Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Oct 20, 08, 9:26 pm
  #976  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 10 months VLC, 2 months everywhere else
Programs: *A
Posts: 3,770
Dangit, some places are refusing to take these. I had a cashier today say "We don't take them tokens."

Anyone else run into this problem?
GuyverII is offline  
Old Oct 20, 08, 10:20 pm
  #977  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chapel Hill, NC--
Posts: 162
I'd understand the refusal if one was trying to pay with them in bulk...( I may try rent next month) but a few here or there--- at most I get a comment, but it seems like most people have seen them. And I live in the middle of nowhere...(not RDU anymore)

similar to i&m09:
I do try to honor the spirit... but gave the better uncflyer so to deposit at the bank... she walked in with boxes... they actually unwrapped all of the rolls and put them through the counting machine....these things were in sealed boxes from the Mint (and rolled). She heard them talking i.e. "where did they get all of these coins?"

I usually only pay for things with the CC.. but I now pay for things with coins after I get the "We don't take AMEX"... ok fine... "here's 30 coins"....and yes my pockets are wearing out.
uncflyer16 is offline  
Old Oct 21, 08, 12:08 am
  #978  
In memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,020
My pockets are in great shape (Eddie Bauer quality ). But, then I wouldn't try to get a month's rent into them!

Had no problem in depositing a lot of coins today at the bank, in the original, wrapped, rolls.

I spend a lot of the coins, but, several thousand is a lot to spend in the credit card era.
biggestbopper is offline  
Old Oct 21, 08, 4:52 am
  #979  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,039
I have used them for the Doctor's office co-pay (only once or twice though if seeing same DR about an illness in a short period of time because eventually THEY probably cant use them )

I bet people could use them in a church offering if you sit in the pew and they pass the gold plate In fact, what a good reason to GO to church--to see if, after say, several weeks of doing this, the minister might bring it up when they do the short community news in between sermons...I could see it now. The minister finishes a sermon, they do a hymn and then he gets up to speak about local town news and adds this: "In other news, it has come to our attention that persons being ever so kind as to add offerings are doing so with these new strange dollar coins. Um we can no longer accept them and while your money pleases God, can ya please use paper currency next time?"


Of course I do not think the above would really ever happen, since most churches would take even foreign currency in such situations and they all tend to appreciate the donations for whatever causes they use them for.

But since we are talking about places that will not accept the coins, I find it rather strange that we get the brunt of finding out who's naughty and who's nice when it comes to using them. I mean, here we all are buying these in bulk and trying to earn miles but also do some sort of good deed by participating in the circulatory efforts of the government by using some of them to pay for things too, and yet businesses we frequent will not do their part by accepting the legal tender!

What gives!
Well, at least we are earning the miles.
And it's partly WHY I am in this mainly for those. Why add guilt into this stuff? Just get miles and make it easy!

But still, don't they know that if they took the coins, it would only eventually foster further ease in using them over all?

Sure, not many people want to carry pirate's loot worth of gold coins in little gunny sacks everywhere or in your pant pockets all day (what, with obesity already on the rise, why make your hips look even more bulk-ridden?) but since these things don't seem to be going away like the Susan B Anthony did, I think we ought to tell the US mint about every place that doesn't want to take them.

Why not, eh?
Marathon Man is offline  
Old Oct 21, 08, 7:32 am
  #980  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta
Programs: Delta; Marriott Silver
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
Hope you live somewhere like me, where that property tax assessment is less than $600 per year . . .
My mortgage company pays the property tax on my primary residence. The property tax I'm referring to is on some land I own and amounts to about $400 or a little more. I've had a conflict with the tax office before in my county so heres the story!

Several years ago I tried to pay my ad valorem (car) tax with a check from my bank which is located in Indiana. The check was denied because it was an out of state bank. At this point I marched into the tax commisioners office and demanded an explanation why the same check is good across the hall for property tax but not for my "tag" tax. He is in charge of both groups. He replied "well you might just write a bad check and then drive the car out of the county and we would have problems. I then replied don't you think it is highly unlikely I would do this since my HOUSE and LAND are located in this county. Long story short he did not budge so I paid my Ad Valorem tax with $20 one dollar bills and about $50 of quarters, dimes and pennies all unrolled. They accepted the coins and the lady behind the counter made some comment about needing dollars anyway. I could tell she was not very happy which made me happy.

LS
LastSurvivor is offline  
Old Oct 21, 08, 7:36 am
  #981  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta
Programs: Delta; Marriott Silver
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
you could order the walmart card online, right? If there's no shipping on that, then you just need to pay with amex online and not have to park.

or, when going to a costco or sams, use a mileage earning debit card. BofA has one. It earns less miles but it is decent for such events./

where does one pay the power bill in cash? Mine is to national grid, by mail or EFT only. No CCs

There is a charge ordering a Walmart gift card online for shipping I'm sure.

Costco takes AMEX so no issue there.

I've got to move the coins anyway so I'll just cut out the trip to Walmart and use them at Sam's if I have a few left. On a BIG purchase I might do the Walmart gift card route.

The local Georgia Power office is about 150 feet from my house. The hours are 8a-5p and there is a drive through and a place for after hours payments. I'm sure I can't get $80 worth of coins in there but there is a sign on the door with hours and NO CC payments accepted. On my off day I will make the walk and pay the bill with coins. Will let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!

City Hall (for my city water bill) is about twice the distance and I plan on doing the same thing for my next water payment. They do take MC/Visa but with a 3% fee. Get ready for some Presidential coins.

LS

Last edited by LastSurvivor; Oct 21, 08 at 7:44 am
LastSurvivor is offline  
Old Oct 21, 08, 12:28 pm
  #982  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Posts: 2,018
It 'seems' shrinking your order size minimizes the chances of cancelations

I've had much more success in getting more than the 2 boxes per person by shrinking the order size down to $500 (i.e. not trying to get all available $3500 in one shot).

I'm even using cards in the same name that have already received the same 2 presidents already, and orders are shipping.

Other differences (that could also account for the increased success) are I am shipping to a different name/address than the billing name/address (i.e. work address in my name, home address in my daughters name, then in my cat's name, etc.)

At any rate, still testing this theory, but, I'm up to a total of $7,000 out of this program now, and have not seen one order that was $500 or below canceled yet.
thehawk75 is offline  
Old Oct 21, 08, 12:45 pm
  #983  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Posts: 3,711
Originally Posted by LastSurvivor View Post
My mortgage company pays the property tax on my primary residence. The property tax I'm referring to is on some land I own and amounts to about $400 or a little more. I've had a conflict with the tax office before in my county so heres the story!

Several years ago I tried to pay my ad valorem (car) tax with a check from my bank which is located in Indiana. The check was denied because it was an out of state bank. At this point I marched into the tax commisioners office and demanded an explanation why the same check is good across the hall for property tax but not for my "tag" tax. He is in charge of both groups. He replied "well you might just write a bad check and then drive the car out of the county and we would have problems. I then replied don't you think it is highly unlikely I would do this since my HOUSE and LAND are located in this county. Long story short he did not budge so I paid my Ad Valorem tax with $20 one dollar bills and about $50 of quarters, dimes and pennies all unrolled. They accepted the coins and the lady behind the counter made some comment about needing dollars anyway. I could tell she was not very happy which made me happy.

LS

Ha! Excellent.

I had an uncle who paid a speeding fine entirely with pennies in the early 1960's. This was considered very clever until the judge made him personally count them in front of the clerk of the court.
Wilbur is offline  
Old Oct 21, 08, 1:57 pm
  #984  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ORF
Programs: DL Silver
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by GuyverII View Post
Dangit, some places are refusing to take these. I had a cashier today say "We don't take them tokens."

Anyone else run into this problem?
Sounds like you ran into an ignorant cashier. I haven't had any real trouble yet, but I only usually use a couple of them at a time. I've run into a couple of folks who look at them (and me) funny, but I have been able to allay their suspicions by reminding them of state quarter program and the Sacagawea gold dollar, and then explaining that this is a program that essentially combines the two. Takes a couple of minutes, but is less annoying than having to dig for singles -- especially if I don't have them.

The closest I came to having them refused is when I got caught at the southbound toll stand of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel one night with less than $12 dollars in my wallet. I had to scrounge for loose change in my pockets and car, and ended up paying with every bill and coin denomination lower than a five, including pennies. The toll worker kept flipping the dollar coins back and forth suspiciously until I finally swore to her they were legal US dollars. When she responded that she said something like she didn't remember them as being so small before she waived me on, I thought, "Has she not seen a dollar coin since the Ike dollar?"
timothyp_787 is offline  
Old Oct 21, 08, 2:48 pm
  #985  
k2o
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: @konorth MI
Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond,Hyatt. SPG Gold,
Posts: 315
coins

Did I miss the boat here? I thought the max to order was $500!:
k2o is offline  
Old Oct 21, 08, 3:06 pm
  #986  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an ORD approach path
Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Posts: 12,922
Originally Posted by k2o View Post
Did I miss the boat here? I thought the max to order was $500!:
$500 per specific president coin per address
There are lots of presidents, and some of us have recently subdivided our houses into multiple apartments and suites
Gargoyle is offline  
Old Oct 21, 08, 5:27 pm
  #987  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the road
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 1,051
Originally Posted by thehawk75 View Post
I've had much more success in getting more than the 2 boxes per person by shrinking the order size down to $500 (i.e. not trying to get all available $3500 in one shot).

