Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by tzvika01
on my card i maxed it out by buying 12,500 worth so cant buy anymore. and on my wifes card i accidently went over credit card limit so they cancelled the order ( changed the billing address of hers to a friends address so wouldnt have the same as mine) .I called the mup and said the account is blocked and cant pay with credit card can only pay with a wire transfer. so how can i fix this
Is AMEX blocking all transactions with the card or just those from the US Mint? Have you spoken to a mgr? Have you paid down the balance? I would start by paying down the balance and then calling a mgr. and asking why you can't make purchases if you are no longer over the limie. Maybe you should have her call and tell them if it can't be fixed that she will cancel her card? Maybe they will give bonus point for not cancelling and be able to fix it.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:48 pm

its not amex that is blocking it is the mint.

i paid down the limit and called the mint and they put me through with headquarters and they said since the order was cancelled bec the card is new they wont let me reorder . bec they are not there to build up your credit and are afraid of you buying them and just depositing it.

so what can i do
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:53 pm

Oh GREAT! My AMEX SPG card is new. I have had it just over a week. I ordered $3,000 worth of coins and got an email today saying that it is backordered. I sure hope they don't cancel mine.

Do you mind me asking how new the card was that you used and how much you tried to buy from the US Mint and how long ago you placed your order?

Has anyone else had this problem? Do you usually have to have the card for a while before you can start purchasing coins?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:56 pm

You said, "What can I do?" You might have to just use a different cc. If you really want to build up your points on SPG, maybe you will just have to use that as your main spending card. Or maybe you can try to add a new cardmember to your account and use that card.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:57 pm

it is 2 months old and it all depends on your credit limit. mine was only 2,000 and placed a 2,000 order so they cancelled it i did get 1,000 orders before hand. should i just say my card got lost and get a new number? and should i change the billing address to a different place?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:55 pm

has anybody have sucess with ordering more coins once you order the max?

new address? get a new credit card number ? new user account?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:38 pm

New Restrictions

Just got off the phone with US Mint Rep. Was told that effective today they have a new policy on orders. Then I looked on the site and there it was:

There is a 4-box $1 Coin limit for every 10-day period on any and all $1 Coin orders. Beyond that your credit card will not be authorized. If you need quantities greater than this, please send an e-mail before placing your order to [email protected] explain why your order should be exempted from the limit.

As told by a rep. a person would not be even able to make $1000 orders on different credit cards if they're within 10 days of each other. Also the limit applies to a physical address, so no two people at the same address will be able to make orders within 10 days of each other as well.

One the other hand cumulative household limit seems to be gone.

Last edited by friedice; Jun 4, 2010 at 12:54 pm
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by friedice
Just got off the phone with US Mint Rep. Was told that effective today they have a new policy on orders. Then I looked on the site and there it was:

There is a 4-box $1 Coin limit for every 10-day period on any and all $1 Coin orders. Beyond that your credit card will not be authorized. If you need quantities greater than this, please send an e-mail before placing your order to [email protected] explain why your order should be exempted from the limit.

As told by a rep. a person would not be even able to make $1000 orders on different credit cards if they're within 10 days of each other. Also the limit applies to a physical address, so no two people at the same address will be able to make orders within 10 days of each other as well.

Swell

So it would appear they're using address as the limiting factor vs credit card? Is that correct?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:16 pm
Original Member

I laughed when I read this, since this is almost exactly the rate of coin purchases I have been allowed during 2010. They have almost all been John Adams. Everything else has been cancelled. Hopefully it is 10 days after the order date, not the approval (or worse) the shipping date.

I have had no luck with using new or replacement credit cards to alternative shipping addresses. They play psych games, too. I will set up a brand Mint account using a computer IP that I have never placed an order from, a brand new e-mail address, an alternative address, etc. and it will be cancelled and the cancellation appears in my long-standing Mint account. I guess they are saying "We know who you are." Glad other people had more luck than me in getting amounts greater than $2,000 - $3,000 a month.

Under these rules, a diligent purchaser can get about $36,000 a year if the 10 days is based on order date. Not bad, really. I still love the Mint,
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Swell

So it would appear they're using address as the limiting factor vs credit card? Is that correct?
I think all the restrictions are mutually inclusive.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

That's not too bad.... As other posters mentioned back when the Mint implemented the household limit, the Mint would somehow need to find a way to sell the coins and still satisfy the PR image. Putting a household limit just doesn't help them sell the coins. By now, I bet they have piled up a good amount of inventory and they need to find a way to get them out. Otherwise, they won't be able to brag about the "great success" again in their annual report like last year. In fact, their annual report could show a decline in coin sales that they don't want.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Also, all coins are showing to be "In Stock". Till last night, most of the presidents were backordered until 06/18/2010. Wow! Things keep changing with the Mint.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, FYI, they changed the "how did you hear about us" pop up list.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: Any and all of 'em
Where are you seeing this?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:15 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Izzy24
Where are you seeing this?
When I click on the specific coin under the $1 Coin Direct Ship, I see it.

The How Did You Hear About Us has Printed Flyer on it.

For a moment I thought it said Flyertalk.

It would be funny in the choices were:

Flyertalk
Fatwallet
SlickDeals
That Wall Street Journal Article
Other

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.