Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by nwa330
Just spoke with the Mint. My 5th order was declined by wood. The code was she reference was "excessive limit". I am no where near my credit limit so one can only conclude they don't want my business anymore. Back to plan B
The operators at the mint have no clue. They say that your card is rejecting the transaction. If you check with the card they'll never have gotten a transaction. Excessive Limit or "velocity excessive amount" is actually mintspeak for we don't trust you.

This denial is from the mint but the operators don't know their own system well enough to know that.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
has anyone been successful in buying more than $1000 in coins in one order? If so could you share how many and which coin?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psyflyer
has anyone been successful in buying more than $1000 in coins in one order? If so could you share how many and which coin?
I haven't - and now I just had a 4-day later order get canceled. So it seems they're serious. I'll wait the full 10 days and try again.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Well, I have 2 $1000 order that show shipped today, placed on Monday.

UPS website shows one order is 21.10 lb and the other is 14.4 lb only!

So one is slightly over and one is way under. each order is 2 boxes each for 2 presidents, placed thru 2 different credit cards, same billing address and same shipping address.

I am 100% sure the 14.4 lb package is short. I am not sure if the 21.10lb has extra.

Records from months ago, a $500 shipment weight 9.2 lb, a $1250 shipment weight 24.1lb which is in line with the 23.6 lb reported here. In Dec 09, an order of $750 weighed 14.8lb. Therefore the 14.4lb is definitely short $250 for a $1000 order.

I placed a call to the Mint, asked the CSR to put a notation of this weight issue and the discrepancy is reported BEFORE the package is received, based on the info shown on UPS site. The Mint CSR reluctantly agreed to put a notation in the order file that we called about the weight being only 14.4 lb for the $1000 coins but insisted the weight is just being put there and not a matter of importance... She said that I dont need to open the box in front of the UPS guy, but to report to the Mint if the box is indeed short and the Mint will then "deal" with it...

This would be our first experience of a package being shorted of the quantity if that happens.

Anybody has received shorted shipment(s) before, please chime in your experiences. I really appreciated how long the process it takes to resolve this.
I think you overdid the worrying here. I've noticed the weight that UPS reports fluctuates all over the place and I always order 500 at a time. I wouldn't worry about it until you see the package. If you are short, don't open any of the other boxes as the Mint will probably want you to ship the entire shipment BACK to them! That's what they wanted me to do when one of my boxes was mangled by UPS and I was short 2 rolls of coins.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
I think you overdid the worrying here. I've noticed the weight that UPS reports fluctuates all over the place and I always order 500 at a time. I wouldn't worry about it until you see the package. If you are short, don't open any of the other boxes as the Mint will probably want you to ship the entire shipment BACK to them! That's what they wanted me to do when one of my boxes was mangled by UPS and I was short 2 rolls of coins.
You mean dont open the small boxes in the package, right?

In other words, when I open the big package, if there are only 3 boxes inside instead of 4 (for $1000), dont open the 3 small boxes?

The shortage of weight is not 2 rolls, it looks very much like $250, a small box.

I had several $750 worth orders last year - they all weighed 14xx lb. The several $1000 worth orders all weighed 19.2lb, fwiw.

Looking back at the records for 2009, all the weight shown on the UPS page seem accurate in our orders except one occasion - the weight was way over on one package, but it was an order that split into 2 boxes and it seemed that the total weight of 2 boxes was shown on one box, and the other lighter box had a correct weight on.

Other than that, I did not find any meaningful discrepancy.

We will see what would be inside the package if they deliver tomorrow morning. Otherwise, the suspense will last till Monday!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by Timpala
The operators at the mint have no clue. They say that your card is rejecting the transaction. If you check with the card they'll never have gotten a transaction. Excessive Limit or "velocity excessive amount" is actually mintspeak for we don't trust you.

This denial is from the mint but the operators don't know their own system well enough to know that.
I see we got a insider on the board. What department do you work in?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
My boxes all weigh 33 pounds

I like being fat sometimes!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:04 pm
Suspended

By what delivery method do $750 orders come by?

All of my $250's have been Fed Ex to USPS
All of my $500's are UPS
And all the $1,000 and greater are USPS

The $250's seem to have th worst delivery times, the larger the best.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:12 pm

The US $1 coin has a design flaw - it looks too much like a quarter, and it is too heavy. Both the Canadian coins and the Euro coins are easily distinguished among different denominations as well as lighter than the US $1 coin. Who was in charge for this project either has no thought out well on this, or deliberately made it this way with some agenda.
I find the same thing to be true about dimes and pennies--they are just too much alike. Only differences are size, color, and one has a milled edge. I'm always having to go over to my blind neighbor to help me tell them apart.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Timpala

I had similar experience. Order $1K on 6/7 rec'vd 6/10. Reordered another $1K on 6/10 still on hold through 6/16. So I called the mint to inquire and was told CC declined transaction, I gave them a different card. Then called CC to inquire about declined charge and was told that none had occured. Also, I don't believe that I ever saw my credit line drop which leads me to believe the card was never authorized. It's possible I fat-fingered the CC number on the order but I think more likely that this is related to the new order limits.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I received my $500 order today, six days after I placed it. That's reasonable. Now I'll be plugging them into vending machines and paying with them at restaurants for a while.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:21 am

You mean dont open the small boxes in the package, right?

In other words, when I open the big package, if there are only 3 boxes inside instead of 4 (for $1000), dont open the 3 small boxes?

The shortage of weight is not 2 rolls, it looks very much like $250, a small box.

I had several $750 worth orders last year - they all weighed 14xx lb. The several $1000 worth orders all weighed 19.2lb, fwiw.

Looking back at the records for 2009, all the weight shown on the UPS page seem accurate in our orders except one occasion - the weight was way over on one package, but it was an order that split into 2 boxes and it seemed that the total weight of 2 boxes was shown on one box, and the other lighter box had a correct weight on.

Other than that, I did not find any meaningful discrepancy.

We will see what would be inside the package if they deliver tomorrow morning. Otherwise, the suspense will last till Monday!
Yes I meant don't open any of the smaller boxes with the coins in them, in case you need to send them back.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I have 2 $1000 order that show shipped today, placed on Monday.

UPS website shows one order is 21.10 lb and the other is 14.4 lb only!
<<snip>>

I placed a call to the Mint, asked the CSR to put a notation of this weight issue and the discrepancy is reported BEFORE the package is received, based on the info shown on UPS site. The Mint CSR reluctantly agreed to put a notation in the order file that we called about the weight being only 14.4 lb for the $1000 coins but insisted the weight is just being put there and not a matter of importance... She said that I dont need to open the box in front of the UPS guy, but to report to the Mint if the box is indeed short and the Mint will then "deal" with it...
Originally Posted by jlgrandam
UPDATE:

The packages arrived. Sure enough, the 14xxlb package has only 3 small boxes in it - missing 1 $250 box of James Madison.

Just finished phone call with the Mint. CSR instructed to print out the claim form online, fill it out and either mail it or fax it back to The Mint for processing. I dont need to send back the remaining contents in the package as the package arrived in good shape.

I inquired whether the previous CSR named Nicole has put in any notation as she promised when we called in yesterday to report the low weight of the package. This CSR named Shelly said there is noting from Nicole but the record showed Nicole fielded the call. Shelly said she knows who Nicole is. I inquired where I can send in complaint against Nicole - Shelly said I can detail it in the claim form. Shelly assured me a notation is put in the file upon this call.

Personally I feel the bad apple among CSRs should be singled out and I would do as Shelly suggested.

Hopefully this would not take 6 to 8 weeks to resolve as mentioned on the form!
Old Jun 18, 2010, 9:57 am

I had this problem before, actualy 2 seperate times. 1st time I had 2 rolls missing, second time I had a small box missing ($250) from a shipment. If you talk to CSR, take their name down, fill out the form, write out what happened and specify which CSR you talked with the instructions you received -- you should get your refund at a reasonable time. I would recommend not to pay that CC bill at least that amount, in case you need to dispute it with them.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PedroNY
I had this problem before, actualy 2 seperate times. 1st time I had 2 rolls missing, second time I had a small box missing ($250) from a shipment. If you talk to CSR, take their name down, fill out the form, write out what happened and specify which CSR you talked with the instructions you received -- you should get your refund at a reasonable time. I would recommend not to pay that CC bill at least that amount, in case you need to dispute it with them.
Thanks for input.

Doing the claim form now. The CSR gave me a fax number to send it in. I would follow up with a hard copy by mail also.

The CC statement is not until July 16, so hopefully by the time the issue is resolved one way or another.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.