Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Smidget
I placed an order on 10/5/10 @ 6:45 pm. Has anyone's order on or past that point in processing? Mine is still on hold... seems a bit long. Thanks!
my Oct. 2 order was shipped Oct 8
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by vetforus
Is it better to take the coins out of the wrapper or leave them in? Which is easier for the bank?
Just give them the boxes!
Only thing I open is the door to the bank and the AA statement.

Last edited by mrpickles; Oct 11, 2010 at 9:11 pm
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by mrpickles
Just give them the boxes!
Only thing I open is the door and the AA statement.
I have been loading my shorts up with 1K at a time... quite the sight to see walking into the bank

But I think this may be reducing their life, so I might use the boxes again... just don't want to draw too many questions
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Is it better to take the coins out of the wrapper or leave them in? Which is easier for the bank?
Whatever keeps you on the best terms with your bank/CU
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:26 pm

Banks Won't Take Coins

Is anyone else having trouble finding a bank to take coins today?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by juggler451
Is anyone else having trouble finding a bank to take coins today?
Columbus Day is a bank holiday.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Platinum
I put three rolls of coins in the coin counting machine at TD bank today, I have done it several times in the past, with no problems. Anyway, the machine gets full in the middle of counting and they have to change out the bag. When the receipt came out it was 40 coins short - $35 vs. $75. They took my name and # and told me that they would let me know in a week whether they have an overage.

Needless to say, I won't be using their machines anymore.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
I just deposited about 1900 coins in Chase and my slip says " Further review may result in delayed availability of this deposit". Anyone else got this message? Should I be worried?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by kyunbit
I just deposited about 1900 coins in Chase and my slip says " Further review may result in delayed availability of this deposit". Anyone else got this message? Should I be worried?
No worries. They just need to verify the coins are all there, that's all
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by benmaller
I love the idea o paying property taxes in coins to make a point, but does anyone actually think these end up anywhere besides the bank?
No, but it is putting them in "circulation", which is in keeping with the spirit of the program.

I even use them to pay bills at banks, I just don't deposit them directly into my bank account. I've also used them to pay a couple $500+ medical bills from Luddites who won't take plastic, plus some smaller individual transactions, e.g. purchasing books from individuals. Probably 95% or more of what I've placed in "circulation" has ended at banks almost immediately.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
No, but it is putting them in "circulation", which is in keeping with the spirit of the program.

I even use them to pay bills at banks, I just don't deposit them directly into my bank account. I've also used them to pay a couple $500+ medical bills from Luddites who won't take plastic, plus some smaller individual transactions, e.g. purchasing books from individuals. Probably 95% or more of what I've placed in "circulation" has ended at banks almost immediately.
This past weekend I had the kids (2.5 & 4 yrs old) at a fairground and there was a bouncy house. It was $2 per child so I grabbed 4 coins to pay. The lady standing there with the money letting kids in and out wanted to get more from me. So my kids got on once more and then I ended up trading her almost all of my remaining coins from the roll and another $25 all for green paper cash.

A little girl standing next to us even wanted to trade for one too. She loved how gold it was. I used others in stores and booths that don't take plastic in that town.

MM
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
I find it easiest to keep them wrapped up, and when I spend them, I peel down the wrapper like a roll of Lifesavers or Certs, just enough to remove the number of coins I need. I don't like the jingling sound loose coins make in my pockets, and i think individual coins are more prone to falling out of pockets when sitting.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by pawtim
I find it easiest to keep them wrapped up, and when I spend them, I peel down the wrapper like a roll of Lifesavers or Certs, just enough to remove the number of coins I need. I don't like the jingling sound loose coins make in my pockets, and i think individual coins are more prone to falling out of pockets when sitting.
It is annoying when a partially used roll 'bursts' open

Really sounds funny when running...
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Talking ok this is totally sick

I have a ski condo and we go up a lot but some friends or friends of friends sometimes wish to rent it.

I have a family who rented last year and wants enough nights to equal $1000+ (for FEB)

He joked to me that it's too bad I cant take CCs so he can get miles and was prepared to send his check. Then I told him he could send coins and he's already been doing them but just hadn't thought of it or hadn't imagined I would like to accept them as payment.

I said, sure! I mean I already bring them to the bank a few times a month anyway.

hahahaha I ACCEPT the coins now!

Who knew!

MM
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
They can charge you whatever they want.
Banks (especially larger banks) commonly assess fees for deposited coin and currency. This is often done through the "account analysis" process wherein a value is assigned to the balances and is used to offset some of the various fees. Trouble is, what with super low interest rates, the value of the balances isn't all that great these days. The fee may be in the range of 1% of the amount deposited, but can be significantly lower for high volume depositors such as retailers. In any event, such fees are unusual for consumers, but I wouldn't blame a bank for assessing such a fee to a consumer, especially if the coin deposits are large in comparison to the average balance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.