Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 19, 10, 3:53 pm
  #8896  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 314
Originally Posted by happy2traveler202 View Post
How are the 10 days counted? If I order, for ex, on 6/14, can I order on 6/24 or should I wait until 6/25? On another note, I'm all for $1 and $2 coins, clearly distinguishable, and simply not printing anymore $1 and $2 bills. No downside and it will hasten the adoption of the $1 coin.
U can order on 6/24. Worked for me just fine.
friedice is offline  
Old Jun 19, 10, 8:07 pm
  #8897  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Madison, WI, USA
Posts: 14,138
Originally Posted by MikeMpls View Post
People will make the transition when/if they have to make it.

When I lived in Norway in 1960, we had coins as small as 1 øre (approx. 1/7 of a US cent), and they were actually useful. I could get ice cream or soda for 5 øre. A coke today might run upwards of 3 kroner (300 øre).

The smaller coins & bills are long gone. Today coins range from 25 øre to 20 kroner ($3-4).
I had to laugh at the bolded above. A 500ml coke from a kiosk will cost 20 Kr minimum (usually more), and around 15-18 at the grocery store unless you buy a multi-pack.

I've only seen 50 øre coins or larger. I don't think smaller coins are still circulating.
PaulMSN is offline  
Old Jun 19, 10, 10:38 pm
  #8898  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CMH
Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Posts: 198
Just looking for some ideas about what you all tell people when they ask from you where did u get so much coins from? I am almost running out of ideas.
Delta2010 is offline  
Old Jun 19, 10, 10:49 pm
  #8899  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,029
Originally Posted by Delta2010 View Post
Just looking for some ideas about what you all tell people when they ask from you where did u get so much coins from? I am almost running out of ideas.
Why not just tell them you got them from the mint? That's what I do.
beckoa is offline  
Old Jun 19, 10, 11:23 pm
  #8900  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: TPA
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 179
Has anyone ever been able to use an E-gift certificate with a direct ship order??

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a $50 e-gift certificate because I had a gift card that I had to burn and didn't want to use it on household stuff. I was able to buy the e-gift certificate just fine, but when I went to use it with a coin purchase, the system told me that the gift certificate number was "not in their database." I came across one prior message in this thread where someone had a problem, but I didn't see any others. Has anyone else been able to use an e-gift certificate with their order?

I'm going to call tomorrow to find out what's up, but this is kind of perturbing, considering that I called the mint *before* I purchased the e-gift certificate and was assured by the customer service rep that I could use it with a direct ship order.
JB5150 is offline  
Old Jun 20, 10, 5:03 am
  #8901  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Singapore
Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
Posts: 2,724
Originally Posted by Delta2010 View Post
Just looking for some ideas about what you all tell people when they ask from you where did u get so much coins from? I am almost running out of ideas.
I find making up stories is part of the fun. My latest is that my parents hate me and they are sending me my inheritance early, but all in dollar coins and $1,000 at a time.
User Name is offline  
Old Jun 20, 10, 7:20 am
  #8902  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: BOS
Programs: All, but no status!
Posts: 753
Originally Posted by Delta2010 View Post
Just looking for some ideas about what you all tell people when they ask from you where did u get so much coins from? I am almost running out of ideas.
I say "From The Mint."
pawtim is offline  
Old Jun 20, 10, 8:18 am
  #8903  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Posts: 25,247
Originally Posted by deant View Post
If they were presidents and you had ordered them before, then you may have hit the max for that specific president.
What are the maximums?
MikeMpls is offline  
Old Jun 20, 10, 8:43 am
  #8904  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 164
$500 per president (2 boxes)

Last edited by happy2traveler202; Jun 20, 10 at 9:47 am
happy2traveler202 is offline  
Old Jun 20, 10, 9:44 am
  #8905  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: CA
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 2,879
Originally Posted by happy2traveler202 View Post
$500 per president (2 rolls)
Actually, $500 is 2 boxes (2 roles is $50)
deant is offline  
Old Jun 20, 10, 3:43 pm
  #8906  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Posts: 25,247
And if the your initial order is for 3-4 boxes of the same coins? They don't seem to restrict up front how many you can order; their only stated limit is 4 boxes / 10 days.

I suppose orders for the American Indian Native American coins are similarly limited, given that their long-term objective is to get the Sacagawea dollars circulating.

Originally Posted by PaulMSN View Post
I had to laugh at the bolded above. A 500ml coke from a kiosk will cost 20 Kr minimum (usually more), and around 15-18 at the grocery store unless you buy a multi-pack.

I've only seen 50 øre coins or larger. I don't think smaller coins are still circulating.
I was thinking $3, typed NOK 3. At a restaurant in Oslo in 2004 my credit card was relieved of NOK 35 per refill. That was 5-7 miles earned per refill (just trying to tie it to theme of this forum ).

You're probably right about the 50 øre lower limit for coinage. By that example we could get rid of our nickels as well.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jun 20, 10 at 3:55 pm
MikeMpls is offline  
Old Jun 20, 10, 7:14 pm
  #8907  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Posts: 2,956
I tried this awhile back & each time ran into the same issue as you described (so much for my belief that they would promptly fix this web glitch, as they promised )

Each time, I had to call & jump, through some hoops & endure long hold times while they consulted with managers, etc but eventually I was able to use all the USMint ecerts I purchased on $1 coins. ^


Originally Posted by JB5150 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a $50 e-gift certificate because I had a gift card that I had to burn and didn't want to use it on household stuff. I was able to buy the e-gift certificate just fine, but when I went to use it with a coin purchase, the system told me that the gift certificate number was "not in their database." I came across one prior message in this thread where someone had a problem, but I didn't see any others. Has anyone else been able to use an e-gift certificate with their order?

I'm going to call tomorrow to find out what's up, but this is kind of perturbing, considering that I called the mint *before* I purchased the e-gift certificate and was assured by the customer service rep that I could use it with a direct ship order.
bk3day is offline  
Old Jun 20, 10, 9:41 pm
  #8908  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: TPA
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by bk3day View Post
I tried this awhile back & each time ran into the same issue as you described (so much for my belief that they would promptly fix this web glitch, as they promised )

Each time, I had to call & jump, through some hoops & endure long hold times while they consulted with managers, etc but eventually I was able to use all the USMint ecerts I purchased on $1 coins. ^
Yup, when I called to mention the error, the phone rep said I could place the order over the phone, which I did. No hoop jumping, though....it was actually a pretty uneventful call. Web status says order is currently "on hold."
JB5150 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 10, 5:28 am
  #8909  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by deant View Post
Couple of questions.
1. Were the orders for NAs or Presidents? If they were presidents, have you ordered those presidents before? If they were presidents and you had ordered them before, then you may have hit the max for that specific president.
2. Or were the orders after the institution of the $1K every 10 day restriction?

Both or either. Yes Ive ordered before, but they didnt cancel me before. Something different has happened. Furthermore, Ive had some orders cancelled before, but lately been cancelling all of them. I even had different CC, some of which I never used before, and still getting cancelled.
flyertm is offline  
Old Jun 21, 10, 9:40 am
  #8910  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 21
I was enjoying this for almost a year now but I just relocated from a town with 28 of my bank branches to one that only has 1. I guess I am going to need to open some more bank accounts.
ucrider is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: