Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Oct 17, 08, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jcb10 View Post
The banks are figuring this deal out. I dropped off $625 (out of a $750 order) at a Citibank in Redwood City, Calif., this morning. The teller, taking my coins, asked, "Are you doing this for the points?"

"Huh?" (I was that dumbfounded.)

"Someone came in the other day and deposited $1000 of these. He said he was doing it for credit card points."

I hemmed and hawed, saying I wanted a few from each president but had to make a $250 minimum per coin issue (partially true). I don't know if I was believed, but walked out as inconspicuously as possible when my transaction was completed.
dont matter. I mean, hey, maybe we are SUPPOSED to only get these with the intent to circulate them--and many of us have done just that despite our main reasoning being to deposit the bulk right back into the banks. BUT, there's certainly nothing illegal about it! Again, it's an example of when marketing wants you to do something but if you do it differently, they find they reserve the right to change the deal.

In the book about the kids from MIT who took Vegas, and in the movie, "21" it's like counting cards. Aint illegal, but not liked by the powers that be.

That said, just continue til some guy named Nunzio comes and tells ya otherwise.

and oh, the jig is NEVER up til the Red Sox come back with 7 outs left and win from 7-0 to 8-7 in the 9th!

WOO HOO!
Old Oct 17, 08, 9:38 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by joediver View Post
Sounds like he only questioned shipping procedures..........I hope
Exactly....thank you!

I'm more worried about the post office/FedEx/UPS just leaving them on my doorstep in a box that reads "US MINT"......
Old Oct 17, 08, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Originally Posted by jtrue28 View Post
Exactly....thank you!

I'm more worried about the post office/FedEx/UPS just leaving them on my doorstep in a box that reads "US MINT"......
Boxes do not say US Mint. I forget what they do say but it's fairly generic like "Processing Station" or something like that.
Old Oct 18, 08, 1:40 am

Programs: HH (Dia), SPG (Gold), IHG (Plat)
Originally Posted by boulderlaw View Post

The first rule of FlyerTalk deals is, you don't call about FlyerTalk deals.

The second rule of FlyerTalk deals is, you don't call about Flyertalk deals.

The third rule of ...

I know those rules apply to mistake fares first and foremost, but it is a good rule of thumb for not ruining a good thing.
While you have a good point in general, it sounded like it doesn't apply in this case. Anyone calling and placing an order for $1000.00s of dollars in coins might reasonably ask how the coins will be shipped, don't you think?

-kirax2
Old Oct 18, 08, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by joediver View Post
Boxes do not say US Mint. I forget what they do say but it's fairly generic like "Processing Station" or something like that.
no, that's what it says on the 'unlabeled box' of the sexy underwear you ordered from one of those illicit spam email websites you finally raised an eyebrow to and actually ordered from that your wife doesn't know you wear! hehehe

actually, I used one of the empty boxes from the mint to store a drill I have. It fits perfect and is on the shelf in my basement./

At least from what I have seen, it says it comes from:

FULFILLMENT CENTER
4638 E SHELBY DR STE 104
MEMPHIS TN 38118-7411
USA

It has ship date, account #, RET # and order #. There's also something called PGID# and then the barcode.

Whether they have come by USPS, UPS, FED X or DHL, the std. ~6" x 10" x 4" cardboard boxes I have received for the $500 orders appears to be in this way. The bigger boxes for $1000 orders may be similar but I don't have one of those.
Old Oct 18, 08, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta; Marriott Silver
UPS left my coins at the wrong house yesterday

Luckily I was able to locate them. UPS would have been responsible for delivering to the wrong house but makes me a little nervous when they screw up the very first shipment.

I haven't decided how to handle my circulation of the coins. First idea is to pay all the bills that I cannot pay with my AMEX. House, water, gas, property tax....etc. Would certainly be easier to just deposit the coins but I do not want to ruin a good deal so I will try to honor the spirit of the deal.

LS
Old Oct 18, 08, 11:37 am

Programs: HI Platinum
Originally Posted by LastSurvivor View Post
Luckily I was able to locate them. UPS would have been responsible for delivering to the wrong house but makes me a little nervous when they screw up the very first shipment.

I haven't decided how to handle my circulation of the coins. First idea is to pay all the bills that I cannot pay with my AMEX. House, water, gas, property tax....etc. Would certainly be easier to just deposit the coins but I do not want to ruin a good deal so I will try to honor the spirit of the deal.

LS
wow - scary! i had my $2500 delivered to my work just for this reason.
Old Oct 18, 08, 12:49 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Platinum
I have a funny story from this morning when I deposited $500 of these coins at my local bank. My deposit was quick and easy, but while it was being processed, a teller took all of the rolls and started to break them apart and put them in a coin counting machine. I asked if I needed to wait until they were counted and she said no. It seems pretty silly that they would break open rolls from the mint.
Old Oct 18, 08, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
My bank had to break $1750 worth of rolls during my last deposit. "Company rules"
Old Oct 18, 08, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL, AA, BA, SPG
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
I just tell them I received the boxes as a birthday gift, and their eyes go wide....

Making up stories is the best part! I like to tell them that I have a client who pays me with them. Usually generates a laugh and they are happy to take them in rolls at both Citi and Chase. Tried Commerce Bank once but I had to open every roll and dump it in their change counter. After each $100, someone has to come and change the bag- kind of a pain.
Old Oct 18, 08, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
If you don't want to bother your local private banker or credit union -- both of which should be very fast for you but a pain for them -- take them to a big bank close to your house where you have an account.

Open the box in the teller's presence, show them the receipt. For me, this helped them accept $2K in rolls without breaking them apart.
Old Oct 19, 08, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by jmorgans View Post
Tried Commerce Bank once but I had to open every roll and dump it in their change counter. After each $100, someone has to come and change the bag- kind of a pain.
I took 2 boxes ($500) to a Commerce Bank in NYC and since I didn't have an account there, they wouldn't take the rolls in bulk but rather told me to use the Penny Arcade coin counter.

However, for some reason, a bank employee offered to break all the rolls and put them through the machine for me. Now that's service
Old Oct 19, 08, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
virtual account numbers ?

Originally Posted by noname View Post
Using the same aadress for all, but different email addresses and credit cards, I am now up to $10,000 in coinage. I've done numerous orders, virtuallyy all have had a line or two cancelled by the mint, but on every order something has been sent out. My strategy has just been as soon as one order is received to place another and hope for the best.^
Does Hilton American Express offer "virtual account numbers" for on line transactions. Seems like I saw that offered by one of my cards. Searched but can't find anything.
Old Oct 19, 08, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
well, 2 po boxes would give you 3500x2.
That's nice. Except that a second PO box (if you don't need it for anything else) would be a whole lot to pay for this.

I thought this was a thread about paying for depositable money by credit card at no cost (other than the recoupable cost of the money bought).
Old Oct 19, 08, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by super-mileage-fan View Post
If you don't want to bother your local private banker or credit union -- both of which should be very fast for you but a pain for them -- take them to a big bank close to your house where you have an account.

Open the box in the teller's presence, show them the receipt. For me, this helped them accept $2K in rolls without breaking them apart.
Breaking them apart? My local WaMu (Chase now I guess) branch will only accept them in rolled form. The teller said they would not accept them broken apart.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: