Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:34 pm

Fast service! Order 2 boxes James Madison Thur., shipped today (Mon).
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: A few
This is the most read article on BBC News this morning... does not talk about the direct ship but I wonder how many of these stockpiled coins came from the program??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10783019
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
This is the most read article on BBC News this morning... does not talk about the direct ship but I wonder how many of these stockpiled coins came from the program??

There are a few mentions of Congress introducing bills trying to stop the minting of them and/or phasing out the $1 bill "in the next year".

Either one of those things would be bad for the future of buying them fee-free on a CC.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:55 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by ma91pmh

They should have mentioned us and our role in moving these coins from the Mint vault to the Fed Vault. I do wonder if both use the same outsource security storage company and out beloved coins end up in the same place that they began their journey. Hopefully not.

In addition to the awkward moment that a customer hands a dollar coin to a merchant, they could have mentioned the times in the old days that we rolled $5,000 or so of them into a bank with a suitcase to open a new account with the teller whose mouth is agape. That is kind of an awkward moment, also.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: Several dozen
Ummm....only $5,000?

Ever called a manager out with a dolly to cart in over 10 times that amount?

Originally Posted by Andy2
They should have mentioned us and our role in moving these coins from the Mint vault to the Fed Vault. I do wonder if both use the same outsource security storage company and out beloved coins end up in the same place that they began their journey. Hopefully not.

In addition to the awkward moment that a customer hands a dollar coin to a merchant, they could have mentioned the times in the old days that we rolled $5,000 or so of them into a bank with a suitcase to open a new account with the teller whose mouth is agape. That is kind of an awkward moment, also.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
There are a few mentions of Congress introducing bills trying to stop the minting of them and/or phasing out the $1 bill "in the next year".

Either one of those things would be bad for the future of buying them fee-free on a CC.
Originally Posted by BBC
Only an act of Congress could slow or halt the coins' pile-up, either by phasing out the $1 note or halting the minting of the coins. Neither is likely to happen soon in today's polarised, bitterly partisan political environment, though some in Congress are clearly frustrated.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Yes, but in reality... forgetting about your political views, who in their right mind would actually think that it is a good idea for the country (or their party) to keep producing coins without stopping production of the bills??!!

What they should do is stop making the bills and force people to go to coins, but that makes waaaay too much sense!

But, for the purposes of miles & points gathering, I hope they extend the program for another 20 years. haha
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
THis is an interesting article - my favorite line though has to be:

"Already stamped into millions of pieces of eight-gram, manganese-brass alloy are presidents no-one even remembers anymore, like Franklin Pierce, and ineffectual executives like James Buchanan, whose incompetence historians say helped lead the US to civil war."
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
deleted

Last edited by cordelli; Dec 23, 2010 at 2:07 pm
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by cordelli
Nobody believes the government numbers that bills only last 18 months and coins 30 years, I've got dollar bills in my pocket dated 1999, and the vast majority of coins I see are fairly recent dates.
Those numbers are averages and I believe that the date on the bill is from a "series" of currency, so a bill may be dated a certain year, but not actually enter circulation until later. Coins do last a long time, but a fair number are taken out of circulation by coin collectors (there should be practically no dimes, quarters, halves or silver dollars from 1964 or earlier due to their silver content and even pre-1982 pennies have been disappearing due to their copper content). Dealers and collectors have also been hoarding rolls and bags of state quarters since the introduction in the late '90s hoping they shoot up in value.

I don't have any skin in this game, but would probably lean toward $1 and $2 coins just for the cost savings/deficit reduction.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Could not access my USMint acct. or the direct Tracking with Firefox. IE worked. Must be a Bill Gates conspiracy!

Except Chrome also works (succeeded with IE , hang with Firefox ).
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
Yeah, same with me. I'm trying to check order status w/firefox, but it's still a no-go. IE works perfectly fine though.

works with opera browser @:-)
opera.com
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:03 pm

What is needed for a successful transition from the one dollar bill to coins is a 2 dollar coin. Canada has already found this out from experience. For convenient coins, you need both the one dollar and the two dollar coins, just works better. For example, which would you rather circulate and/or carry to your bank, one or two dollar coins?

Maybe people equate the 2 dollar coin with the two dollar bill, which are whole different stories.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by tele
What is needed for a successful transition from the one dollar bill to coins is a 2 dollar coin. Canada has already found this out from experience. For convenient coins, you need both the one dollar and the two dollar coins, just works better. For example, which would you rather circulate and/or carry to your bank, one or two dollar coins?

Maybe people equate the 2 dollar coin with the two dollar bill, which are whole different stories.
If we had 2 and 5 dollar coins, i would be more inclined to carry coins. What is the point in hauling around a bunch of pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters when all you can get with them is a cup of joe.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:41 pm

Got a new one with my latest order - two boxes, each one of a different president. Tracking numbers for both USPS and FedEx to ship to a PO Box. I suspect that the FedEx one will drop tonight as I don't think they will use FedEx to ship to a PO Box. But, stranger things have occurred on this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.