Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 12, 10, 6:40 pm
  #9151  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 110
Thank you. just ordered 1k of NA's, will see how it goes.
Another question I have is does it limit you to 1000coins every ten days, per address or per credit card?
have heard conflicting comments. thanks in advance.
lukeswenson is offline  
Old Jul 12, 10, 9:24 pm
  #9152  
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,706
Originally Posted by happy2traveler202 View Post
Depending on how much you're ordering, it automatically gets upgraded to overnight (you won't see it anywhere though). I know $1000 gets overnight and think $500 or more does but not sure about that.
It used to be that any orders over $300 got upgraded to overnight, even though the site still says "1-2 weeks." However, I haven't had an order that low to know if it's still the policy.


Originally Posted by lukeswenson View Post
Another question I have is does it limit you to 1000coins every ten days, per address or per credit card?
have heard conflicting comments. thanks in advance.
There have been conflicting results. The official Mint line is "There is a 4-box $1 coin limit for every 10-day period." As with every policy they have had, it's ambiguous.


Originally Posted by cvfd1607 View Post
Any dangers of using the Amex card that had the 30,000 points promotion to buy $1,000 worth of these and then paying it off just to get the starwood points?
My AmEx had the limit significantly reduced when I started getting coins. However, if you're just using it for a 1-time thing, I don't think it's an issue for you. However, as noted before, if this continues with others, they could change their policy for rewards.
IAHtraveler is offline  
Old Jul 12, 10, 9:52 pm
  #9153  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Here Today Gone Tomorrow
Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k
Posts: 791
Originally Posted by cvfd1607 View Post
Any dangers of using the Amex card that had the 30,000 points promotion to buy $1,000 worth of these and then paying it off just to get the starwood points?
Nope, my wife's new card is doing just fine.
nwa330 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 10, 10:55 pm
  #9154  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: Delta, Wyndham Rewards, Continental, Starwood.
Posts: 42
Anyone notice this??

I recently bought $1K of Native American coins from the mint. I've bought coins many times before, but now the charge is appearing differently on my AMEX credit card.

The charge used to be worded "US MINT COIN SALES". My recent charge though, is now worded "OFC DOLLAR COIN", and if the "+" on the left column is clicked it shows in detail "US MINT CIRCULATING DOLLAR COIN SALES"

Seems like the Mint is trying to bring this to the attention of the credit card companies.

Watch out everyone. We don't need no cash advances

K
kman73 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 10, 11:18 pm
  #9155  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BGM
Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 769
Originally Posted by kman73 View Post
I recently bought $1K of Native American coins from the mint. I've bought coins many times before, but now the charge is appearing differently on my AMEX credit card.

The charge used to be worded "US MINT COIN SALES". My recent charge though, is now worded "OFC DOLLAR COIN", and if the "+" on the left column is clicked it shows in detail "US MINT CIRCULATING DOLLAR COIN SALES"

Seems like the Mint is trying to bring this to the attention of the credit card companies.

Watch out everyone. We don't need no cash advances

K
Yeah, that started happening about a month or so ago (maybe only a few weeks, but I don't remember for sure) on my AMEX & Chase statements. I'm sure that it's going to really start biting some people (hopefully not me! haha) now that there is no argument about what exactly is being bought.

I'm sure this is one of the measures that the Mint is taking to try and limit people from abusing the program. This is also why you've got to have a whole seperate cart & checkout if you're ordering dollar coins. You can no longer have mixed purchases on the same order.
SkinsFan0521 is offline  
Old Jul 13, 10, 9:19 am
  #9156  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: TPA
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Second Update:

Got yet another email from Mint about a "Return" of a box to them.

Went to check order status and it shows this:

Product Name Quantity Price
(each) Total Item Status
JAMES MADISON $250 BOX $1 COINS 1 $250.00 $250.00 2 units shipped on 06/17/2010, 1 units returned
GEORGE WASHINGTON $250 BOX $1 COINS 2 $250.00 $500.00 2 units shipped on 06/17/2010
JAMES MADISON $250 BOX $1 COINS 1 $250.00 $250.00 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 07/16/2010.


It looks like the Mint processed the shortshipment as a "Return" to generate a credit. Then it will ship again on July 16... Now this single box would surely be ship by USPS...

Why can't they simply close the case by the refund?!
I just checked the UPS tracking info for a 1K order of NA's that is supposed to be delivered today and it looks like they are only weighing in at 14lbs. I hope that they didn't short me one too...... (Oddly, I am also in FL....)
JB5150 is offline  
Old Jul 13, 10, 9:29 am
  #9157  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Miami, FL, USA
Posts: 3,885
Originally Posted by kman73 View Post
Watch out everyone. We don't need no cash advances

K
Please read the FAQ
aviators99 is offline  
Old Jul 13, 10, 11:51 am
  #9158  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: TPA
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by JB5150 View Post
I just checked the UPS tracking info for a 1K order of NA's that is supposed to be delivered today and it looks like they are only weighing in at 14lbs. I hope that they didn't short me one too...... (Oddly, I am also in FL....)
Just an update....despite the low weight, everything arrived just fine! ^
JB5150 is offline  
Old Jul 13, 10, 3:06 pm
  #9159  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,453
Originally Posted by JB5150 View Post
I just checked the UPS tracking info for a 1K order of NA's that is supposed to be delivered today and it looks like they are only weighing in at 14lbs. I hope that they didn't short me one too...... (Oddly, I am also in FL....)
Originally Posted by JB5150 View Post
Just an update....despite the low weight, everything arrived just fine! ^
Dont know how that could happen - unless they discovered the shortage after the first weighing but they have not re-weighed it after fixing the shortage (so they can use the old shipping label).

You are lucky. Mine did come in short $250. It took the Mint 2 weeks to process the credit. The short-shipped box is now on back order till Jul 22. I am tempted to cancel it.
Happy is offline  
Old Jul 13, 10, 4:11 pm
  #9160  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 34
Very surprised that I haven't heard of this before. Ordered my 1st box last week. Going to spend them at places that don't take CC. Even the vending machine at work started accepting cards a few months ago but the local convenience store and dive bar still take cash only. They'll also be good on the bus. Trying to get wrinkled bills in the fare box is a hassle.
pepperzoe is offline  
Old Jul 14, 10, 9:54 am
  #9161  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: amex plat., SPG gold
Posts: 36
I concurr

I see on my citi card dollar coins come on on the line.... Just got the coins to reach the spending limit are they still going to give credit for it...
monty3377 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 10, 10:48 am
  #9162  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,996
Originally Posted by lukeswenson View Post
Thank you. just ordered 1k of NA's, will see how it goes.
Another question I have is does it limit you to 1000coins every ten days, per address or per credit card?
have heard conflicting comments. thanks in advance.
Either/or. My orders on different cards started getting rejected due to the same billing address.
Stoughton is offline  
Old Jul 14, 10, 2:27 pm
  #9163  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Dont know how that could happen - unless they discovered the shortage after the first weighing but they have not re-weighed it after fixing the shortage (so they can use the old shipping label).

You are lucky. Mine did come in short $250. It took the Mint 2 weeks to process the credit. The short-shipped box is now on back order till Jul 22. I am tempted to cancel it.
As I mentioned earlier when you posted, my weights have been all over the place but I always received the correct amount.
jlgrandam is offline  
Old Jul 14, 10, 2:49 pm
  #9164  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin TX
Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 442
Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
Either/or. My orders on different cards started getting rejected due to the same billing address.
same here, mine are limited based on billing address.
benmaller is offline  
Old Jul 14, 10, 6:42 pm
  #9165  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: HY
Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Posts: 2,307
Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
Either/or. My orders on different cards started getting rejected due to the same billing address.
Were they going through before? When did they start rejecting them and were you notified or were your orders just cancelled?
psyflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: