Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Nov 2, 08, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by TTT103 View Post
I concur; however, being called a "maid" rather than a "housekeeper" is probably insulting enough without also being paid with coins.
Then you should tell Molly Maid and a number of other house-cleaning services to change their highly-offensive names. I guess their employees must have really low self-esteem!

That said, I do think it's a bit rude to give large numbers of coins as payment to non-corporate entities (like nannies, babysitters, the kid who mows the lawn, etc.). Those kinds of employees generally can't, without significant expenditure, accept credit cards (PayPal's fees are a significant hit for people who generally operate only on cash) and they probably aren't as enthralled with dollar coins as some people are; burdening them with trying to spend or convert those dollar coins is somewhat rude, IMHO. Entities who transact in large amounts of cash (like stores, banks, etc.) are fair game, but not IMHO for personal transactions like the above.

Last edited by cepheid; Nov 2, 08 at 8:51 pm
Old Nov 2, 08, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
somehow all of this makes me wonder if you can still ask banks to order $500 dollar and $1,000 bills from the fed reserve or mint for you to pick up and actually pay for with a CC? I almost did it once years ago (I really do not know if you can use a CC to pay for it) but never did.

If we are not afraid to have thousands in coins around the house, then why not check out one of these bills if they are still available--you know, just to maybe see it
Old Nov 2, 08, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cepheid View Post
That said, I do think it's a bit rude to give large numbers of coins as payment to non-corporate entities (like nannies, babysitters, the kid who mows the lawn, etc.). Those kinds of employees generally can't, without significant expenditure, accept credit cards (PayPal's fees are a significant hit for people who generally operate only on cash) and they probably aren't as enthralled with dollar coins as some people are; burdening them with trying to spend or convert those dollar coins is somewhat rude, IMHO. Entities who transact in large amounts of cash (like stores, banks, etc.) are fair game, but not IMHO for personal transactions like the above.
agreed in part, although the bank of America that I had been using in my town to cash in these in bulk had said that while they don't like taking $500 from me, they would take $10 here or $5 there or something. This same branch would take lots of $2,000 but would rather not see me in there unless it's for very small or very big lots of coins.

that being said, kids who get them for mowing the lawn, etc wont have a problem using them and may even think they are kinda cool! I bring up the local pizza place in my town again where the old lady behind the counter said she'd take $5 for the sandwich I bought but didn't want to accept an unopened roll of $25 coins and give me a $20 bill in change because, as she said, "I have no place to put it in the register and the bank gives me trouble when depositing too many of these at one time!"
Old Nov 2, 08, 10:16 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
somehow all of this makes me wonder if you can still ask banks to order $500 dollar and $1,000 bills from the fed reserve or mint for you to pick up and actually pay for with a CC? I almost did it once years ago (I really do not know if you can use a CC to pay for it) but never did.

If we are not afraid to have thousands in coins around the house, then why not check out one of these bills if they are still available--you know, just to maybe see it
I don't think any bills over $100 has been available for years. They don't want to encourage easy movement of lots of cash for drug trafficing and such... You can still pick them up on ebay though, for much more than face value.
Old Nov 2, 08, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JoeJetplane View Post
If I can ask a quick question, does UPS just drop the package off on your doorstop, or do you have to sign for it?
Mine have all been just dropped off.

Generally, if I'm home, the doorbell will ring and before I can make it to the door, the UPS guy has already started driving off in his truck.

Fortunately, our house is in a cul-de-sac and the front door is not visible from the road, but it's rather disconcerting to come home and find $1,000 or more has been sitting outside your front door for hours unattended.
Old Nov 2, 08, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels View Post
I don't think any bills over $100 has been available for years. They don't want to encourage easy movement of lots of cash for drug trafficing and such... You can still pick them up on ebay though, for much more than face value.
what the drugs? : shhhhhhhhhhhh!

Well, thought so about the $$. I think the last time I SAW one was in the 80s when drugs were ok in college
Old Nov 2, 08, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FruJu View Post
Mine have all been just dropped off.

