Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by rrgg
rajuabju I wonder if you should place phone orders instead.
I have been.

Originally Posted by WMPA
Well, the US Federal Government does a pretty good job of (for example) running the postal service, defending the country, and organizing our airspace. I think shipping coins properly to a (small?) businessperson is probably low on the totem pole.

The US Mint making mistakes on your exemptions is small potatoes compared to other things, from my perspective. I'm sure it can be dealt with.
While I agree my issue with the Mint is relatively minor, I wasnt sure if your other comment was serious or in jest (although I'm almost sure you HAD to be kidding)... thus I couldnt resist..

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/07...mb-to-46-cents

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...r-fire/99005/1
Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: Premier Executive
Short Rolls or Short Counts?

I've been making small deposits no greater than $500. Some branches accept them rolled while others have insisted they be loose (if they insist on opening them, at least they do it themselves). My problem has been that three months in a row, the count was short a dollar. One teller told me that they always break open mint rolls and, when I protested (mildly and politely), happily told me that the count was $499. So, what is more likely: the mint count is wrong or the counting machines at two branches made an error, or both? Has anyone else been shorted?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 5:19 pm

I have been depositing 1k at a time with tellers at a few branches of BofA .. Does anyone know if the dollar coins show up in coinstar machines as $1's properly? If so, I would be tempted to alternate between BofA and the free coinstar machines at TD Bank (they just let you redeem for cash for free). Just to diversify.. Sidenote: I do try to spend these locally as well, not all are deposited.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by WMPA
Well, the US Federal Government does a pretty good job of (for example) running the postal service, defending the country, and organizing our airspace..
Sadly I think this person was serious in their review of the Govt and its high quality work. Forget that the USPS is gonna run a 7b deficeit this year. LOL, sounds like its going great.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey
So, what is more likely: the mint count is wrong or the counting machines at two branches made an error, or both? Has anyone else been shorted?
Originally Posted by ooodsie
Does anyone know if the dollar coins show up in coinstar machines as $1's properly?
To both of you, there were reports before of machines incorrectly counting the coins. I haven't experienced it myself because I refuse to use them. Personally, I'd be much more inclined to trust a machine from The Mint that's (more-than-likely) checked very frequently for counting mistakes vs ones in the bank or supermarket that rarely get tested.

Also, just one more point in the curve: I have OCD, so if I open a roll, I always count the coins. In my ~18 months of doing them, I'd say I've probably opened 200 rolls and never been shorted yet.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey
I've been making small deposits no greater than $500. Some branches accept them rolled while others have insisted they be loose (if they insist on opening them, at least they do it themselves). My problem has been that three months in a row, the count was short a dollar. One teller told me that they always break open mint rolls and, when I protested (mildly and politely), happily told me that the count was $499. So, what is more likely: the mint count is wrong or the counting machines at two branches made an error, or both? Has anyone else been shorted?
I used to take my coins to bank where the counting machine would ALWAYS come up exactly one coin short every time its collection bag filled up. The capacity of the bag was $1000, so made sure that I always had exactly 1000 coins to deposit (so I didn't chance losing the buck on a smaller deposit.) I just came to look at it as paying a "convenience fee" of 0.1 cpm.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ooodsie
I have been depositing 1k at a time with tellers at a few branches of BofA .. Does anyone know if the dollar coins show up in coinstar machines as $1's properly? If so, I would be tempted to alternate between BofA and the free coinstar machines at TD Bank (they just let you redeem for cash for free). Just to diversify.. Sidenote: I do try to spend these locally as well, not all are deposited.
I've used coinstar machines at 2 different branches of a bank. At one location, all of my counts have been exact with very few rejected coins that need to fed through again. The second location has been quite different, I normally have a large number of $1 coins that are rejected and have to be fed through a few times before they are accepted. The counts have been exact about 50% of the time, over almost the other 50%. Only once was I shorted exactly $1 by this machine.

I always get "Boy, that was alot of change" from the tellers as I deposit the receipt from the Coinstar machine.

Cheers!
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Always use a coin counting machine at my bank (or chain of banks). 80% of the time they are spot on. The other 20% they may short me $1. I view the dollar I am short as just a convenience fee for not having to have any questions asked about the rolls.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Well my $1000 of NAs are on backorder expected to ship on 7/15. That will put them here probably on 7/19... the day I HEAD TO CHINA FOR TWO WEEKS!!! Ugh.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
I got shorted 1$ too on a $3-4K
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:58 pm

Any dangers of using the Amex card that had the 30,000 points promotion to buy $1,000 worth of these and then paying it off just to get the starwood points?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:02 pm

If you're worried about coins coming when you're in China, if they're on backorder, you can still cancel the order. Also most people have found they tend to ship earlier than the backorder date and they ship overnight.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:04 pm

shipping

I am at the checkout and am recieving a standard shipping 1-2 weeks. Is this what everony does? i click the button to load another option and it comes up as a blank page so confused as to how shipping works. I hear nothing but people getting next day air shipping. Any help soon would be great (order is waiting )
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:17 pm

Depending on how much you're ordering, it automatically gets upgraded to overnight (you won't see it anywhere though). I know $1000 gets overnight and think $500 or more does but not sure about that.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cvfd1607
Any dangers of using the Amex card that had the 30,000 points promotion to buy $1,000 worth of these and then paying it off just to get the starwood points?
I personally don't think there's any immediate danger to this, although for $1000, I'm not going to bother. It's easy enough to rack up $1,000 in normal charges for most of us and to fly under the radar.

Systemically, I do think this poses a risk. The more people get a card, make a Mint charge, get the bonus, and cancel, the more problems we'll all having using the Mint coins in more creative, long-term ways.

Chase, for one, seems to have problems with many people doing this. Amex could be next.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.