Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Oct 28, 08, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post

Wife: uses "Apartments 1 & 2" and orders about $8,000 worth of coinage. Fulfills above card agreement for bonus.

Self: Does same thing, using no Apt and also sending some to me mother, where we can go pick up the coins and deposit later.

MM
You were never worried the post office would not deliver or deliver to a wrong address?
Old Oct 28, 08, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
What's the deal with the Monroe coins? They never seem to be in stock!
Old Oct 29, 08, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
You were never worried the post office would not deliver or deliver to a wrong address?
they ought to... mostly because in my experience--at least in towns with single family homes vs cities with apartments and rules akin to that of western Europe, where you almost need to 'register' yourself as a resident, mail comes when there are all kinds of glitches and mis-lables in the addresses!

Why, I once got a child support check from the state for a girl whos family USED to live here years ago and we happened to recognize the name and knew her, so we gave her the unopened letter (it was obvious what it was) so she could pursue the matter.

Here below is my run-on as to why I am also inclined to think I am relatively ok with all this stuff at least in my small town and that of my mother:

the mailman and I have often chatted about things like previous owners of my 100 year old home and how some had the town name and some had "south" in front of it, or the two zip codes we have in this small town (whereas some are the town name and some are the SOUTH) and he knows me well know and the people in the post office do two (in fact, that's the case in both post offices, as well as the one in the neighboring town, who's PO is right near us cuz we are near the town line, and how the one in my mother's town knows her, and so on and so on...

and yeah, with this risk-taking mile venture, I worry a bit, but more so about from where they come before they get to this hamlet of mine...

I gave the mail carrier some Red Sox paraphernalia because he's a cool guy and we are both fans. I also did this because he has had to carry these coins.

(PS that Phillies?Rays seires sure does increase its historically low TV ratings by postponing the game 2 days out!)

This gig is a good mile gig BECAUSE it is risky.
Old Oct 29, 08, 2:09 pm

Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
Ordered my first $1500 on Friday and they arrived today. Must slink/clink to the bank now.
Old Oct 29, 08, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
So what cards are you guys using for this deal?

First and formost I'm using them for fulfilling the $750 thresholds of my various Citi AAdvantage cards I churn.

After that, I've mostly been using AMEX SPG and HHonors in order to help (along with the TC deal) hit the spending thresholds for gold status to be conveyed by AMEX in the two reward programs ($30K and $20K respectively before Dec 31st of this year).

Now that those thresholds are met for SPG and will be for HHonors very soon (thanks to the TC's), I've been dumping the rest onto my old GM Card (old program rules with 5% earning and $500 earning cap per year, no limit on redemption amount -- if anyone remembers that card). Of course, I'm not really looking to buy a car right now, but, I've had luck in the past selling the points to friends/family members. Or who knows if in a few years some investments pan out, I've always liked that CTS-V...but, I digress...

I also remember there used to be a Citi card that had a 5% cashback for the first 3 or 6 months or something and 1% there after (but, don't see the offer any more). That would have actually worked out quite nicely being that I've been able to order over $10K from this...
Old Oct 29, 08, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boxo View Post
Ordered my first $1500 on Friday and they arrived today. Must slink/clink to the bank now.
Wow, that is truly quick.

I ordered my first $500 JQA '02 on Monday for standard shipping, and when I looked up the card in the evening, the authorisation was already taken. However, the status remains On Request.

Are there particular coins that ship faster than the others?

EDIT: I just checked again 9pm in the evenihg, the status changed to In Process.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 29, 08 at 7:08 pm
Old Oct 29, 08, 4:17 pm

Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Are there particular coins that ship faster than the others?
I ordered a a mixed bag, but mostly Adams.
Old Oct 29, 08, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
I've always had the shipment arrive before the charge ever hits my card. Also, usually the status changes to shipped the day before they arrive
Old Oct 31, 08, 10:48 am

Programs: Too many to list
For the first couple of orders our bank took the coins, rolled, no question. (They did have our account#/deposit slip so they could've tracked us down if there was any problem with the count)

Last couple of orders they've made us unroll all the coins and run them through the counting machine.

$1000 in rolls, $1000 was counted. $500 in rolls, $500 counted. $750 in rolls, $750 counted.

This time, sure, we'll unroll...visions of 26K AA miles posting in our heads. The coins are all tossed into the machine....totals at $1001. Huh? The Mint made a mistake...and in our favor? Wow the miles and we made $1 to boot.^

This stuff all tends to even out in the end, so next time we'll probably get a count of $998 or near there.

Either way this has been a nice way to get those minimum spends done!
Old Oct 31, 08, 10:53 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Offer valid 10/01/07 through 1/31/08. Chase Free Checking requires a $100 minimum opening deposit of new money to qualify for the $125 reward. Chase Free Checking has no monthly service fee when you have a monthly direct deposit. Limit one personal checking account-related reward/premium per customer, per calendar year.

I did see deals for $50 and $100 to open one. Am trying to do this but cannot confirm those.
It also looks like the max you can fund from a CC is $2000. Not a huge amount, but not chump change either. You'll have to keep the account open for six months, with a monthly direct deposit to avoid a maintenance fee, to keep the $125 reward.

Still seems like a good deal. I plan to do it as soon as Chase fixes the spelling of my name and contact address which is somehow correct for my CC but wrong for my "primary" master account.
Old Oct 31, 08, 1:10 pm

I placed my first order two weeks ago, received, and deposited coins (no problem). I then placed an additional order using a different card. I used the same billing address, but a slightly different shipping address and name than I used the first time. The order was cancelled so I called and sure enough they cited the terms and conditions regarding the limit of two rolls per president per person. How on earth are people placing additional orders?
Old Oct 31, 08, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ordered on Monday, status changed to "ship" today by UPS

I thought UPS does not accept shipment of currency?!

Isn't the standard orders are shipped by USPS?

There is a tracking number but no link associated with the order.

Can I track it on UPS website?
Old Oct 31, 08, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Can I track it on UPS website?
I've received coins via USPS/DHL (DHL to the local PO, then USPS to my location); via Fedex, and via UPS. All have tracking, only Fedex required a signature.

UPS left $1k on my stoop yesterday, I got in 9 hours later and took in the box. (I saw it was delivered via the tracking, but being a FlyerTalker, I was bouncing through airports all day).

We have multiple cards issued to different family members on the same account, and have had success getting up to $1000 each of several presidents that way.
Old Oct 31, 08, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
I've received coins via USPS/DHL (DHL to the local PO, then USPS to my location); via Fedex, and via UPS. All have tracking, only Fedex required a signature.

UPS left $1k on my stoop yesterday, I got in 9 hours later and took in the box. (I saw it was delivered via the tracking, but being a FlyerTalker, I was bouncing through airports all day).

We have multiple cards issued to different family members on the same account, and have had success getting up to $1000 each of several presidents that way.
My orders with different cards on the same account were cancelled. Can you describe how you do this? Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 08, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
Wow, I really need to check MilesBuzz more often. Thanks to the OP for this tip - just ordered 5 presidents worth * 2 = $2500 on my SPG AMEX. Fortunately I work from home, so I'm on a first name basis with my FedEx and UPS drivers who visit me almost daily. (The USPS is another story -- I'm praying it doesn't get shipped via USPS, who manages to lose just about anything important!)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: