Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Aug 18, 10, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by tele View Post
Have you considered making a campaign contribution yourself, and get a reserved spot in front of your apartment? You could ask if they would accept a cash (coin) contribution ?
BRILLIANT! Well played sir, well played! ^
Old Aug 18, 10, 1:38 pm
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by tele View Post
Have you considered making a campaign contribution yourself, and get a reserved spot in front of your apartment? You could ask if they would accept a cash (coin) contribution ?
LOL! I'd only donate to the Mayor of San Juan if I could do it entirely in pennies. I can't wait for him to be out of office.
Old Aug 18, 10, 1:46 pm

Re: the concern by the credit card companies.

The issue is that you're paying your credit card bill with funds that the credit card company isn't 100% sure of.

A criminal with access to some phished accounts could use them to pay a credit card account. Even if the funds clear initially, they could be rescinded if the real account holder disputes it. You have 30 days after you get your statement to dispute a transaction on it; this could be up to 60 days after the actual transaction.

A criminal is going to pump as much through the credit card as possible to get the maximum return before they're found out. So he maxes out the account, or tries to pay ahead to get even more through.

The reason for using the credit card rather than the bank funds directly is that it adds an additional layer to obfuscate what's going on, and to take advantage of the float to keep the scam going longer.
Old Aug 18, 10, 4:01 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Well after a long time off I just ordered 50 boxes...is that allowed or just two at a time?

Sorry, could not read the whole thread again!!
Old Aug 18, 10, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by RS250Racer View Post
Well after a long time off I just ordered 50 boxes...is that allowed or just two at a time?

Sorry, could not read the whole thread again!!
Nope, $1000 every 10 days is the new rule of thumb
Old Aug 18, 10, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by juggler451 View Post
Parking at my school was $11/day, but the parking ticket was only $25. Plus, my classmates were the hearing officers for the tickets and so I figured I could get out a ticket (and if not, only $25). After three years of school, I parked on campus about 50 times (normally rode bike). Didn't get one ticket.
I took some night classes and the meters a block from class only accepted up to an hour. I would pay the hour and, if the break was long enough, top it off for another hour. I think an hour was $1.50.

On the other hand, there were parking lots at ~$8/night that were nearby. No other nearby options existed.

My friends wouldn't believe me that it was just cheaper to get the tickets until I kept a log for a semester. My parking cost was ~50% of what it would have been. I was happy when I didn't get one but never sad when I did.

I just wished that the telephone payment system could have created a profile of me to speed up the payment process.
Old Aug 18, 10, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, SPG
Originally Posted by msp2msy View Post
I took some night classes and the meters a block from class only accepted up to an hour. I would pay the hour and, if the break was long enough, top it off for another hour. I think an hour was $1.50.

On the other hand, there were parking lots at ~$8/night that were nearby. No other nearby options existed.

My friends wouldn't believe me that it was just cheaper to get the tickets until I kept a log for a semester. My parking cost was ~50% of what it would have been. I was happy when I didn't get one but never sad when I did.

I just wished that the telephone payment system could have created a profile of me to speed up the payment process.
It can also depend on what type of school you are attending. Future lawyers should avoid unnecessary tickets because some state bar applications requiring you to put down all parking and speeding tickets in addition to "real crimes."
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA,CO,SPG
Ok, the last 2-3 orders I've placed, it has always shown "in process" as soon as I order. I placed an order last night and it still shows "on hold". Has anyone else had an order on hold, past a day after placing the order? I hope they haven't figured out my "system"
Old Aug 18, 10, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by popot53 View Post
Ok, the last 2-3 orders I've placed, it has always shown "in process" as soon as I order. I placed an order last night and it still shows "on hold". Has anyone else had an order on hold, past a day after placing the order? I hope they haven't figured out my "system"
I think you're fine. Sometime it says "on hold" sometime for me and "in process" others. My system continues to work.
Old Aug 19, 10, 8:18 am

Programs: US Chairman Hilton Diamond SPG Gold
When does the Mint usually charge your card? Ordered my first $1000 last week and the order was shipped yesterday. It's showing as delivered this morning on the UPS site (apartment doorman signs for packages) yet my card hasn't been charged and there isn't even a reduction in my credit line that would indicate the charge is pending.
Old Aug 19, 10, 8:39 am

Programs: UA,CO,SPG
It usually posts the day after I receive delivery.
Old Aug 19, 10, 9:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by juggler451 View Post
I think you're fine. Sometime it says "on hold" sometime for me and "in process" others. My system continues to work.
My order from last night also went into a hold status, cross your fingers that they aren't cracking down even more haha
Old Aug 19, 10, 9:37 am

Don't worry about the On Hold status unless it stays that way for more than 4-5 days. I've noticed lately that the orders seem to be On Hold more where before it seemed they went right to In Process after a day or so. An order I had On Hold after 3 days was shipped this morning.
Old Aug 19, 10, 10:07 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by c_alt24 View Post
When does the Mint usually charge your card? Ordered my first $1000 last week and the order was shipped yesterday. It's showing as delivered this morning on the UPS site (apartment doorman signs for packages) yet my card hasn't been charged and there isn't even a reduction in my credit line that would indicate the charge is pending.

My Available Credit usually goes down by the amount I have ordered within a couple of hours, this has been pretty consistent. The actual charge goes thru within a day or a week or a month of shipping, not as consistent.
Old Aug 19, 10, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by c_alt24 View Post
It varies. My available credit drops within seconds on the SPG Amex, within a day for Visa/MC

The charges usually appear on the day I take delivery, occasionally the next day

Search this Thread
Search Engine: