Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:21 pm

Why is that?

I just wanted to know if anyone reported any problems with that card.

Last edited by cvfd1607; Aug 25, 2010 at 6:31 pm
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA
@cvfd1607 Not anymore soon since you gave away the name of the card.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Please read the sticky entitled
"US Mint Dollar Coin FAQ - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING IN COIN THREAD"
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by junkymail
I have spg amex, if I buy $1,000 worth of coins every month, will it raise a flag to amex?
Yes, don't do it!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pawtim
Unless something has changed, it always goes Held > Open > Shipped (unless there's a problem). If you didn't see your earlier order with the "open" status, I suspect that the reason is just because you're not monitoring the Mint website 24/7, but I do think it passed through that stage.

Open is good news; it's the green light and means they may ship at any time.
I never see "Open" - it is always goes through 3 stages: On Hold - In Process - Shipped.

As long as it turns into In Process, it may ship at any time between next day or next several days.

I assume when you guys say "Open" you mean the In Process status.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Amex and Chase are "abundance of caution" cards -- lots of people have had no problems, but don't go overboard. Lots of people have had problems.

US Bank offers no benefit for using their cards. That's the only one I can recall, but checking the sticky might yield another one.
Honestly I don't think it's really so much the card as one's usage patterns and perhaps luck (of lack thereof) that determines whether you will have problems. I've used several different cards including SPG Amex, Citi MC, and Schwab Visa and none of them ever gave me any trouble. I'm sure others have had problems with the same cards. YMMV.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Yes, Happy, we are both right (or all right) -- I just logged in to my account and checked.

When I log in and check "My Account", my last order is called "open" (if I'm lucky).

But when I click through to that order, the status is "in process".

Anyway, regardless of the details, the spirit of my earlier post remains: moving from "held" to "open" or "in process" is good news, should be promoting smiley faces.

Originally Posted by Happy
I never see "Open" - it is always goes through 3 stages: On Hold - In Process - Shipped.

As long as it turns into In Process, it may ship at any time between next day or next several days.

I assume when you guys say "Open" you mean the In Process status.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Honestly I don't think it's really so much the card as one's usage patterns and perhaps luck (of lack thereof) that determines whether you will have problems. I've used several different cards including SPG Amex, Citi MC, and Schwab Visa and none of them ever gave me any trouble. I'm sure others have had problems with the same cards. YMMV.
Yes, well, I am not sure if you were "disagreeing" with my post, but regardless, I agree with yours. I'm part Irish, so I am a fan of luck!

Also, one time a few years ago I had an unusually frank discussion with someone from Citi's approval department, and the basic theme was something like: "you don't even use the Citi cards you have, so why should we give you another one?"

She had a good point, but eventually we came to an agreement.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:10 pm

Yes, well, I am not sure if you were "disagreeing" with my post, but regardless, I agree with yours. I'm part Irish, so I am a fan of luck!

Also, one time a few years ago I had an unusually frank discussion with someone from Citi's approval department, and the basic theme was something like: "you don't even use the Citi cards you have, so why should we give you another one?"

She had a good point, but eventually we came to an agreement.
No, not disagreeing with you at all.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:31 pm

Programs: Lotz
I had thought about using B of A's Alaska Air card. Then I read it's T&C and it has in clear terms no rewards for any sort of cash equivalent transactions. You don't get much more equivalent to cash than coins. Something tells me B of A is not a good choice.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Is it just me, or is this thread getting extremely annoying to read lately ???
I might unsubscribe to keep my stress level down.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Originally Posted by tassojunior
I had thought about using B of A's Alaska Air card. Then I read it's T&C and it has in clear terms no rewards for any sort of cash equivalent transactions. You don't get much more equivalent to cash than coins. Something tells me B of A is not a good choice.
Every card's T&Cs say that.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by PatMike
Is it just me, or is this thread getting extremely annoying to read lately ???
I might unsubscribe to keep my stress level down.
Not sure why your stress level would be high. The deal has been going on for years and it's not like there is much in the way of new details to pick up on. Just keep doing what you've been doing (if it's been working for you) and whenever it ends (as all deals do) move on to the next one. Life is too short to get stressed out over something as trivial as annoying threads.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Which FTer is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lJ6hlKqbPA

Skip up to 2:30 for the on-topic bit.

I want to know which FT'er that lady is!
Old Aug 26, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Yeah, it definitely has to do with my spending habits/credit usage why AMEX is giving me trouble... there's no doubt about it. That's what the AMEX CSR told me when he first talked to me about my FR that I'm (STILL!! after 2 weeks) going through. I was maxing out all my AMEX cards every month with coin purchases (and then paying them off of course) and they weren't really happy that I was doing it. So, they're verifying income & bank account balances and possibly closing my business accounts. I actually do have a side business, but because of the way it's reported on my taxes, they're not exactly buying that I'm telling the truth, so they may cancle my business accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.