Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by 96MustangGT
Got a new one with my latest order - two boxes, each one of a different president. Tracking numbers for both USPS and FedEx to ship to a PO Box. I suspect that the FedEx one will drop tonight as I don't think they will use FedEx to ship to a PO Box. But, stranger things have occurred on this thread.
They will use FedEx to ship to a P.O. box.

The USPS has a contract with FedEx that has FedEx ship the packages to the local post office of the eventual recipient and then the USPS delivers them to the specific house (or in your case, P.O. Box).
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
They will use FedEx to ship to a P.O. box.

The USPS has a contract with FedEx that has FedEx ship the packages to the local post office of the eventual recipient and then the USPS delivers them to the specific house (or in your case, P.O. Box).
Just make sure your package fits into your P.O. Box
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:53 pm

Hi guys, I am not a frequent flyer as many of you. But would love a free (or cheap) vacation...I was a big fan of cashback cards but after reading this forum it looks like miles/points cards are more bang for the buck

After reading a lot of this thread I still can't figure out how this works with SPG cards? I read lot of people have FR because of this. IS there any pattern that will help stay under radar? For example ordering coins along with putting other normal purchases or paying off coin purchases right after the order or any other strategy to avoid FR.

Thank you again for all your help and information in this thread
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA; USairways; United; British Air
I see some references in recent posts in this thread to hauling coins into your bank branch "..in the old days". Does that mean that currently you cannot buy the earlier amounts and levels of coins fee free and shipping free as when this thread began back in '08? I'm up to do it but I really dread the moment of walking into my credit union branch and depositing this stuff. Supposing they refuse to accept?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by shorelife
I see some references in recent posts in this thread to hauling coins into your bank branch "..in the old days". Does that mean that currently you cannot buy the earlier amounts and levels of coins fee free and shipping free as when this thread began back in '08? I'm up to do it but I really dread the moment of walking into my credit union branch and depositing this stuff. Supposing they refuse to accept?
There is a sticky thread that outlines all the details. A lot of people are only doing this to meet spending requirements, others are more crafty and have found ways to order more than the limit. Your bank may or may not accept coins, it's a risk you will take. You may hurt your relationship with your bank if you try to haul these in, there are always risks.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ordered 4 boxes of prez on 6th

Supposed to be shipped today
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
There is a sticky thread that outlines all the details. A lot of people are only doing this to meet spending requirements, others are more crafty and have found ways to order more than the limit. Your bank may or may not accept coins, it's a risk you will take. You may hurt your relationship with your bank if you try to haul these in, there are always risks.
Which will be announced on Oct 15th.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr
Which will be announced on Oct 15th.
Some will never learn. That’s why now they have to settle for others crumbs. Funding FI’s with a CC is a perfect example. You try to warn them what would happen but they just did not want to listen. Maybe now they have made it past this ego thing. We can only hope!!!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by QL_714
Some will never learn. That’s why now they have to settle for others crumbs. Funding FI’s with a CC is a perfect example. You try to warn them what would happen but they just did not want to listen. Maybe now they have made it past this ego thing. We can only hope!!!
Could you just let go of my eggo.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
Those numbers are averages and I believe that the date on the bill is from a "series" of currency, so a bill may be dated a certain year, but not actually enter circulation until later. Coins do last a long time, but a fair number are taken out of circulation by coin collectors (there should be practically no dimes, quarters, halves or silver dollars from 1964 or earlier due to their silver content and even pre-1982 pennies have been disappearing due to their copper content). Dealers and collectors have also been hoarding rolls and bags of state quarters since the introduction in the late '90s hoping they shoot up in value.

I don't have any skin in this game, but would probably lean toward $1 and $2 coins just for the cost savings/deficit reduction.
+1, exactly right. Well said. Thank you.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
This is the most read article on BBC News this morning... does not talk about the direct ship but I wonder how many of these stockpiled coins came from the program??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10783019
Here's is Yahoo's lame attempt to follow the BBC's lead:

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93913/...e-dollar-coin/

The question I have is when the Snookie dollar coin comes out, will the mint allow us to immediately deposit the coins to the bank because who wants 1,000 Snookies staring back at you?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:54 pm

I'm not really sure what you mean is that have to settle for others crumbs, maybe you could explain that one to me. I would like to think the theme of this website is to help each other. Most of us would not have any idea about the dollar coin deal if it weren't for this website. I don't mind giving my opinion and suggestion to help others. Yes, it is frustrating that people don't look at the sticky thread. For the people who don't listen to the warnings that is their problem.

The whole thing about mrpickles releasing info on Oct 16th, correct me if I'm wrong.. he already posted that they are not going to allow recording and that they are going to try to keep it within people who are actually attending. I'm not sure if he is getting paid to speak, but if you really think about it some things are better left not posted on the board. There is a reason the mint has put limits on orders, the people who have found ways around the limit probably have a great relationship with their bank... and their bank is willing to accept a higher number of coins than others. If it were to get out on how to work around the limit, people who do not have a good relationship with their bank would try to bring in a large amount of coins which would lead the banks to possibly call the mint.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by swintec
Yes, that is true for most of us who know how to keep a lid on things. Sounds like someone is running low on attention and needs a little charge...or needs something to make themselves and there presentation actually look important at the FlyerTalk meet and greet (if that what the date significance really is).
So sad but unfortunately it looks like it is true.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:02 pm

super extremely long time lurker. (decided to finally register).....

but anybody else see this? A new prez coming august 19!!!!!!!

http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/inde...elease&ID=1150
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:29 pm

So sad but unfortunately it looks like it is true.
I'm going to let the cat out of the bag, if you pull up to the mint in a Uhal they will let you load up as many coins as you can charge on your card... But you can only unload them only at the fed reserve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.