Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 12, 10, 6:40 pm

Thank you. just ordered 1k of NA's, will see how it goes.
Another question I have is does it limit you to 1000coins every ten days, per address or per credit card?
have heard conflicting comments. thanks in advance.
Old Jul 12, 10, 9:24 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by happy2traveler202 View Post
Depending on how much you're ordering, it automatically gets upgraded to overnight (you won't see it anywhere though). I know $1000 gets overnight and think $500 or more does but not sure about that.
It used to be that any orders over $300 got upgraded to overnight, even though the site still says "1-2 weeks." However, I haven't had an order that low to know if it's still the policy.

Originally Posted by lukeswenson View Post
Another question I have is does it limit you to 1000coins every ten days, per address or per credit card?
There have been conflicting results. The official Mint line is "There is a 4-box $1 coin limit for every 10-day period." As with every policy they have had, it's ambiguous.

Originally Posted by cvfd1607 View Post
Any dangers of using the Amex card that had the 30,000 points promotion to buy $1,000 worth of these and then paying it off just to get the starwood points?
My AmEx had the limit significantly reduced when I started getting coins. However, if you're just using it for a 1-time thing, I don't think it's an issue for you. However, as noted before, if this continues with others, they could change their policy for rewards.
Old Jul 12, 10, 9:52 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k
Originally Posted by cvfd1607 View Post
Any dangers of using the Amex card that had the 30,000 points promotion to buy $1,000 worth of these and then paying it off just to get the starwood points?
Nope, my wife's new card is doing just fine.
Old Jul 12, 10, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta, Wyndham Rewards, Continental, Starwood.
Anyone notice this??

I recently bought $1K of Native American coins from the mint. I've bought coins many times before, but now the charge is appearing differently on my AMEX credit card.

The charge used to be worded "US MINT COIN SALES". My recent charge though, is now worded "OFC DOLLAR COIN", and if the "+" on the left column is clicked it shows in detail "US MINT CIRCULATING DOLLAR COIN SALES"

Seems like the Mint is trying to bring this to the attention of the credit card companies.

Watch out everyone. We don't need no cash advances

K
Old Jul 12, 10, 11:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by kman73 View Post
I recently bought $1K of Native American coins from the mint. I've bought coins many times before, but now the charge is appearing differently on my AMEX credit card.

The charge used to be worded "US MINT COIN SALES". My recent charge though, is now worded "OFC DOLLAR COIN", and if the "+" on the left column is clicked it shows in detail "US MINT CIRCULATING DOLLAR COIN SALES"

Seems like the Mint is trying to bring this to the attention of the credit card companies.

K
Yeah, that started happening about a month or so ago (maybe only a few weeks, but I don't remember for sure) on my AMEX & Chase statements. I'm sure that it's going to really start biting some people (hopefully not me! haha) now that there is no argument about what exactly is being bought.

I'm sure this is one of the measures that the Mint is taking to try and limit people from abusing the program. This is also why you've got to have a whole seperate cart & checkout if you're ordering dollar coins. You can no longer have mixed purchases on the same order.
Old Jul 13, 10, 9:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Second Update:

Got yet another email from Mint about a "Return" of a box to them.

Went to check order status and it shows this:

Product Name Quantity Price
(each) Total Item Status
JAMES MADISON $250 BOX $1 COINS 1 $250.00 $250.00 2 units shipped on 06/17/2010, 1 units returned
GEORGE WASHINGTON $250 BOX $1 COINS 2 $250.00 $500.00 2 units shipped on 06/17/2010
JAMES MADISON $250 BOX $1 COINS 1 $250.00 $250.00 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 07/16/2010.

It looks like the Mint processed the shortshipment as a "Return" to generate a credit. Then it will ship again on July 16... Now this single box would surely be ship by USPS...

Why can't they simply close the case by the refund?!
I just checked the UPS tracking info for a 1K order of NA's that is supposed to be delivered today and it looks like they are only weighing in at 14lbs. I hope that they didn't short me one too...... (Oddly, I am also in FL....)
Old Jul 13, 10, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by kman73 View Post

K
Please read the FAQ
Old Jul 13, 10, 11:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JB5150 View Post
I just checked the UPS tracking info for a 1K order of NA's that is supposed to be delivered today and it looks like they are only weighing in at 14lbs. I hope that they didn't short me one too...... (Oddly, I am also in FL....)
Just an update....despite the low weight, everything arrived just fine! ^
Old Jul 13, 10, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just an update....despite the low weight, everything arrived just fine! ^
Dont know how that could happen - unless they discovered the shortage after the first weighing but they have not re-weighed it after fixing the shortage (so they can use the old shipping label).

You are lucky. Mine did come in short $250. It took the Mint 2 weeks to process the credit. The short-shipped box is now on back order till Jul 22. I am tempted to cancel it.
Old Jul 13, 10, 4:11 pm

Very surprised that I haven't heard of this before. Ordered my 1st box last week. Going to spend them at places that don't take CC. Even the vending machine at work started accepting cards a few months ago but the local convenience store and dive bar still take cash only. They'll also be good on the bus. Trying to get wrinkled bills in the fare box is a hassle.
Old Jul 14, 10, 9:54 am

Programs: amex plat., SPG gold
I concurr

I see on my citi card dollar coins come on on the line.... Just got the coins to reach the spending limit are they still going to give credit for it...
Old Jul 14, 10, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by lukeswenson View Post
Thank you. just ordered 1k of NA's, will see how it goes.
Either/or. My orders on different cards started getting rejected due to the same billing address.
Old Jul 14, 10, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Dont know how that could happen - unless they discovered the shortage after the first weighing but they have not re-weighed it after fixing the shortage (so they can use the old shipping label).

You are lucky. Mine did come in short $250. It took the Mint 2 weeks to process the credit. The short-shipped box is now on back order till Jul 22. I am tempted to cancel it.
As I mentioned earlier when you posted, my weights have been all over the place but I always received the correct amount.
Old Jul 14, 10, 2:49 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
Either/or. My orders on different cards started getting rejected due to the same billing address.
same here, mine are limited based on billing address.
Old Jul 14, 10, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
Were they going through before? When did they start rejecting them and were you notified or were your orders just cancelled?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: