Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jul 6, 10, 9:54 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Plat, Avis PC and lots of other plastic cards with logos on them.
Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521 View Post
Yeah, the dates on there certainly aren't 100% correct, but many times I get my coins shipped right on the date that they say they will. So, hopefully, this will be one of the times where they ship early.
Glad to know. Sounds like I need to check regularly to make sure I will be home when I get a knock on the door from the UPS guy.
Old Jul 6, 10, 9:57 am

2 Quick Questions.

Two quick questions

1. Anyone have bank recommendations? I'm not making the bank im at deal with the coins so im just goign to create an account at another bank for the coin work. BOA, US bank, etc?

2. I have read here that the 4box limit is per card, and per home... can anyone verify which that is? and can you ship to different addresses? ie my office and home?
Old Jul 6, 10, 10:11 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by r.brown View Post
I have always joked around with friends about how bad it would be if I was carrying a bunch of coins in my trunk and I got rear ended...

Well guess what happened today!!! Luckily the coins stayed in the box and not all over the road.

Wow, hope you're okay! I've had the same though a few times about "coins everywhere on the road". I remember a story probably 10 years ago where a Brinks-type truck was in an accident & coins were scattered everywhere on the highway. It was on an overpass, so lots of coins down below.

Originally Posted by deant View Post
The coins in the trunk of my car were worth more than the car.
My wife has brought that to my attention a few times and she's very uncomfortable with that scenario.

Originally Posted by lukeswenson View Post
1. Anyone have bank recommendations? I'm not making the bank im at deal with the coins so im just goign to create an account at another bank for the coin work. BOA, US bank, etc?
With the limited amount of coins that can be ordered now, is the 1k at your bank really a big burden?

To answer your question, I'd say that whatever bank is closest to you is best... maybe even whatever one (or few) have multiple branches so you don't p!ss them off too much, too soon.

2. I have read here that the 4box limit is per card, and per home... can anyone verify which that is? and can you ship to different addresses? ie my office and home?
Mixed reports. I don't think there is a definitive answer for that question. Just try and see what works (or doesn't) for you.
Old Jul 6, 10, 10:22 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Wow, hope you're okay! I've had the same though a few times about "coins everywhere on the road". I remember a story probably 10 years ago where a Brinks-type truck was in an accident & coins were scattered everywhere on the highway. It was on an overpass, so lots of coins down below.
Ironically enough, I just read the following story on Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6652VC20100706

The question is - who would want Euros these days?
Old Jul 6, 10, 4:17 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by closecover View Post
Ironically enough, I just read the following story on Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6652VC20100706

The question is - who would want Euros these days?
Americans traveling to Europe who get screwed without a chip and PIN credit card. GRRR. But that's for another existing thread.
Old Jul 6, 10, 4:31 pm

Any guesses as to what USPS will do when they deliver my box to UPS? I've been having UPS hold all deliveries instead of shipping to my home and my last order is set to the UPS address. I'll miss my new friends over at Brown.
Old Jul 6, 10, 6:08 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Two quick questions

Might be able to offer suggestion for a regional bank if your Profile listed your location.
Old Jul 6, 10, 8:55 pm

500 coins ordered on 7/1 shipped today via UPS next day air...
Old Jul 6, 10, 11:54 pm

Same Boat

[QUOTE=rc408;14253305]Any guesses as to what USPS will do when they deliver my box to UPS? I've been having UPS hold all deliveries instead of shipping to my home and my last order is set to the UPS address. I'll miss my new friends over at Brown.[/QUOTE

I have my shipments sent to UPS too. Recently I had one box on backorder and the Mint mailed it to UPS. UPS did not accept the shipment and it was sent back to the Mint. The Mint called about the snafu and wanted another address, but I simply allowed them to cancel the order ($250) because I did not want to change the address for one box. If future orders go via USPS (has that been confirmed), then I might go back to work deliveries. Now, withe the limits, I would only have to haul 19lbs to my car...or walk to the bank at lunch.

Last edited by Comicwoman; Jul 6, 10 at 11:55 pm Reason: Read the post above...looks like UPS is still the method
Old Jul 7, 10, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by rc408 View Post
Any guesses as to what USPS will do when they deliver my box to UPS? I've been having UPS hold all deliveries instead of shipping to my home and my last order is set to the UPS address. I'll miss my new friends over at Brown.
Well my coins were shipped UPS so I guess we won't know what happens when USPS meets Brown.
Old Jul 7, 10, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Est. shipping date for Sacajawea dollars has slipped to 7/14.

Only a gubmint agency could do business this way:

On 6/30 I placed an order for other stuff, not $1 coins, roughly $270 total. The order was immediately placed on hold. This was the first order to be shipped to my PO box.

On 7/5 I placed my next $1000 order of $1 coins. That order was also placed on hold. This order is also destined for my PO box.

On 7/6 the hold was released on the $1 coin order. It is now "in process".

Yesterday (7/6) I received a letter from the US Mint informing me that due to the size of the 6/30 order, I have to fill out & sign a form verifying the amount, billing address & shipping address and return it within 10 business days of the date (7/2) on the letter. Otherwise they will conclude that I no longer want the order and will cancel it.

Yet the $1 coin order, almost 4X the amount & placed 5 days later, must be small enough to ship without such idiotic verification? Also, my understanding is that if a merchant has a confirmation code from Visa, they are protected from fraudulent transactions. Such verification should be totally unnecessary.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've circulated 939 $1 coins in the last week: $360 FlexPerks bill, $345 purchase of used books from individual, $131 RV trailer loan payment, $3 parking meter @ the MN Historical Society.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 7, 10 at 12:41 pm
Old Jul 8, 10, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Are ALL of these for Mr. Pickles??

http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20
Old Jul 8, 10, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by miller4isu View Post
Nice pic, but the article doesn't seem to have been proofread:

The Mint presses 750 coins a minute, and these days is producing 20 million coins a day, though its full capacity is higher, as much as 50 million coins daily.
Did they bother to multiply that out? 750 per minute is 1,080,000 in 24 hours, assuming they work 24 hours per day even. So I'm not clear at all on how they produce 20 million per day. Maybe they meant per "second?"
Old Jul 8, 10, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Nice pic, but the article doesn't seem to have been proofread:

Did they bother to multiply that out? 750 per minute is 1,080,000 in 24 hours, assuming they work 24 hours per day even. So I'm not clear at all on how they produce 20 million per day. Maybe they meant per "second?"
Probably should have said each minting MACHINE produces 750 per minute.
Old Jul 8, 10, 11:59 am

Programs: SPG, UA, BA, AA, Hawaiian, Cont.
This may have been covered and I just missed it at a quick glance...

How does the Back order affect the $1000/10Days... I'm just > 10 days from my last order, which is on back order until next week (supposedly). Can I/Should I order the next $1000, or should I wait until these are all delivered before I place a new order at risk of getting some all of them cancelled for buying too many?

SW2

Search this Thread
Search Engine: