that type of card or a citi brand card check their statements in case they label the mint in this category.
FWIW, statement closed 10/8:

Originally Posted by citi cc statement
10/07/2010 OFC DOLLAR COIN 202-354-7528 DC $1,000.00
Transaction Type: 2
Post Date: 10/07/2010
Reference Number: XXXXXXXX
Merchant Category: Services - MISC GOVERNMENT SERVICES
Charged To: Standard Purch
Those 1000 miles (plus 75,000 bonus miles) have posted to my AAdvantage account already.

So, still a purchase as of 10/8 anyway.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

The downside is that when someone was ordering that many coins there was a lot of waste with packaging. It's a shame that now that they've cut down on the amount of packing people are only getting $1k per box.
It has always amused me the concern people have with the waste of some bits of plastic and cardboard, while minimizing the resources expended to run the ordering systems, the gasoline and the vehicle depreciation and the human labor to transport the coins to the buyer, the same for the trip to the bank, and the same for the armored truck to take the coins back from the bank to wherever they go.

It's got to be 1000 to 1.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by gomike
this is not true
Forgot to add the cash advance "checks" that have you sign on the back that it's a cash advance. What other method do you know of? And explain how you reconcile it with your cardmember agreement.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
It has always amused me the concern people have with the waste of some bits of plastic and cardboard, while minimizing the resources expended to run the ordering systems, the gasoline and the vehicle depreciation and the human labor to transport the coins to the buyer, the same for the trip to the bank, and the same for the armored truck to take the coins back from the bank to wherever they go.

It's got to be 1000 to 1.
Not to pick nits, but much of that happens regardless of any coin order we make. Neither USPS nor the armored truck company operate just because we orders some coins.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:37 pm

Forgot to add the cash advance "checks" that have you sign on the back that it's a cash advance. What other method do you know of? And explain how you reconcile it with your cardmember agreement.
This was on a Citi Amex AA card. I only did a small amount as a test. They charged it as a CA.

Standard Adv
DISCOVER TEEN CARD AZ 50.00
Fees
ADVANCES*TRANSACTION FEE 5.00
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
This was on a Citi Amex AA card. I only did a small amount as a test. They charged it as a CA.

Standard Adv
DISCOVER TEEN CARD AZ 50.00
Fees
ADVANCES*TRANSACTION FEE 5.00
Did you have your cash advance limit set to $0 at the time?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
is he ....
He gave a fairly professional presentation with suit and tie, and personally I would not make fun of anyone here publicly out of respect. I don't care what other people say in the PM though.

Btw, I totally forgot about DD. Didn't look for him anyway.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
They cannot treat it as a cash advance
But they did, and my friend was charged $300+ cash advance fee for a mere $1K giftcard. He has been fighting with Citi with no success. I feel bad because this was his first try after I persuaded him to go this route.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA
Gift cards & coins are not exactly the same thing...So why don't we wait and find out about the coins if it's treated as CA.

As far as I'm concerned coins are still treated as a regular purchase.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Did you have your cash advance limit set to $0 at the time?
No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.