Generally, if I'm home, the doorbell will ring and before I can make it to the door, the UPS guy has already started driving off in his truck.

Fortunately, our house is in a cul-de-sac and the front door is not visible from the road, but it's rather disconcerting to come home and find $1,000 or more has been sitting outside your front door for hours unattended.
it would be even worse to not find it
Old Nov 3, 08, 5:37 am

I have not had a chance to jump on this yet so YMMV, but, you people might want to try using the PayPal credit card browser add-on, with a milage card linked to your paypal account, additionally, AVS according to my merchant account only reads the numbers of the address and the zip code, so the street name and such for the billing address could be anything.

Additionally you could always change your billing address to another address if you are linked up with online billing for a few purchases and then change it back to your normal address in case a new card or anything is going to be sent.
Old Nov 3, 08, 5:38 am

I have not had a chance to jump on this yet, so YMMV, but what about using the PayPal browser plugin to generate new card numbers?
Old Nov 3, 08, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UPS guy actually showed up at door and wanted a signature!

We live in a Condo. UPS guy made his round of delivery in the afternoon (the tracker said the package left Orlando almost midnight on Friday). He wanted a signature. Though I am not sure if we are not home, would he simply drop the package by the door?

An hour later I took the 2 boxes to nearby BofA to deposit them. The guy was hesitant, took a tray and went to ask a more senior person who talked to him and then turned around to my direction. I smiled towards her and she smiled back. The guy came back to take the remaining coins to another workstation and processed the deposit. I dont know why he could not do it at the teller window. Anyway he came back, handed me the deposit slip with inprint and said it was all taken care of.

It took exactly a week to get the coin - ordered $500 last Monday and received them this Monday.
Old Nov 3, 08, 10:42 pm

Can't wait to see the look on the tellers face when I walk in the bank with my load of coins.
Old Nov 3, 08, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
We live in a Condo. UPS guy made his round of delivery in the afternoon (the tracker said the package left Orlando almost midnight on Friday). He wanted a signature. Though I am not sure if we are not home, would he simply drop the package by the door?

An hour later I took the 2 boxes to nearby BofA to deposit them. The guy was hesitant, took a tray and went to ask a more senior person who talked to him and then turned around to my direction. I smiled towards her and she smiled back. The guy came back to take the remaining coins to another workstation and processed the deposit. I dont know why he could not do it at the teller window. Anyway he came back, handed me the deposit slip with inprint and said it was all taken care of.

It took exactly a week to get the coin - ordered $500 last Monday and received them this Monday.

thanks for the shipping update
Old Nov 4, 08, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been visiting two Drs for physical therapy for this fall (getting ready for ski season) and both do not take CCs. one needs full payment and will take coins and the other is on my insurance but only took them once and would rather cash or check. Although the Starbucks down the road with all the cute girls working at it loves me when I come in with $25 worth to change it while I use a CC to buy a coffee. I use the change to pay the bloke $15 co-pay but pocket the $10. It's a good way to get 'cash back' for miles
Old Nov 4, 08, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Happy View Post

B of A probably had them processed thru the Business Teller. A lot of tellers at my Chase Bank have maximum limits to the funds available in their drawer, (Probably to make accounting easier) But the Business Teller usually has much more available so that Business Clients can easily get the change they need for daily operations)
Old Nov 4, 08, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May not be due to that

Originally Posted by mapsmith View Post
B of A probably had them processed thru the Business Teller. A lot of tellers at my Chase Bank have maximum limits to the funds available in their drawer, (Probably to make accounting easier) But the Business Teller usually has much more available so that Business Clients can easily get the change they need for daily operations)
Because I deposited $800 cash in $20's just a fortnight ago when we returned from a trip with unused cash, the window teller simply counted all the 20's and processed the deposit right at her location.

But then, it could be the particular window I was directed to yesterday, was a window that was manned by junior person. Who knows? The deposit was pending yesterday and now is posted, as it shuold be, after the overnight accounting.

There are at least 4 or 5 BofA branches within a 2 miles radius from home, but this one is just 1/2 mile away and the most convenient.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: