Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Do you intend to get thousands $ worth of gift cards? If so, why bother with the coins, just buy gift cards at the grocery store and paid it with your CC.
You can't deposit gift cards into your checking account to pay for the gift cards. That's the point of all these posts. Free miles.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thebat
You can't deposit gift cards into your checking account to pay for the gift cards. That's the point of all these posts. Free miles.
OP was saying s/he could avoid the fee at Coinstar by getting giftcard. Happy was saying OP could buy the giftcard with the CC directly to still get the miles. Yes that's free miles, but why go through the hassle to get the coins with the CC, convert the coins into giftcards, which can't be deposited into checking account anyway? Happy's point was to just buy the giftcards with CC and that's it, skipping the step with the coins.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA
2 things:

- Some banks have free coin machines if you're a member.
- I'm going to start buying Lotto tickets with these coins. Who knows? I may just get lucky.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:54 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Ken-NJ
Both arrived at 10AM. 1 SAC, 1 JEFF. Quarterly condo dues paid, rest going to property taxes next month.

SO the question is....even though I ordered on 9/22, the shipment of 10/4 means I cannot order again until after 10/14 ??

TIA
10 days from order date not shipped date IME.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: CO, DL, SW, SPG, CapitalOne Venture
Just received $5k the other day... e-mail direct ship (not customer service) and they'll reply
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Talking Hey, Elections Are Coming Up!

Anyone following the mint's directive to spend the dollar coins by buying votes, say in Alabama?

BTW, seeing my September orders all shipping now.

Last edited by AlohaDaveKennedy; Oct 6, 2010 at 11:24 am
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just so I understand properly:

Purchase $250 or $500 in coins

Receive coins and then take them to the bank

Deposit Coins and then once the deposit posts, pay credit card for the $250 or $500 coin purchase

Earn miles.

Repeat.

Is this correct? I just found this thread, and it looks like a very good deal!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ordered Sept 27 4 bxs of GW
Still shows my order is in progress... and looks like it took some avail credit on my CC too...
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stoughton
09/24 - Sac's still in process
Finally shipped - 10/6

Someone must be working eary at PBGS today
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:35 am

Order was placed on Sept. 24 and it was shipped out today ( 10/6 ).
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Anyone following the mint's directive to spend the dollar coins by buying votes, say in Alabama?
Ouch, Dave. Non-corrupt Alabamian here. (all ten of us meet for coffee every tuesday)

But what an innovative idea! No serial numbers on coins to be traced. I'll have to suggest that to the lobbyists.

Andyandy
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

Deposit Coins and then once the deposit posts, pay credit card for the $250 or $500 coin purchase

Earn miles.

Repeat.

Read the sticky on the front of this forum and then go back about 40 pages and read through them to see some of the recent updates. At one time people would order thousand's of coins, take them to the bank and pay the credit card off. Then repeated the process. The Mint now has a cap in place of $1,000 maximum every 10 days. When you go to usmint.gov, look under the $1 Coin Direct Ship program rules and you will note the intent of the program is to circulate the coins and not immediately deposit the coins. Some do and some don't. The program has lost some of it's luster and may not be worth the hassle. You'll see some posters waiting for every shipment, wondering what's happening to their coins; if you do place an order, relax, they'll show up. Buy coins, spend them and enjoy the process.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Earn miles. Repeat.
Yep, provided your word means nothing. Basically you give your word on:
"The immediate bank deposit of $1 coins ordered through this program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the program."

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...dentifier=8100

PS A minimum $500 order is needed to get free shipment.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KenfromDE
PS A minimum $500 order is needed to get free shipment.
Not for direct ship coins
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by andyandy
Ouch, Dave. Non-corrupt Alabamian here. (all ten of us meet for coffee every tuesday)

But what an innovative idea! No serial numbers on coins to be traced. I'll have to suggest that to the lobbyists.

Andyandy
Don't forget to wear rubber gloves. Otherwise DNA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.