Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:59 am

My experience has been that most people take them, but I've had a few instances where people look at them as though they're a foreign currency and they're not sure if they can accept them. This happened recently at a restaurant where I included 6 of them with some bills. I hate using them for tips because often the look I get suggests they think they're quarters.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; WN A-List; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; National EE
I haven't experienced anyone refusing to take the coins, although I also see them look at the coins funny sometime. I use them around town for all of my purchases under $10. I've quickly built up the reputation at the coffee shops and fast food restaurants around the neighborhood as "the coin guy"!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by happy2traveler202
4 box limit ($250 per box) each 10 days = $1000
Thanks happy2traveler202. And does it matter which $1 coin you buy? I read earlier that its best to alternate amongst presidents and the native american ones.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:15 am

I'm not sure what the new rules are with the $1000 every 10 days. It used to be you could only order 2 of each President and 50 rolls of the Native American. I don't know if those limits have been lifted given the new $1000 limit. My understanding is by law they have to get the Native American coins into circulation which was why the limits were higher on those.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, and a mug on the wall at the local brewpub
I'm not sure what the new rules are with the $1000 every 10 days. It used to be you could only order 2 of each President and 50 rolls of the Native American. I don't know if those limits have been lifted given the new $1000 limit. My understanding is by law they have to get the Native American coins into circulation which was why the limits were higher on those.
I just placed an order for 4 Washingtons, and 2 of them got cancelled. So the 2 of each limit seems to still be in place.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:42 am

It will be interesting if they also enforce the 50 box limit on the Native Americans--let you order $1000 every 10 days and cut you off when you reach 50 boxes.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by mnmag
You would most likely get an e-mail the next day -- if they decide to cancel your order.
If thats the case, I can confirm that this 10 day rule applies to the day you placed the order. I had placed an order about 11 days ago and the coins were just shipped yesterday with arrival today. I placed another order yesterday and my CC credit line got a hit almost instantly. The mint order status shows "In Stock and Reserved". Unless they decide to cancel the order after hitting my credit line, I expect this order to fulfill soon.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Well...
I feel like I'm back to the old charter one days. zzzzzz..... We'll see how big a PITA this turns into.

So it's 2 sets of each President?
And up to how many NAs?
4X250=1000
And I need to be keeping track of what have (order) and what I'm still missing (eligible to order), right?
No more frequently than every 10 days counting from the order date or some other date.
And we all agree with our "click" not to deposit in our banks immediately and we should try and help our government get these coins into circulation.

And DON'T MENTION CREDIT CARDS that actually work! (Because that could lead to the end of that card working) Regrettably, this point seems to be lost on most and blatantly ignored by many silly posters.

Am I missing anything major other than the count on the NA's?

Thanks,

Scho
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:20 pm

Okay get this... I order my first order of coins from the Mint of over $3,000, they run my card for authorization and get it. Coins are on backorder and due to ship any day. Three days after the authorization, my cc is put on hold due to a financial review (yesterday). Any charges that come through will be declined until the review is done.

Today, the Mint emails me and sends a tracking number for the coins which were shipped today overnight. UPS shows it in their system but there is no further info on when it will arrive. Just says to check back. I am not sure if UPS actually has it in hand or if they just received the order to pick it up from the Mint.

I know the Mint didn't run my card because it would have been declined. I suppose tomorrow they will run it and then what.....

When I talked to the Mint yesterday and told them that my card was frozen, they told me to just let the process go through and if it gets declined they would run it again a day later or so. They didn't say that they would ship it without payment, I just assumed they would wait until they got the payment first.

Has this every happened to YOU? Anyone?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has happened before, and, however they do it, the Mint always makes sure they get paid.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 5:51 am

I've read from other sites that often the mint charge does not get put through until a few days after people have actually received the coins. Not sure why they don't put it through before shipping.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 5:59 am

Programs: Several dozen
The answer of course is that the government believes people should simply be able to spend other people's money. I'm surprized they even later bill us for spending taxpayer dollars. Why should citizens have to deal with debt when our government does not?

I've read from other sites that often the mint charge does not get put through until a few days after people have actually received the coins. Not sure why they don't put it through before shipping.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:03 am

If you don't unroll them, I find places are much more likely to take them and you won't be holding up the line. For example, if my grocery store bill is $100, I just hand over 4 rolls.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
My experience has been that most people take them, but I've had a few instances where people look at them as though they're a foreign currency and they're not sure if they can accept them. This happened recently at a restaurant where I included 6 of them with some bills. I hate using them for tips because often the look I get suggests they think they're quarters.
I've never had anyone refuse them, but I generally get either a "huh?" reaction, or a "cool!" reaction. I did get the "can we take these?" response once.

Re: tips, I love using them for tips. On one occassion, I had a passing waitress (not ours) get really excited and tell our waitress how lucky she was when she saw the stack of gold dollars.

Andyandy
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Sometimes, months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.