I'm even using cards in the same name that have already received the same 2 presidents already, and orders are shipping.

Other differences (that could also account for the increased success) are I am shipping to a different name/address than the billing name/address (i.e. work address in my name, home address in my daughters name, then in my cat's name, etc.)

At any rate, still testing this theory, but, I'm up to a total of $7,000 out of this program now, and have not seen one order that was $500 or below canceled yet.
Can't say we've had the same success. Thought that shrinking the order to $500 would work, but even though Mr. & Mrs. Cheapskate have different last names they have still cancelled orders on anything over $500 per pres per address. Urgggh, nothing ventured...
Cheapskate Travels is offline  
Old Oct 21, 08, 10:48 pm
  #988  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere in Florida
Posts: 2,114
Just curious...is anyone else finding themselves spending more of these coins (vs. depositing) than they thought they would? I always take a couple of rolls out of each shipment but find myself actually using the coins more & more. I can't think of the last time I've actually touched paper cash since I started doing this deal. There's only a single $20 in my wallet right now. But a pocket full of coins.

Originally Posted by jcb10 View Post
The banks are figuring this deal out. I dropped off $625 (out of a $750 order) at a Citibank in Redwood City, Calif., this morning. The teller, taking my coins, asked, "Are you doing this for the points?"

"Huh?" (I was that dumbfounded.)

"Someone came in the other day and deposited $1000 of these. He said he was doing it for credit card points."
Okay, which FT'er was this? C'mon, fess up!


Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
At least from what I have seen, it says it comes from:

FULFILLMENT CENTER
4638 E SHELBY DR STE 104
MEMPHIS TN 38118-7411
That's what mine said as well. I Google Map'd the address. Very unassuming building. Enough so that I think if someone were to break into it they'd be shocked by what they found. I was expecting a fortified complex. Instead it appears to be just any other warehouse.

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles View Post
Here's a question to all coin buyers:

Where are you storing these coins?
Probably not the wisest place -- car boot, buried behind one of the panels. There's a false bottom in my car's boot to make a flat surface. I can fit two boxes on both sides of the car quite nicely. It also gives me an incentive to do something with them ASAP.

Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
Ha! Excellent.

I had an uncle who paid a speeding fine entirely with pennies in the early 1960's. This was considered very clever until the judge made him personally count them in front of the clerk of the court.
The toll bridge to Sanibel, FL used to be $3.00. I'd always go in the "Exact Change" lane and start chucking in broken rolls of pennies. The coolest part -- the go/no go display actually counted down as each penny was counted by the machine. Since then the toll's been raised to $6.00 and I've not been out there since. I refuse to spend $6.00 to cross a bridge because the city had used the bridge toll money for non-bridge work and suddenly found itself in need of a replacement bridge.

I do use the $1 coins for the Sunshine Skyway bridge in St. Petersburg, FL. Well worth the $1 and the toll takers are very familiar with the coins.
KRSW is offline  
Old Oct 21, 08, 10:56 pm
  #989  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,370
Originally Posted by KRSW View Post
That's what mine said as well. I Google Map'd the address. Very unassuming building. Enough so that I think if someone were to break into it they'd be shocked by what they found. I was expecting a fortified complex. Instead it appears to be just any other warehouse.
That's a facility for PFSWeb.
They handle order processing and get returns back to the Mint, but I don't think they have large stores of coins there. They may get the coins in and label them for shipment, but it isn't a warehouse of coins in the normal sense.
http://www.ustreas.gov/exhibit300/20...edacted%20.pdf
soitgoes is offline  
Old Oct 22, 08, 12:01 am
  #990  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,924
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
I just placed one for the following:

Product Name Quantity Price (each) Total Availability Gift Box Product Ship Date
Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - George Washington (Y06)
2 $250.00 $500.00 In Stock N
Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - John Adams (Y02)
2 $250.00 $500.00 In Stock N
Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - Thomas Jefferson (Y03)
2 $250.00 $500.00 In Stock N
Subtotal (w/o Shipping & Handling) $1,500.00
Shipping & Handling (includes any Gift Box charges) $0.00

Total Order $1,500.00

Destination... ANC
Update... got an email tonight saying it was shipped

No CC charge yet

Shipped via USPS

Shipping Method:
NO CHARGE - REGISTERED

(Parcel Post)

Last time it was Fed Ex... ugh
beckoa is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: