Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Aug 30, 10, 8:55 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
I'm quite amazed at the level of perceived "ownership" of IP for this deal... as if somehow if you are in on the club it's your right to make sure nobody else finds out. Let's face it, Ingy here has done more help for the FF community than I would guess every single contributor here for the last 100 pages.

And if someone is pissed that he posts it on his blog, did they really think about it before posting it here and then basically doubling up the traffic?

FWIW I read Ingy's blog every day, love it, all very useful info. I personally am gladd I now know a workaround. I likely won't abuse and will use to double up from once every 10 to once every 5 days.

BUT IT'S NOT LIKE YOU ALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO DECIDE IF I SHOULD KNOW OR NOT!!!!!
^^^^^
Old Aug 30, 10, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
I know the moderator will look at this thread later -- but honestly, can't everyone just be respectful & not jump down someone's throat because they're a 'newbie' or impatient, or whatever, here?!
Old Aug 30, 10, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by ingy View Post
Here we are with the old "FT is the only source of information" line again.

First off, I didn't write the comment that it could kill the deal, the guy that emailed me did.

Secondly, my readership is miniscule compared to FT. Not even close.

And why shouldn't the readers of my blog have the same information that you do? I have no idea where the email sender got his information as I haven't followed the Mint thread for months. Some of my suggestions have appeared on FT and you don't hear me complaining.

Convince me you have propreitary rights to the info and I'll pull it.
This isn't about "proprietary rights". Nobody is complaining about your right to have the information or even give out the information. People are complaining about the way you chose to do it. Many of us have known about this and have chosen to PM others with the information. I think this is a much more responsible way of doing it so it doesn't get ruined for others. Even Mr. Pickles showed restraint on announcing this one.

Let me ask you this... For a program that has already been severely restricted due to this type of activity, do you think it's a good idea to list out exactly how to beat their system and embarrass them publicly?
Old Aug 30, 10, 9:57 am

Programs: Several dozen
Bad for Business

This type of paint by the numbers stuff is bad for business and will no doubt cause a reaction on the part of the mint.

Have no problems with people being creative, but please just leave some details to the imagination.

Originally Posted by Scooby3597 View Post
Looks like the cat is out of the bag. Here is how to avoid the 1K / 10 days limit:

Frugal Travel Guy
Old Aug 30, 10, 10:04 am

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Nothing to see here, move along...

The cat may be 'out of the bag' for this particular angle, but there's more calicos in that sack, if you know what I mean...

Consider this: despite some excellent free press earlier this year (thanx alot WSJ), order to ship times are way down, and the congressional requirement isn't going anywhere.

We all know people (friends, family, co-workers) who know that we order coins, but simply aren't interested in doing it themselves. They *know* that we're racking up miles n' points, but their eyes glaze over after 'they get delivered to your house or PO box...'.

As much as it might crimp one aspect of this pursuit, I support Rick overall, in recognition of all that he's done for me, and for us. Think TIB, Continental checking, Citi churn, SunTrust checking, and those are only off the top of my head...

Heck, I have an open challenge to any lurkers from the Mint: open a dialoge with us, your most loyal customers on this program. You need us as much as we want you, and we are providing you with a nationwide distribution system with zero downstream labor costs... and we're happy to do it!
Old Aug 30, 10, 10:11 am

Programs: Several dozen
What's in the Bag?

An understatement - think we have a whole feral cat colony in that piece of burlap.

Well, unlike Paris Hilton, at least what's in our bag is legal!

Originally Posted by msp2anywhere View Post
The cat may be 'out of the bag' for this particular angle, but there's more calicos in that sack, if you know what I mean...
Old Aug 30, 10, 10:18 am

Well, I doubt many are able to actually spend more than $1k/10 days, so this will be of limited use for most.
Old Aug 30, 10, 10:42 am

Agree

Originally Posted by msp2anywhere View Post
Consider this: despite some excellent free press earlier this year (thanx alot WSJ), order to ship times are way down, and the congressional requirement isn't going anywhere.

We all know people (friends, family, co-workers) who know that we order coins, but simply aren't interested in doing it themselves. They *know* that we're racking up miles n' points, but their eyes glaze over after 'they get delivered to your house or PO box...'

This is so true and applies to FTers and non FTers. My husband is aware of the WSJ story so he knows folks do this but thinks it's too much of a hassle. I am an FTer but I keep trying to find other things rather than doing this. I keep thinking about how to store those boxes and when to take them to the bank and which bank (my credit union said I'd have to run them thru' the coin machine :-( ..). So, some hints here and there probably and hopefully won't hurt or kill the deal. This is very different from citi account funding, it requires work.

Having said that, going by my recent record at scoring cc approvals, darn those experian inquiries from citi account funding days, I think I'm going to HAVE to do this if I want to go on a vacation anywhere next year. And no, not paying for a vacation, FT spoiled me
Old Aug 30, 10, 11:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
The spirit of the program

Not here to complain or point fingers about other's tachniques/practices.

But I have, in an effort to stay somewhat within the program's guidelines, have decided that I will become the "change guy" here at my place of employment.

We have tons of vending machines that will take a $1-$10 billS but then they give change in quarters. All of the machines take $1.00 coins, so I will just let it be known that I ALWAYS have change for $5/10/20 bills in my office.

The coins go into circulation, I get paper $$ back which I can then deposit without hassle.

My company has 1,000 emplyees, we'll see who this works out.

Last edited by Gamecock; Aug 30, 10 at 12:26 pm
Old Aug 30, 10, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
have decided that I will become the "change guy" here at my place of employment.

[snip]

My company has 1,000 emplyees, we'll see who this works out.
Do you keep your coins in your office desk?!

I have several rolls in my desk. Fortunately one must pass by my secretary to get into my office and at night it's locked behind her door as well as mine.
Old Aug 30, 10, 11:32 am

Wow. I didn't think posting a link to The Frugal Travel Guy would cause such a commotion.

Let's face it. It was just a matter of time before this became public knowledge.

Originally Posted by jjwjjw View Post
Even Mr. Pickles showed restraint on announcing this one.
Themrpickles was going to explain it in details at the Chicago Do in about 5-6 weeks. He just likes to be in the spotlight, IMO. It is clear in my mind things would snowball from that point.

So basically The Frugal Travel Guy is just a little bit ahead of the others, and I applaud him for sharing this type of information with his readers. ^
Old Aug 30, 10, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Scooby3597 View Post
So basically The Frugal Travel Guy is just a little bit ahead of the others, and I applaud him for sharing this type of information with his readers. ^
I don't think anyone would have cared if he had put up a post to have people email him for more details on the Mint program. This could have been handled much more discreetly to the benefit of everyone here.

Last edited by jjwjjw; Aug 30, 10 at 12:39 pm
Old Aug 30, 10, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by weave View Post
Do you keep your coins in your office desk?!

I have several rolls in my desk. Fortunately one must pass by my secretary to get into my office and at night it's locked behind her door as well as mine.
I will, and people have to get past my secretary....
Old Aug 30, 10, 1:15 pm

The post has been taken down at FTG. The reason is pretty funny.
Old Aug 30, 10, 1:24 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
Has anyone else noticed that the telephone number to the U.S. Mint (if you try to speak with an operator) has been busy all day? Has anyone else had a problem reaching them? Maybe all of Frugal Guy's friends are calling...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: