Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 9, 10, 1:19 pm
  #9136  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt, SPG, Hilton, Choice, WN, AA, BA, UA, HA, Avis
Posts: 1,161
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
rajuabju I wonder if you should place phone orders instead.
I have been.

Originally Posted by WMPA View Post
Well, the US Federal Government does a pretty good job of (for example) running the postal service, defending the country, and organizing our airspace. I think shipping coins properly to a (small?) businessperson is probably low on the totem pole.

The US Mint making mistakes on your exemptions is small potatoes compared to other things, from my perspective. I'm sure it can be dealt with.
While I agree my issue with the Mint is relatively minor, I wasnt sure if your other comment was serious or in jest (although I'm almost sure you HAD to be kidding)... thus I couldnt resist..

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/07...mb-to-46-cents

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...r-fire/99005/1
rajuabju is offline  
Old Jul 10, 10, 1:35 pm
  #9137  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Programs: Premier Executive
Posts: 17
Short Rolls or Short Counts?

I've been making small deposits no greater than $500. Some branches accept them rolled while others have insisted they be loose (if they insist on opening them, at least they do it themselves). My problem has been that three months in a row, the count was short a dollar. One teller told me that they always break open mint rolls and, when I protested (mildly and politely), happily told me that the count was $499. So, what is more likely: the mint count is wrong or the counting machines at two branches made an error, or both? Has anyone else been shorted?
shadesofgrey is offline  
Old Jul 10, 10, 5:19 pm
  #9138  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 69
I have been depositing 1k at a time with tellers at a few branches of BofA .. Does anyone know if the dollar coins show up in coinstar machines as $1's properly? If so, I would be tempted to alternate between BofA and the free coinstar machines at TD Bank (they just let you redeem for cash for free). Just to diversify.. Sidenote: I do try to spend these locally as well, not all are deposited.
ooodsie is offline  
Old Jul 11, 10, 1:10 pm
  #9139  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 920
Originally Posted by WMPA View Post
Well, the US Federal Government does a pretty good job of (for example) running the postal service, defending the country, and organizing our airspace..
Sadly I think this person was serious in their review of the Govt and its high quality work. Forget that the USPS is gonna run a 7b deficeit this year. LOL, sounds like its going great.
Ken in Phx is offline  
Old Jul 11, 10, 4:02 pm
  #9140  
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,713
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey View Post
So, what is more likely: the mint count is wrong or the counting machines at two branches made an error, or both? Has anyone else been shorted?
Originally Posted by ooodsie View Post
Does anyone know if the dollar coins show up in coinstar machines as $1's properly?
To both of you, there were reports before of machines incorrectly counting the coins. I haven't experienced it myself because I refuse to use them. Personally, I'd be much more inclined to trust a machine from The Mint that's (more-than-likely) checked very frequently for counting mistakes vs ones in the bank or supermarket that rarely get tested.

Also, just one more point in the curve: I have OCD, so if I open a roll, I always count the coins. In my ~18 months of doing them, I'd say I've probably opened 200 rolls and never been shorted yet.
IAHtraveler is offline  
Old Jul 11, 10, 5:39 pm
  #9141  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Welcome to Boston. Expect stupid.
Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey View Post
I've been making small deposits no greater than $500. Some branches accept them rolled while others have insisted they be loose (if they insist on opening them, at least they do it themselves). My problem has been that three months in a row, the count was short a dollar. One teller told me that they always break open mint rolls and, when I protested (mildly and politely), happily told me that the count was $499. So, what is more likely: the mint count is wrong or the counting machines at two branches made an error, or both? Has anyone else been shorted?
I used to take my coins to bank where the counting machine would ALWAYS come up exactly one coin short every time its collection bag filled up. The capacity of the bag was $1000, so made sure that I always had exactly 1000 coins to deposit (so I didn't chance losing the buck on a smaller deposit.) I just came to look at it as paying a "convenience fee" of 0.1 cpm.
timstravel is offline  
Old Jul 11, 10, 6:04 pm
  #9142  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Midwest
Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by ooodsie View Post
I have been depositing 1k at a time with tellers at a few branches of BofA .. Does anyone know if the dollar coins show up in coinstar machines as $1's properly? If so, I would be tempted to alternate between BofA and the free coinstar machines at TD Bank (they just let you redeem for cash for free). Just to diversify.. Sidenote: I do try to spend these locally as well, not all are deposited.
I've used coinstar machines at 2 different branches of a bank. At one location, all of my counts have been exact with very few rejected coins that need to fed through again. The second location has been quite different, I normally have a large number of $1 coins that are rejected and have to be fed through a few times before they are accepted. The counts have been exact about 50% of the time, over almost the other 50%. Only once was I shorted exactly $1 by this machine.

I always get "Boy, that was alot of change" from the tellers as I deposit the receipt from the Coinstar machine.

Cheers!
ejs621 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 10, 6:06 pm
  #9143  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: CA
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 2,879
Always use a coin counting machine at my bank (or chain of banks). 80% of the time they are spot on. The other 20% they may short me $1. I view the dollar I am short as just a convenience fee for not having to have any questions asked about the rolls.
deant is offline  
Old Jul 11, 10, 9:21 pm
  #9144  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CLL
Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Posts: 2,176
Well my $1000 of NAs are on backorder expected to ship on 7/15. That will put them here probably on 7/19... the day I HEAD TO CHINA FOR TWO WEEKS!!! Ugh.
carsonheim is offline  
Old Jul 12, 10, 8:04 am
  #9145  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Posts: 957
I got shorted 1$ too on a $3-4K
david-alexis is offline  
Old Jul 12, 10, 4:58 pm
  #9146  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 88
Any dangers of using the Amex card that had the 30,000 points promotion to buy $1,000 worth of these and then paying it off just to get the starwood points?
cvfd1607 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 10, 5:02 pm
  #9147  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 164
If you're worried about coins coming when you're in China, if they're on backorder, you can still cancel the order. Also most people have found they tend to ship earlier than the backorder date and they ship overnight.
happy2traveler202 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 10, 5:04 pm
  #9148  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 110
shipping

I am at the checkout and am recieving a standard shipping 1-2 weeks. Is this what everony does? i click the button to load another option and it comes up as a blank page so confused as to how shipping works. I hear nothing but people getting next day air shipping. Any help soon would be great (order is waiting )
lukeswenson is offline  
Old Jul 12, 10, 5:17 pm
  #9149  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 164
Depending on how much you're ordering, it automatically gets upgraded to overnight (you won't see it anywhere though). I know $1000 gets overnight and think $500 or more does but not sure about that.
happy2traveler202 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 10, 5:30 pm
  #9150  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 8,284
Originally Posted by cvfd1607 View Post
Any dangers of using the Amex card that had the 30,000 points promotion to buy $1,000 worth of these and then paying it off just to get the starwood points?
I personally don't think there's any immediate danger to this, although for $1000, I'm not going to bother. It's easy enough to rack up $1,000 in normal charges for most of us and to fly under the radar.

Systemically, I do think this poses a risk. The more people get a card, make a Mint charge, get the bonus, and cancel, the more problems we'll all having using the Mint coins in more creative, long-term ways.

Chase, for one, seems to have problems with many people doing this. Amex could be next.
josephstern is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: