Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
I've deposited into Chase, Harris and TCF with no problems here in the Chicago area.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by thehawk75
There's really no rhyme or reason as to why some get canceled and others don't (when ordering more than the $500/president). I have found you can minimize the cancellations by doing the following:

1) Keep each order at $500 or less
2) Use different credit cards
3) Ship to different names, for example your kids, your pets, etc (it seems the 'shipping name/address' is more important than the 'billing name/address' for this.

As said, this is just my experience, and obviously I haven't gotten it down to a science yet. One thing for sure though, I would theorize that ordering beyond the $500/president from the same US Mint 'account' is an absolute SURE FIRE way to get the order canceled. This is one of the 'easiest' checks that can be programmed into their system. Probably a 100% automated cancellation.
I would agree. no accounts.
and now, to make new orders, you ought to try switching and having it so your wife or father or someone else's card does the ordering. They will get the miles too, but at least it's seen as a new set of people on the mint lists.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I would agree. no accounts.
and now, to make new orders, you ought to try switching and having it so your wife or father or someone else's card does the ordering. They will get the miles too, but at least it's seen as a new set of people on the mint lists.
I was originally using my wife's name as the billing address, as she is an authorized user on one of my cards. However, I later found I could just keep using my name and billing address (and of course my own cards). The shipping address/names is where I mixed it up. Last week they delivered $500 worth of Adams to my cat
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, lots of points, & timeshares I got for free. To talk travel deals, PM me!
Originally Posted by timothyp_787
Twelve bucks...it's a LOOONG bridge. ...
Thanks for the info! That's some bridge! (And some toll, too!)

yeah lots of times, 'expedited shipping' only means it will get there faster from the day they send it, and not that it will be sent faster.

in other words, they could decide to send it a month from now for example, but you will just get it faster from that moment. it stinks. (Personally, I dunno why you'd want to pay anything extra to get these coins--seeing as how we are kinda doing this for the cheep miles also, but hey, I dunno... maybe you like the coins also).....
True, when you pay for expedited shipping, some places don't expedite the processing, just the shipping. Still, the Mint says "2-3 business days" for delivery, which implies fast processing as well as fast delivery.

I agree that it generally wouldn't be worth paying for expedited shipping just to get the credit card points. But, I need a few thousand dollars more charges by October 30th to qualify for a 15000 Starpoint bonus on my new Amex card. So, buying the coins won't just get me a Starpoint per dollar spent, it will also (hopefully) help get me a 15000 Starpoint bonus. I figured that expedited shipping would make increase my odds of having my credit card charged in time. Also, the last two times I ordered, they just left this box of money sitting there in front of my house, no signature required! I was hoping that with expedited shipping, there would be more security.

By the way, the expedited shipping cost less than what the item description said -- they subtracted the cost of regular shipping, because that's free for these coins. So, expedited shipping cost something like $12 or $12.95 (I forget which), not $17.95 or whatever they say in the description.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, lots of points, & timeshares I got for free. To talk travel deals, PM me!
An update: I checked my mail today, and there was a plain brown box with $1500 cash in it, sitting in front of my door! No signature was required. That's a bit scary, but no one stole the money, so it's OK.

The box was shipped UPS Ground. I checked my receipt, and I actually wasn't charged for expedited shipping. I could've sworn I selected expedited shipping -- maybe they don't actually offer it for this program, even though there is a place to select it?

Oddly enough, although I have the cash in hand (well, not literally in hand -- I couldn't fit that many coins in my hands), my credit card has still not been charged. I hope they charge it in time to qualify for the 15000 Starpoints promotion, rather than, say, the next day!
Old Oct 24, 2008, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by JudyS

..But, I need a few thousand dollars more charges by October 30th to qualify for a 15000 Starpoint bonus on my new Amex card. So, buying the coins won't just get me a Starpoint per dollar spent, it will also (hopefully) help get me a 15000 Starpoint bonus. I figured that expedited shipping would make increase my odds of having my credit card charged in time...

I am going to assume you know about the AMEX Travelers Cheques (especially since it's the other active thread in this forum). Of course that assumes you live anywhere near a place to buy them -- but you can order them online, $1000 every two weeks for something like $5 shipping only these days anyway (read the other forum for the coupon code).

Here's a couple other things that might help you hit that threshold:

1) eBay/Microsoft Live cashback offer (currently 25%, max $200 off any 'buy it now' listing paid with paypal). Buy something liquid, I find with 1 OZ gold coins you can actually get under the spot price once you get that $200 cash back 60 days hence. Easily resell it for spot price (actually more), and make a profit. So, there's approximately $800 spending (times 6 if you haven't used it yet).

2) Gift cards (perhaps for airlines you often use)? Do some early Christmas shopping? Not quite as 'conserving' of money, but, all depends how much you'll be short by, if you're paying for expedited shipping, you must be close to your threshold. Maybe over pay a cell phone bill or something? Just thoughts.

Last edited by thehawk75; Oct 24, 2008 at 6:29 pm Reason: asked a question already answered...
Old Oct 25, 2008, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by thehawk75
I am going to assume you know about the AMEX Travelers Cheques (especially since it's the other active thread in this forum). Of course that assumes you live anywhere near a place to buy them -- but you can order them online, $1000 every two weeks for something like $5 shipping only these days anyway (read the other forum for the coupon code).....
Oh, that's a great suggestion! ^^^ I had been following the AMEX Travelers Cheques thread, but I gave up when I couldn't find anyone in my area that sold them. I didn't realize there was also an option to buy online; I'll head right over to that thread and check it out.

I might buy some gift cards to make the minimum, but there's a risk of losing them or forgetting about them, plus it's hard to use up the last few dollars on some GCs. I've used the Microsoft Live Search Cashback promotion, but only for things I was planning to buy anyway. I realized, about a month ago, that trying to make the $15k minimum spend was causing me to buy things I otherwise wouldn't, and I decided I really wanted to put a stop to that.

When I signed up for the AMEX SPG card, I didn't think I'd have any problem spending $15k in 6 months, but I've found that a lot of things I pay via credit card are Visa/MC only. Also, my husband's name isn't on the AMEX SPG card (I figure I'll get him his own card later, to qualify for the promo again) and he does a lot of our charging.

Thanks very much for the ideas! Flyertalk rocks!
Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA General
I asked my local credit union about depositing rolled coins, and they said that it would be easier if they are loose because they have to run these through the machine. Boy, I don't want to break loose the coins and bring a huge bag in there....

I also have a WaMu account but WaMu is not present in my area, but there is a Chase branch 1 mile away. Since they are now technically the same bank, can I go to the Chase branch and expect them to deposit my rolls of coins for free? Anyone has tried that??
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it ought to be free and I can think of NO cases in which I would deposit money otherwise.

banks should take these. The ones that do not (BofA with its limits I had imposed on me once) are being strong arm-like.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just a nice example on how this thing can work fer ya:

Wife: signs up for that Citi AA MAstercard where you spend $750 and get 25,000 miles (they will post within one statement if you spend this money that quickly)

Self: does same thing.

Wife: uses "Apartments 1 & 2" and orders about $8,000 worth of coinage. Fulfills above card agreement for bonus.

Self: Does same thing, using no Apt and also sending some to me mother, where we can go pick up the coins and deposit later.

Wife: pays for both downhill ski passes for whole 2008/09 season - $2,000

Self: Pays property taxes online for 2 properties - $2,000+

Miles in both accounts with AA after all is said and done in a couple month's time:
35,000+ AA miles for each person

Round Trip to Maui can be booked for us both from BOS

total cost: some fees and taxes under $100.

Results: Priceless!

MM
Old Oct 28, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Wife: uses "Apartments 1 & 2" and orders about $8,000 worth of coinage. Fulfills above card agreement for bonus.
Has anyone else had any luck getting massive amounts of these coins on a single credit card (but multiple shipping addresses), and if so, about how many coins?

I can get 5,000 badly-needed EQMs if I spend about another $20K on my UA Visa before about Dec 7. I'm willing to tweak my address, ship them to my wife, heck, ship them to out-of-state relatives if necessary. But all of the charges would need to go on the one card.

I suspect you might get away with this since the mint probably cannot or does not (for privacy and potential data-loss reasons) keep a database of previously-used credit card numbers for comparison on future orders.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
If you don't have one already, you can open a Chase checking account, get a $125 bonus and fund your account with your United Visa to reach your bonus EQM. It does NOT show up as a cash advance. It shows as a purchase.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by joediver
If you don't have one already, you can open a Chase checking account, get a $125 bonus and fund your account with your United Visa to reach your bonus EQM. It does NOT show up as a cash advance. It shows as a purchase.
link pls??

thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by yyyccclll
link pls??

thanks.
You need a coupon code. When you log into your Chase cc account online there should be an ad in the upper right hand corner. Click on that and you'll get the code.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joediver
Offer valid 10/01/07 through 1/31/08. Chase Free Checking requires a $100 minimum opening deposit of new money to qualify for the $125 reward. Chase Free Checking has no monthly service fee when you have a monthly direct deposit. Limit one personal checking account-related reward/premium per customer, per calendar year.

I did see deals for $50 and $100 to open one. Am trying to do this but cannot confirm those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.