Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Oct 31, 08, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by TTT103 View Post
I placed my first order two weeks ago, received, and deposited coins (no problem). I then placed an additional order using a different card. I used the same billing address, but a slightly different shipping address and name than I used the first time. The order was cancelled so I called and sure enough they cited the terms and conditions regarding the limit of two rolls per president per person. How on earth are people placing additional orders?
I was having success keeping the orders down to $500 in size, and then applying the rest of what you said (i.e different cards, slightly different shipping addresses, shipping to my daughter, my cat, etc...) However, this week they seem to have caught on. Now my $500 orders which were consistently working have now been canceled. Oh well, it was great while it lasted, I've managed to get more than $10K churned through this... will keep trying though...
Old Oct 31, 08, 5:35 pm

Read up on this deal and understand you can get up to $500 of $1 coins per president. As long as my credit limit is large enough, can I order all available 5coins at once up to $500 each for a total of $2500 or should I split up the orders. I see people saying keep orders under $500 but that is only if you want to TRY to order more than the 2 rolls allowed right?
Old Oct 31, 08, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Ctrix65513 View Post
Read up on this deal and understand you can get up to $500 of $1 coins per president. As long as my credit limit is large enough, can I order all available 5coins at once up to $500 each for a total of $2500 or should I split up the orders. I see people saying keep orders under $500 but that is only if you want to TRY to order more than the 2 rolls allowed right?
Yes, correct.

Well, at least in my experience anyway.

My first order was $500 for JQA back in June. I only ordered $500 because JQA was all that there was available.

My next order was $2000 as they made 4 more presidents available, and a couple days later an additional thousand when the last 2 became available.

All those orders went through fine -- of course they did take bloody ages.

After that, it has been hit and miss as I've already gotten all the presidents I was allowed. I did try using wife's name as authorized user on my card, and was able to get $2000 in two separate orders -- where I ordered $3500. Go figure.

After that I've been keeping them down to $500. Not only do they seem to get from 'ON HOLD' to 'IN PROCESS' much much FASTER (like 1 day instead of 1 week), I was not having ANY cancelations at all... that was until this week. My hunch is they finally caught on. But obviously I was able to just keep queuing in another $500 order once I saw the status of the previous order to to 'shipped'. I had gotten without problem $5000 using this small order ($500) method -- again until this week. Thus... YMMV
Old Nov 1, 08, 1:32 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
The tellers at my Credit Union are getting so they recognize me, and they are enthusiastically thankful for my deposits, as they get lots of requests from customers for the presidental coins.

So they are going into circulation, just in a little more round-about fashion than the Mint intended.

Steve
Old Nov 1, 08, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
edited

Last edited by Marathon Man; Nov 1, 08 at 4:59 am
Old Nov 1, 08, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by steve32 View Post
The tellers at my Credit Union are getting so they recognize me, and they are enthusiastically thankful for my deposits, as they get lots of requests from customers for the presidental coins.

So they are going into circulation, just in a little more round-about fashion than the Mint intended.

Steve
and that's good! you get miles for your hard work of lugging coins that you had to wonder would come to your doorstep! keep it up.
Old Nov 1, 08, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by sdflyer04 View Post
My orders with different cards on the same account were cancelled. Can you describe how you do this? Thanks.
Very minor differences in address spelling might help- for example, abreviate St. in one, spell out Street in another, or add a suite number for a single family address.
Old Nov 1, 08, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by thehawk75 View Post
I was having success keeping the orders down to $500 in size, and then applying the rest of what you said (i.e different cards, slightly different shipping addresses, shipping to my daughter, my cat, etc...) However, this week they seem to have caught on. Now my $500 orders which were consistently working have now been canceled. Oh well, it was great while it lasted, I've managed to get more than $10K churned through this... will keep trying though...
Oh, well. It is what it is. I'm wondering if they began tracking via billing address rather than shipping address. When I phoned, the rep. asked me my billing address and order number. She never asked a thing about shipping address.
Old Nov 2, 08, 2:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
I just placed one for the following:

Product Name Quantity Price (each) Total Availability Gift Box Product Ship Date
Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - George Washington (Y06)
2 $250.00 $500.00 In Stock N
Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - John Adams (Y02)
Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - Thomas Jefferson (Y03)
Subtotal (w/o Shipping & Handling) $1,500.00
Shipping & Handling (includes any Gift Box charges) $0.00

Total Order $1,500.00

Destination... ANC
Most current order taking forever

Ordered on the 15th of October...

Shipped a while back now... via USPS... hope I get it before my statement is due in November
Old Nov 2, 08, 6:23 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I did it and everyone thinks I'm absolutely insane. My wife, my parents... everyone!

I decided that if you don't take credit cards, then you're being paid in $1 coins. So, my maid gets a few rolls, my nanny gets a few rolls, my power company gets a few rolls, etc. What's really funny is the reaction I'm getting from everyone... they all think it's rude to be handing over $100 in coins... but from my perspective, it's legal tender and I'm leaving them in the rolls.

Anyway, I did take $1500 to my local BofA and had the tellers complain. Essentially, they b%%ched and moaned about not having room behind the counter, that they didn't need them, why would I have them, etc. I took a flippant "well, here's money and you're a bank... take it" approach which seemed pretty effective. I have an account with them and they did not charge me any fees.
Old Nov 2, 08, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
they all think it's rude to be handing over $100 in coins...
It is (at least for the maid and the nanny--the power company and bank should be able to deal with it).
Old Nov 2, 08, 10:16 am

Delivery Question....

If I can ask a quick question, does UPS just drop the package off on your doorstop, or do you have to sign for it? Does the free shipping have any insurance? Thats a lot of cash to risk in an attempt to run some miles. But thanks for the tip. Count me in to help Uncle Sam get there coins into circulation :-)
Old Nov 2, 08, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Not sure about the insurance but I've had 6 shipments from the mint and all have been just dropped at the door by UPS. No signature required...evven when I've been home and opened the door to accept the delivery. When I looked up the tracking info the notes would say "left at door" or "received by adult male".
Old Nov 2, 08, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I find it interesting that folks are having them delivered with no signature required. I had mine shipped to my PO Box and they came via Registered Mail and required a signature.

I've been using my coins quite a bit around town for small purchases (<$6) and they seem to be accepted quite readily. Of course, other than the MTA here I've never seen anyone else using them, so who knows.
Old Nov 2, 08, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
It is (at least for the maid and the nanny--the power company and bank should be able to deal with it).
I concur; however, being called a "maid" rather than a "housekeeper" is probably insulting enough without also being paid with coins.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: