Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by rc408
I had a similar situation. Once the order is flagged as a problem there is nothing a rep can do (thought they don't know this). The order will remain on hold until cancelled. Unfortunately you need to call and cancel the ordr and the wait an ADDITIONAL 10 days from the date the rep placed the 'corrected' order to replace it for the four boxes. They system does not get overridden when a rep makes a change, it only sees an incorrect order was placed and a change was made to an incorrect order.

This was my experience.
This has not been my experience.

If I accidentally placed an order too early (by a day or two), it will go on hold, but I can place an order a day or two later which goes through just fine. I did not have to wait an ADDITIONAL 10 days after my mistake order. Nor did I have to call the Mint to cancel it. It was canceled automatically on its own (I believe after 30 days).
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Peeking in the Christmas Package

Got a box today that looked like it was dropped and retaped. An inner box was smashed open as well. No mint literature was in the box (contents removed?). Don't like the look of this as it has all the hallmarks of somebody poking a hole and peeking in the Christmas package.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Most of these self-operated machines hold 3-4 bags that hold around 2,000 coins each. If you don't mind wasting extra time using this method by all means, otherwise I'd look at another branch or bank.
Actually, in my one and the only experiment with our local TD Bank's Penny Arcade, I learned the sorter is pre-programmed to STOP counting once a pre-set amount is reached. While it displays "the bag is full' message, the bag is very far from full, but the amount has reached a ridiculously low pre-set level of $100!

I was lucky that there was an extremely nice and helpful teller who came out behind the counter and stood there to help me crack the remaining $1250 and changed the bag EACH $100! I cannot thank him enough for doing this and not complain a single word. He actually asked his co-worker, a female teller should they just take the rolled coins instead of going through this nonsense. His co-worker said no. So he finished his task on hand and came out to help me. He explained to me having a larger bag makes no difference - it is the program the machine owner sets - he could not remember their machine is managed by Brink or somebody else but that is what it is - the huge bag is only filled with $100 $1 coins in the bottom and the machine stopped counting unless he changed the bag. I cannot thank him enough and all he said was he is doing his job. Amazingly nice young man, especially when comparing the mean co-worker who seemed to be on a power trip.

Needless to say this is the first and the last experiment with such, despite the TD Bank is conveniently located 1/2 mile from home.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dont you READ the Mint's website? It is amazing how people do not spend a few minutes on the authentic source to verify information.

Click on any of the products offered and you will find the information about the program which of course has changed numerous times since the start of 2 years ago...

It is $1000 limit every 10 days.

Your credit card is NOT authorized because your order goes above the allowed limit, and is auto-rejected by the computer despite it may show up on the Mint's system as "declined by credit card" because no authorization has ever gone through.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...egory_rn=27238

Originally Posted by greendx
So I've known about this deal for a long time but never really had the need. So finally a need came up, I ordered 5 boxes of 2010 native american coins on sept 5th on my brand new AA Citi Amex card. Finally checked the order status last night to see that it was on hold. I checked the FAQ which just said to give the mint a call. Called them up this morning and was told there was a hold on my CC. Called Amex and they said there was no hold and that I can go ahead and spend away. Called the mint and was told that the reason for the hold was that I ordered 5 boxes and 4 is the limit. I know the FAQ says there is a 50 box limit but based on both my first and second interaction with us mint customer service I wasn't going to try to argue/explain anything to them. So the agent told me she emailed "them" to have the hold removed and card re-ran after she changed my order to 4 boxes and told me to call back on Monday or Tuesday to check on the status. My order online was updated to 4 boxes and still says hold.

Any idea why I would have a hold here? I figured with a brand new credit card and a $1250 2nd purchase maybe there would be a hold of some sort but with Amex saying I'm ok what gives?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Dont you READ the Mint's website? It is amazing how people do not spend a few minutes on the authentic source to verify information.

Click on any of the products offered and you will find the information about the program which of course has changed numerous times since the start of 2 years ago...

It is $1000 limit every 10 days.

Your credit card is NOT authorized because your order goes above the allowed limit, and is auto-rejected by the computer despite it may show up on the Mint's system as "declined by credit card" because no authorization has ever gone through.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...egory_rn=27238

No I DID NOT read the website when I ordered. Thank you for the friendly reply though.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Actually, in my one and the only experiment with our local TD Bank's Penny Arcade, I learned the sorter is pre-programmed to STOP counting once a pre-set amount is reached. While it displays "the bag is full' message, the bag is very far from full, but the amount has reached a ridiculously low pre-set level of $100!
Thankfully they're all set @ $2,000 around here.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Thankfully they're all set @ $2,000 around here.
Yeah, I find this is rather ridiculous to have $100 limit. The nice teller said because they are really set for the changes people bring in and not for the $1 coin. They dont have anyone bringing in $1 to the Penny Arcade ever, according to him. I guess I am the guinea pig who find out the $100 limit. lol.

Also thankfully we have plenty of BofA and Wachovia where they are fine to take in the wrapped coins. A few branches have customers asking for such but of course there are also branches cannot take in even $500 every week. It all depends on their customers needs and the size of the branches needless to say.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Also thankfully we have plenty of BofA...

I've had problems with B of A. Twice.

I'm not sure how they handle these things in your area, but, here in Southern California, they actually take your deposit, give you a deposit receipt, but then have the audacity to 'count' the coins later and make adjustments to your deposit based on what 'they' count.

In full detail, the process is as follows:
1) Take your coins and give you a receipt
2) Put your coins in these giant zip lock bags where they write your account number on them
3) Ship the coins down town where they are then counted
4) Make adjustments to your deposit.

Problem I have with them is I have left the bank after step #1, and had no idea about the later steps. They insist they have an excellent and thorough chain of custody, I say BS. One time they said my deposit was off by $53.37 -- yes, a deposit in $1 coins happened to be off by an amount less than the lowest (and only) denominated coin. Another time they said I was off by $77 on a $2000 deposit -- BS again. That's 80 rolls and they say that more than 3 are missing in that, a 3.85% miscount. Please.

Real problem is. This is a cash deposit, and they're trying to treat it like I gave them a check or something. If I had bought a big screen TV in cash, and the store accepted that cash issued me a receipt and let me walk out with the TV -- they couldn't 'count' it after then 'if' they find something off come to my home demanding more money, or take back the TV. Transaction is complete. They accepted the cash. I fail to see how B of A thinks it can get away with counting cash a week later at a different location, after the cash has been handled by numerous other parties, can post changes to an account based on that -- and worse not even tell the customer that's how their deposit will be handled. Absolute piss poor procedure.

Sorry for my rant, but, with BofA in California, WATCH OUT!

Ok, the good news, the branch manager at the branch I made the deposit at credited all the taken funds back to my account, however, they would not admit that they have a bad process or that they made a mistake, in fact he insisted the count was correct and made it clear that getting the credits was being done as a favor to me (in other words, don't expect them to do it again if there's another difference in count, a week after making another coin deposit).

I know I am not the only one who this has happened to. When I first posted this, I got a PM from another guy who also had his account debited about a week after his deposit, but, in his case even worse. Something like $148 on a $2000 deposit. Last I heard he did NOT get his $148 back.

I'd be very very leery of dealing with BofA for these deposits. Make sure they're not trying to do this 'count the coins a week later' nonsense with you.

Last edited by thehawk75; Sep 17, 2010 at 5:45 pm
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehawk75
I'd be very very leery of dealing with BofA for these deposits. Make sure they're not trying to do this 'count the coins a week later' nonsense with you.
Are you being told UPFRONT of this process?

When you said being given a receipt, was it a normal deposit ticket receipt or something else?

I remember you and a few others have reported such incidents in last year. There are a lot of others who use BofA in other states but it seems this is the problem confined in your location (California, SoCal may be? where "laundry" is not uncommon being at the South border).
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Are you being told UPFRONT of this process?

When you said being given a receipt, was it a normal deposit ticket receipt or something else?

I remember you and a few others have reported such incidents in last year. There are a lot of others who use BofA in other states but it seems this is the problem confined in your location (California, SoCal may be? where "laundry" is not uncommon being at the South border).
Nope, not once was I told that's what they were doing. I only found out on the day I saw this strange debit appearing in my account. BTW, also took them nearly 6 hours to find out what the debit was. Half a day later after me asking w-t-f this debit is, they called me back saying 'you made a coin deposit and we later counted it and found a different total, goodbye'

The receipt is a regular old receipt like any other. In fact, same receipt that also had a cash deposit of $200 (in $20 bills) on it as well as the coins.

Well, glad you don't have that 'count after the fact' nonsense in your area. But, those in SoCal: You have been warned.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, not once was I told that's what they were doing. I only found out on the day I saw this strange debit appearing in my account. BTW, also took them nearly 6 hours to find out what the debit was. Half a day later after me asking w-t-f this debit is, they called me back saying 'you made a coin deposit and we later counted it and found a different total, goodbye'

The receipt is a regular old receipt like any other. In fact, same receipt that also had a cash deposit of $200 (in $20 bills) on it as well as the coins.

Well, glad you don't have that 'count after the fact' nonsense in your area. But, those in SoCal: You have been warned.
When were these incidents happen? not in this year I assume?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by Surface Interval
This program has gone through several changes since it started. The latest is that you can order 4 boxes of any $1 direct ship coin per 10 days per address.
Really?

What it says, and what is reality are two different things.

Just ordered 12k Starpoints today alone.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by mrpickles
Really?

What it says, and what is reality are two different things.

Just ordered 12k Starpoints today alone.
I thought you made it clear that you would like this not to be posted about until you make your presentation.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 7:01 am

I had to sign a "subject to count" agreement with TD Bank here in NY. I unroll the coins and place them in the large coin bags which I bought online. Out of about 100K in deposits I have been charged back $6.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:07 am

This sucks. Can you exchange for $20 bills on the spot? Of course, assuming no fee and smaller amount (like $100 a time?)

Originally Posted by Schutzee
I had to sign a "subject to count" agreement with TD Bank here in NY. I unroll the coins and place them in the large coin bags which I bought online. Out of about 100K in deposits I have been charged back $6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.