Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Oct 13, 08, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Originally Posted by fone View Post
Why do many people want to buy the coins to spend? Is there a difference swiping your card for the points, then spending the coins as compared to swiping your card for the actual transactions? Granted that not all places accept card, but if you were to replace part of what is supposed to be a card transaction with the coins, you will still get the same amount of points.
Most people are looking to get the initial purchase requirement of $250, $500 or $750 under their belts to get the 25,000 mile, 10,000 point, or whatever new card bonus offered without actually "spending" any money. Hence the deposit is just used to pay the first statement.
Old Oct 13, 08, 10:20 pm
In memoriam

The people I give them to love them. Went to a charity party last weekend and paid for the tickets with coins. The ticket folks called everyone on the charity committee over to check out the "gold" coins.

Guess I'll be depositing less in the bank than I thought.

And, you know, 25 in your pocket weigh less than I would have thought.
Old Oct 13, 08, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Why do many people want to buy the coins to spend? Is there a difference swiping your card for the points, then spending the coins as compared to swiping your card for the actual transactions? Granted that not all places accept card, but if you were to replace part of what is supposed to be a card transaction with the coins, you will still get the same amount of points.
Having the coins gets them in circulation and even encourages good behavior (don't have to get change for a $20 bill to leave tips). Plus, the aim is to use the coins where one cannot use a credit card. And a lot of people are curious and like receiving them. I used a ton when I was in Vegas.
Old Oct 13, 08, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
Having the coins gets them in circulation and even encourages good behavior (don't have to get change for a $20 bill to leave tips). Plus, the aim is to use the coins where one cannot use a credit card. And a lot of people are curious and like receiving them. I used a ton when I was in Vegas.
Unfortunately, a lot of people do not recognize that you are giving them dollars and think they are simply quarters. I've had plenty of confused looks when using them.
Old Oct 13, 08, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by joediver View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of people do not recognize that you are giving them dollars and think they are simply quarters. I've had plenty of confused looks when using them.
yeah one cashier did not even believe they were US currency and had to double check with her boss.
Old Oct 13, 08, 11:14 pm

Another use coming up. (I have frequently done this with Susies and Sacies.)

Great to drop in the Salvation Army Kettles at the Holidays.
Old Oct 14, 08, 12:16 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
good call on Vegas...you can earn miles on your gambling losses!
Old Oct 14, 08, 2:25 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Which is exactly why I don't waste a moment keeping them and deposit them into my bank account right away (less 1 roll of each president, just for the heck of it).
Old Oct 14, 08, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by sammy0623 View Post
good call on Vegas...you can earn miles on your gambling losses!
Only tips, but there are a ton of people in Vegas who need tips right now.
Old Oct 14, 08, 9:27 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by GuyverII View Post
My $750 arrived last week. Really disappointed in the number of places that won't take the coins! These people in the midwest are so adverse to change it is ridiculous.

Guess I will just deposit them.
Are retail establishments refusing to accept individual coins as payment or are you trying to pay with rolls? I can see not taking rolls, but that's pretty nasty if they're refusing individual coins (in reasonable quantities).
Old Oct 14, 08, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta UA Spg
I put 90 coins in a treasure chest type box and gave it to my aunt for her 90th birthday...it was a hit!
Old Oct 14, 08, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by studentff View Post
Are retail establishments refusing to accept individual coins as payment or are you trying to pay with rolls? I can see not taking rolls, but that's pretty nasty if they're refusing individual coins (in reasonable quantities).
I believe they legally have to accept them up to around $75 (i forget the number). There are laws written about accepting legal tender currency.
Old Oct 14, 08, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jn024 View Post
I believe they legally have to accept them up to around $75 (i forget the number). There are laws written about accepting legal tender currency.
Only for payments of DEBTS.
Old Oct 14, 08, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by jn024 View Post
Yes, and as has been stated at least a few times in this thread, those laws apply only when the debt exists prior to payment; if the debt is cotemporaneous with payment (i.e. you get your product at the same time as you pay), merchants are entirely within their rights to restrict the forms of payment they accept.
Old Oct 15, 08, 4:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I just placed one for the following:

Product Name Quantity Price (each) Total Availability Gift Box Product Ship Date
Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - George Washington (Y06)
2 $250.00 $500.00 In Stock N
Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - John Adams (Y02)
Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - Thomas Jefferson (Y03)
Subtotal (w/o Shipping & Handling) $1,500.00
Shipping & Handling (includes any Gift Box charges) $0.00

Total Order $1,500.00

Destination... ANC

Search this Thread
Search Engine: