Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
I was planning to get a Continental Mastercard and just order a boatload of these as I have a legitimate promotion for my business I can use to help circulate them.

Ive read several comments about new cards/accounts having problems...

is this something I will need to address with the CO Mastercard before I can spend $25k or so in just coins?

Thanks!

In case anyone is wondering I want to use the CO card for points for first class tickets and status...if you have a better suggestion please feel free to let me know!
I believe you'll need to do some paperwork with the MINT to go outside the limits for any orders but if you have the business proposition, it'd be fine. The credit card company may question it but again, you have a business purpose so should be okay.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I believe you'll need to do some paperwork with the MINT to go outside the limits for any orders but if you have the business proposition, it'd be fine. The credit card company may question it but again, you have a business purpose so should be okay.
Thanks for the quick response, you better believe if the promotion isnt the best they will end up at my bank. my bank has no problem taking them back though.

anyone else please feel free to share your thoughts.

thanks again!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
Thanks for the quick response, you better believe if the promotion isnt the best they will end up at my bank. my bank has no problem taking them back though.

anyone else please feel free to share your thoughts.

thanks again!
The Continental MC is issued by Chase. There have been reports that Chase has closed accounts where the card was used for coins. You need to make sure that you are using the card for a lot more than just coins.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I'm well aware that the Fed & the Mint are two distinct entities. However, the objective of the Circulating $1 Coins program is not to make X number of of coins per year but to get them in circulation so that a 3rd distinct entitiy (the U.S. Bureau of Engraving) can save billions by ceasing to print $1 bills. Parking them in the Fed does not get them in circulation.
OK, some would argue that once they leave the mint they're in circulation by definition. If they sit unused in a coin collection or my closet, they're also in circulation.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm well aware that the Fed & the Mint are two distinct entities. However, the objective of the Circulating $1 Coins program is not to make X number of of coins per year but to get them in circulation so that a 3rd distinct entitiy (the U.S. Bureau of Engraving) can save billions by ceasing to print $1 bills. Parking them in the Fed does not get them in circulation.
They are not going to achieve this goal if the circulation is defined by being widely used by the Public UNLESS the Congress passes a legislation to STOP the circulation of $1 bill by a fixed date in the future.

No matter any other mechanisms they tried would not achieve this goal despite the ever-so-slowly increased number of $1 coins used by the Public until the $1 bill is phrased out by LAW.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
deleted

Last edited by cordelli; Dec 23, 2010 at 2:11 pm
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Despite his attempt to pin the blame on "Pat", it appears that mrpickles deserves a good share of it for documenting the scheme so well on-line:
As far as I know, I am the only "Pat" on this thread and I was not involved in the WSJ article or the Star Mega DO. Whoever the blabber at the Star Mega DO was, it wasn't me !!!

I am curious who this other Pat is however...
...feel free to PM me.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Personally, I like the $1 coins better than bills. I use a credit card for everything that will take them. My only usual exceptions are toll roads, tips (mostly in the CO clubs) or my local 'ma kettle' pizza shop where I can get lunch for $4. I think it's much easier to carry around a roll of $25 in my bag than it is to carry a wad of singles or always ask places for singles.

Originally Posted by cordelli
I do find it pretty funny that on their page about the coins the mint has bolded

The immediate bank deposit of $1 Coins ordered through this Program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the Program.
As I've asked in the past: what constitutes "immediate bank deposit"? If they sit in my car for 12 hours, is that no longer immediate?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
The whole idea of having individual consumers direct-buy coins to "get them into circulation" is absurd. The only way to get a type of currency to truly circulate like the mint wants is to convince retailers to give them as change.

I can take coins to Walmart, buy money orders to pay my rent, and I suppose that no one could question that I've circulated them. But Walmart is then just going to deposit them!!

Circulation really means that currency is used repeatedly between each pass through the bank, and no matter how we use the coins that isn't going to happen. Only retailers can make it happen.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by PatMike
I am curious who this other Pat is however...
...feel free to PM me.
I'm pretty sure I know who "Pat" is, but I'm not going to post it or PM anyone.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
I'm pretty sure I know who "Pat" is, but I'm not going to post it or PM anyone.
It's not me.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:07 pm

Parking them in the Fed does not get them in circulation.
none of us is "parking" them at the fed, which certainly isn't vacuuming them up. it's who's sending them to the fed who is causing the problem.

Originally Posted by maracle
Circulation really means that currency is used repeatedly between each pass through the bank, and no matter how we use the coins that isn't going to happen. Only retailers can make it happen.
this highlights both the problem and the reason that retailers really aren't the solution. at the end of each day, retailers deposit most of their cash (it's unwise and unsafe to keep too much in the store). so it comes back to the banks being unwilling to redistribute the coins they receive.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:06 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Has anyone had any luck with the Discover Secure Online Number? I'm thinking it might work to get a new credit card for every transaction, but I'm concerned that the # might not be valid if they "hold" the purchase for a few days before running it when the coins ship.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 4:49 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Once the coins are shipped to us they are in circulation and will never be uncirculated again, no matter what we do with them.

Don't kid your self into thinking that using a few here and there will make any differance at all. As soon as the fed has too many on hand they will require the banks to use them. As long as they make them I am all to happy to help in the "circulation".
Old Jun 25, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
To those of you who have used the e-gift certificates from the Mint....

Since the max certificate is $200, I assume that you can combine multiple certificates when ordering? So, could I buy 5 of them, and then use all 5 codes when checking out (or on the phone as it seems is necessary)?

I'm looking into this option because (as I detailed in a post in this thread sometime in March) AMEX is threatening to cancel my SPG card if I buy any more dollar coins from the Mint.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me! Thanks a lot!!

-Brian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.