Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Oct 17, 08, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
I thought the maximum per address was $3500 (and that only with different presidents in each order), and by my math $3500 is "that times 7", not "that times 10".

Meanwhile, you can't stick a fake apartment number on a PO Box number, or a non-USPS POish box (say, UPS Store) Suite number, or (if you actually live in an apartment) your own address which already includes an apartment number. And the person you were replying to is using one of those (a PO Box).

(And not all people's workplaces allow delivery of personal packages. So for some people "ship another package to work" isn't an option either.)

So can you please explain how someone who can't use (or fake) multiple addresses can do it 10 times at $500 each?
well, 2 po boxes would give you 3500x2.
Old Oct 17, 08, 9:09 am

Programs: SPG Platinum | HHonors Gold | AA Gold
"It's illegal for to send currency via UPS..."

"we would deny any claim resulting from this delivery."
-- UPS customer service supervisor Rubin Brown, quoted during a conversation this morning to have my $2500 shipment held for one day.

Ordered on Tuesday, thinking it would take a week or so to get delivered. Murphy's Law would dictate that the one day I'm out of town *all month* is a long weekend Friday (3 days total time? is this a record?). "Customer Service" says it's impossible to affect delivery until the first attempt is made. I'm hoping it's still there when my friend goes to pick it up this afternoon.

Lesson learned: Make sure you have a secure place to send your $$$. UPS is disavowing all responsibility for their part in the transaction.
Old Oct 17, 08, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by TrickyC View Post
Ordered on Tuesday, thinking it would take a week or so to get delivered. Murphy's Law would dictate that the one day I'm out of town *all month* is a long weekend Friday (3 days total time? is this a record?).
On October 3, I received an order four days after ordering - your three days is the shortest I've heard.
Old Oct 17, 08, 10:18 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Just placed an order for the 5 presidents that are currenlty available. ($2500) As the old saying goes...this sounds too good to be true. I called the US Mint, with quesitions about how they are shipped and if a signature would be required. She said that since the amount was over a certain limit that they would use expedited service and ship via FedEx and a signature would be required. We'll see how all this goes.

Also, the automated operator said my order required additional verification from my credit card, which may delay the order. Used my DL AMEX, so I'll see if they call me. I'll be a little upset if they don't...being that they called to verify a $10 charge from Wal-Mart a few months back.
Old Oct 17, 08, 12:29 pm

Using the same aadress for all, but different email addresses and credit cards, I am now up to $10,000 in coinage. I've done numerous orders, virtuallyy all have had a line or two cancelled by the mint, but on every order something has been sent out. My strategy has just been as soon as one order is received to place another and hope for the best.^
Old Oct 17, 08, 12:30 pm

By the way, thank you much to the OP as this has been fun!
Old Oct 17, 08, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-- UPS customer service supervisor Rubin Brown, quoted during a conversation this morning to have my $2500 shipment held for one day.

Ordered on Tuesday, thinking it would take a week or so to get delivered. Murphy's Law would dictate that the one day I'm out of town *all month* is a long weekend Friday (3 days total time? is this a record?). "Customer Service" says it's impossible to affect delivery until the first attempt is made. I'm hoping it's still there when my friend goes to pick it up this afternoon.

Lesson learned: Make sure you have a secure place to send your $$$. UPS is disavowing all responsibility for their part in the transaction.
whenever I expect to be out of town longer than 4 days I ask the US post office to hold my mail. You fill out a form and hand it to the mail man or bring to any po.
Old Oct 17, 08, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
whenever I expect to be out of town longer than 4 days I ask the US post office to hold my mail. You fill out a form and hand it to the mail man or bring to any po.
You can make the request online too. Much easier^
Old Oct 17, 08, 1:38 pm

A few years ago I had 2 cases of lost UPS packages. The onus would be on the sender. Only the sender is permitted to file an insurance claim with UPS, and they are at risk of being denied.

(If the Mint still refused to refund you for some strange reason, a CC dispute stating "merchandise not received" would be adequate.)
Old Oct 17, 08, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL GM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
I just bought my first set...I wonder why I've always skipped over this thread...now that I read it I realize how late to the game I am.
Old Oct 17, 08, 5:01 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by jtrue28 View Post
I called the US Mint

The first rule of FlyerTalk deals is, you don't call about FlyerTalk deals.

The second rule of FlyerTalk deals is, you don't call about Flyertalk deals.

The third rule of ...

I know those rules apply to mistake fares first and foremost, but it is a good rule of thumb for not ruining a good thing.
Old Oct 17, 08, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Sounds like he only questioned shipping procedures..........I hope
Old Oct 17, 08, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joediver View Post
Sounds like he only questioned shipping procedures..........I hope
yeah...

"um hi, I'm doing this scam to earn air miles and well, um I ordered your free shipping coins to pull it off and was just checking on how the shipping works..."

hehehe
Old Oct 17, 08, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards
The jig is up!

The banks are figuring this deal out. I dropped off $625 (out of a $750 order) at a Citibank in Redwood City, Calif., this morning. The teller, taking my coins, asked, "Are you doing this for the points?"

"Huh?" (I was that dumbfounded.)

"Someone came in the other day and deposited $1000 of these. He said he was doing it for credit card points."

I hemmed and hawed, saying I wanted a few from each president but had to make a $250 minimum per coin issue (partially true). I don't know if I was believed, but walked out as inconspicuously as possible when my transaction was completed.
Old Oct 17, 08, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by jcb10 View Post
The banks are figuring this deal out. I dropped off $625 (out of a $750 order) at a Citibank in Redwood City, Calif., this morning. The teller, taking my coins, asked, "Are you doing this for the points?"
I just tell them I received the boxes as a birthday gift, and their eyes go wide....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: