Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Oct 6, 10, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
Not for direct ship coins
Thanks for the correction. I'll probably need $250 to tide me over until next year's CC billing cycle starts.
Old Oct 6, 10, 10:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
deleted

Last edited by cordelli; Dec 23, 10 at 1:59 pm
Old Oct 6, 10, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by gejone View Post
Read the sticky on the front of this forum and then go back about 40 pages and read through them to see some of the recent updates. At one time people would order thousand's of coins, take them to the bank and pay the credit card off. Then repeated the process. The Mint now has a cap in place of $1,000 maximum every 10 days. When you go to usmint.gov, look under the $1 Coin Direct Ship program rules and you will note the intent of the program is to circulate the coins and not immediately deposit the coins. Some do and some don't. The program has lost some of it's luster and may not be worth the hassle. You'll see some posters waiting for every shipment, wondering what's happening to their coins; if you do place an order, relax, they'll show up. Buy coins, spend them and enjoy the process.
I did read the sticky, I just wanted to confirm that I had understood the process.

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
Or thousands of dollars as some say they are doing

Asssuming your bank takes them, several have reported they have been told their bank will not take them, many banks have even less of a need for them than the public does (and noting you agreed not to deposit them when you bought them but clearly many do just that)

Yup

Yup

It comes down to your "hassle factor" of how much you are willing to put up with for free miles, and how easy it is for you to get rid of them at places you currently can't use a miles earning card. Of course, another factor is if your card issuer treats it as a purchase or as a cash advance, in which case you won't earn anything.
Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 6, 10, 11:31 am

Programs: Several dozen
Alabama - All Y'all are Clean Compared to Us!

Glad to help - our people here don't use coins or ff miles - our district attorney, bailiffs, and judges fly on stolen Southwest Airlines vouchers - no joke - and the local party condones it by putting them up for reelection.

Originally Posted by andyandy View Post
Ouch, Dave. Non-corrupt Alabamian here. (all ten of us meet for coffee every tuesday)

But what an innovative idea! No serial numbers on coins to be traced. I'll have to suggest that to the lobbyists.

Andyandy
Old Oct 6, 10, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
Glad to help - our people here don't use coins or ff miles - our district attorney, bailiffs, and judges fly on stolen Southwest Airlines vouchers - no joke - and the local party condones it by putting them up for reelection.
well, that belongs on my thread in FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ade-miles.html
Old Oct 6, 10, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Ordered Sept 27 4 bxs of GW
Still shows my order is in progress... and looks like it took some avail credit on my CC too...
And mint shows it will be shipped today (no info no UPS, but have a tracking # ^)
Old Oct 6, 10, 12:24 pm

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
If one actually does a lot of buss. Wit a customer who they refuse coins from in normal amounts that cUstomer might just pull their money right out of that bank 3000 dollars in coins a month or lose 100000 for some people
Old Oct 6, 10, 1:45 pm

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
My order placed on 9/25 for 1K 2010 N/As just shipped today.
Old Oct 6, 10, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
My order placed tuesday 9-28 , shipped today.
Old Oct 6, 10, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
Just so I understand properly:

Purchase $250 or $500 in coins

Receive coins and then take them to the bank

Deposit Coins and then once the deposit posts, pay credit card for the $250 or $500 coin purchase

Earn miles.

Repeat.

Is this correct? I just found this thread, and it looks like a very good deal!
Almost. Deposit your first $500/$1000 in an interest bearing account, and use your second coin order to pay off the first. Repeat until the program ends or you've had enough.
Old Oct 6, 10, 2:55 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by crabbing View Post
Repeat until the program ends or you've had enough.
Funny how with this program, people do get to the "had enough" stage. I've taken breaks for a while; otherwise it can be too much.
Old Oct 6, 10, 3:14 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
Just so I understand properly:

Purchase $250 or $500 in coins

Receive coins and then take them to the bank

Deposit Coins and then once the deposit posts, pay credit card for the $250 or $500 coin purchase

Earn miles.

Repeat.

Is this correct? I just found this thread, and it looks like a very good deal!

The method stated above is not in compliance with the Mint's T&Cs
Old Oct 6, 10, 3:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pawtim View Post
Funny how with this program, people do get to the "had enough" stage. I've taken breaks for a while; otherwise it can be too much.
+1.
Old Oct 6, 10, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The remaining from 09/23 finally have tracking numbers and UPS actually shows Billing information received.

All is good now we can go on a 10 days cruise come Saturday w/o having to worry about packages arrive while we are away as UPS would only hold the non-delivery for 5 business days. The Mint CSR told me in case the packages not arrive in time and UPS refuses to hold despite with tracking numbers, do call the Mint back and they would notate the orders for such.
Old Oct 6, 10, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum/Million Mile Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by benmaller View Post
10 days from order date not shipped date IME.
OK..9/22 order
shipped 10/4
arrived 1/5

10/5 order
"Order Status: Your order request is on hold."

Let me ask again about the 10-day requirement......??? Order or Ship date?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: