Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old May 13, 10, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Delta2010 View Post
Today, for the first time, a local Chase branch refused to accept the coins. I usually deposit only in 100 or 250 coins. Today I took 250 coins to this Chase branch to pay my CC bill. As soon as the cashier saw coins, she was like "Oh $ coins, wait a minute" and went up to get her manager. I knew something is wrong. The manager came after 2-3 minutes with another bank employee and politely told me that they cannot accept coins as they are a small branch and donot have space to store these coins. She instead asked me to go to their head branch in our area. I politely said okay and left from there. This is first time any bank has turned me turn so I am feeling a little embarassed/ guilty.I donot think I will take these coins even to their head branch either. Just got back home and thought of sharing my disappointment with my buddies here.
You were very considerate, no reason to be embarrassed or anything.

Did you happen to tell her it was to pay the bill, not for deposit?
Old May 13, 10, 9:08 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Only one teller...

Originally Posted by Delta2010 View Post
Today, for the first time, a local Chase branch refused to accept the coins. I usually deposit only in 100 or 250 coins. Today I took 250 coins to this Chase branch to pay my CC bill. As soon as the cashier saw coins, she was like "Oh $ coins, wait a minute" and went up to get her manager. I knew something is wrong. The manager came after 2-3 minutes with another bank employee and politely told me that they cannot accept coins as they are a small branch and donot have space to store these coins. She instead asked me to go to their head branch in our area. I politely said okay and left from there. This is first time any bank has turned me turn so I am feeling a little embarassed/ guilty.I donot think I will take these coins even to their head branch either. Just got back home and thought of sharing my disappointment with my buddies here.
I have visited over 75 different bank branches , and seen over 100 tellers since I started doing this this a year and a half ago. Only one teller, at one branch refused to accept my coins. Just smile and move on.
Well then there was that time the teller called the manager over , to tell me my account was being closed for "unusual activity". I probably had that one coming. My 3 other banking relationships are holding up just fine. But, I don't take my banks for granted any more. I try to mix in some real world banking , with each of my remaining accounts.
Old May 13, 10, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by beachmiles View Post
I have visited over 75 different bank branches , and seen over 100 tellers since I started doing this this a year and a half ago. Only one teller, at one branch refused to accept my coins. Just smile and move on.
Well then there was that time the teller called the manager over , to tell me my account was being closed for "unusual activity". I probably had that one coming. My 3 other banking relationships are holding up just fine. But, I don't take my banks for granted any more. I try to mix in some real world banking , with each of my remaining accounts.
Cool Thanks. I will count this as one off incident and will avoid this branch in future. I have accounts with 2 other banks (with multiple branches locally) besides Chase and will give them a try for sometime.

To the earlier poster - Yes, I told her that it was for paying the CC bill but I told her this initially. When she refused to accept the coins, I didnot insist and moved on.
Old May 13, 10, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I usually make a deposit of coins (mostly $1000) along with a minor rebate check so it is $1004.95 or so. I have not had any problems when doing this. The younger lady tellers are usually really friendly, the guys are always wondering what I am doing, and it is the old krone tellers that are crabby ("I just got done sending those things out on the truck and now more") from a branch I had not been to before......

JudyJFLA
Now back in Montana and a new address for those 2010 NA's!!!
Old May 14, 10, 8:16 am

Programs: Several dozen
Mintworthiness

So if I rent a room up there with you in the Big Sky Country is it Mintworthy?

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA View Post

JudyJFLA
Old May 14, 10, 9:57 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA View Post
JudyJFLA
Nooo! Now they know where you live, are going to track you down...and cancel all your present and future orders!
Old May 15, 10, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PedroNY View Post
Add another authorized user to your card, you will have great success with the same CC number.

Best,

PedroNY
Ah, brilliant! I was shut down from ordering earlier this year for both mine & my hubby's accounts. But I recently ordered an authorized user CC for my 17yo, just so she could buy gas, or stop at the grocery store for me, etc. Who knew it would have other benefits...
Old May 16, 10, 1:27 am

The mint site says that the order's shipping address and the cc billing address need to be the same. Do they actually check to verify this? Would like to use another family member's address (in the same town) for the wife's FF account, to avoid the household limit at my home address. Anyone have any luck shipping to a different address than what is listed on your cc billing?
Old May 16, 10, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by frankiwa View Post
The mint site says that the order's shipping address and the cc billing address need to be the same. Do they actually check to verify this? Would like to use another family member's address (in the same town) for the wife's FF account, to avoid the household limit at my home address. Anyone have any luck shipping to a different address than what is listed on your cc billing?
You can call and have addresses attached to your credit card.
I've had no problem using a PO Box.
Old May 17, 10, 5:32 am

I have them shipped to a family member's PO box. No problems at all, except I have to wait in line at the post office due to the signature requirement. Small price to pay so I don't have coins either sitting on my porch or having to coordinate having someone home on the date the coins are due to arrive.
Old May 17, 10, 7:00 am

So this coin deal is alive and well. Would like to hear some ideas how to get started with this. Is there anyone ordering 12500 at a time and depositing them all at once. How does the bank react and do you have some story for them? Thanks. I look foward to getting some prez coins too!!
Indra
Old May 17, 10, 7:21 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Please take some time to read more pages of this thread and the sticky thread in this forum, and you will get the information.
Please DO NOT deposit 12500 at once if you do not have a long-term established relationship with the bank that you would like to deposit the coins to. Otherwise you would kill this deal.

The general suggestion for a beginner is to make deposit of $500 each time.

Originally Posted by HareKrishnaHareKrishna View Post
So this coin deal is alive and well. Would like to hear some ideas how to get started with this. Is there anyone ordering 12500 at a time and depositing them all at once. How does the bank react and do you have some story for them? Thanks. I look foward to getting some prez coins too!!
Indra

Last edited by Corylopsis; May 17, 10 at 10:53 am
Old May 17, 10, 7:26 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Corylopsis View Post
Please take some time to read more pages of this thread and the stinky thread in this forum, and you will get the information.
Please DO NOT deposit 12500 at once if you do not have a long-term established relationship with the bank that you would like to deposit the coins to. Otherwise you would kill this deal.

The general suggestion for a beginner is to make deposit of $500 each time.
+1, and we encourage following the guideline when placing an order:

"The immediate bank deposit of $1 Coins ordered through this Program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the Program."
Old May 17, 10, 9:10 am

I usually ship directly to UPS to avoid having the poor UPS driver lugging boxes to our door when we are not home.
Old May 17, 10, 9:21 am

Just had 2 orders canceled by the mint

Few weeks ago I signed up for the Citibusiness card. Used my home address for the card billing address. I then set up a PO box for shipments. The mint preauthorized the card but then canceled both orders because the shipping address didnít match the billing address.

I called the mint and explained why the addresses were different and the CSR was fine with it. We figured out that using the quick order feature caused the PO box to be entered as the billing address and that red flagged the order. She said to just make sure the billing address matched what the card was registered to and that the shipping address could be whatever I wanted.

Instead of altering the Mintís account, I changed the cards mailing address to the PO box so weíll see how that works for the orders I placed after making the change.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: