Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old May 5, 10, 6:59 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
This thread makes me smile. Am I bad?

I probably will not play this game. I can only imagine it if I find myself 500 miles short for an award, and in that case it's easy enough to just go charge something that I was going to buy anyway (really, a couple of trips to Costco just for regular stuff will do it). I usually anticipate my award trips long in advance before I actually need the miles, so this scenario seems unlikely. Still, for some reason I'm tempted to ask down at the credit union the next time I'm there what their policy is on accepting rolled coins...

I have to admit, though, I love the pictures that this conjures up.
Old May 5, 10, 6:59 pm

Programs: starwood and american airlines
HOW?

Originally Posted by njwoods13 View Post
I just keep plugging along depositing $1000 weekly with any other extraneous checks, and using them for any cash business. So I can go through 50-60k yearly. I've got to go to the bank anyway about weeekly, and carrying 4 boxes is no effort.
i am not sure if you want to tell in the open forum but how in the world are you ordering that many coins? i cam barely get a few boxes of the native american coins every few weeks. clearly i am doing something wrong?!
HELP Please
Old May 5, 10, 7:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, United Silver
Originally Posted by njwoods13
I just keep plugging along depositing $1000 weekly with any other extraneous checks, and using them for any cash business. So I can go through 50-60k yearly. I've got to go to the bank anyway about weekly, and carrying 4 boxes is no effort.
Originally Posted by nwa330 View Post
No effort? I have to use a dolly. I'm not strong enough to carry 4 boxes x 33lbs in my arms.
$250 in dollar coins does not weigh 33 pounds.

Please reread what njwoods wrote.
Old May 6, 10, 9:21 am

1 coin = 8.1 grams.

250 = less than 5 lbs
Old May 6, 10, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by mahoney100 View Post
i am not sure if you want to tell in the open forum but how in the world are you ordering that many coins? i cam barely get a few boxes of the native american coins every few weeks. clearly i am doing something wrong?!
HELP Please
I do about the same with Amex gift cards as well as a PO Box, nice thing is I no longer have to be there to sign for the shipments and pick them up on my way to the bank.
Old May 6, 10, 1:08 pm
DrG

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
I do about the same with Amex gift cards as well as a PO Box
I assumed they would not ship to a PO Box. Perhaps a mailbox at the UPS store since they give a physical address.

What billing address do you put for the AMEX gift card? The PO Box?
Old May 6, 10, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by DrG View Post
I assumed they would not ship to a PO Box. Perhaps a mailbox at the UPS store since they give a physical address.

What billing address do you put for the AMEX gift card? The PO Box?
When it becomes a discussion between you and one poster, a PM versus a post should sometimes be considered.
Old May 6, 10, 2:51 pm
DrG

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by GoingAway View Post
When it becomes a discussion between you and one poster, a PM versus a post should sometimes be considered.
I figured the information may be useful for others. I will defer such replies to PM from now on.
Old May 6, 10, 6:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I figured the information may be useful for others
+1
Old May 6, 10, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by mahoney100 View Post
i am not sure if you want to tell in the open forum but how in the world are you ordering that many coins?
You should have been here last year. It was crazy !
Old May 7, 10, 7:36 am

I figured the information may be useful for others. I will defer such replies to PM from now on.
Please continue to post these comments on the forum. There are many of us out here who do appreciate them...and learn from what others are saying.

Thanks again, DrG!
Old May 8, 10, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
This thread makes me smile. Am I bad?

I probably will not play this game. I can only imagine it if I find myself 500 miles short for an award, and in that case it's easy enough to just go charge something that I was going to buy anyway (really, a couple of trips to Costco just for regular stuff will do it). I usually anticipate my award trips long in advance before I actually need the miles, so this scenario seems unlikely. Still, for some reason I'm tempted to ask down at the credit union the next time I'm there what their policy is on accepting rolled coins...

I have to admit, though, I love the pictures that this conjures up.
Same here, I did it (admittedly small-time) for awhile last summer, but it just didn't seem worth it.

However, if I was fortunate enough to work at a bank, I'd be getting shipments sent to me at work daily.
Old May 8, 10, 11:32 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k
Originally Posted by DivMiler View Post
$250 in dollar coins does not weigh 33 pounds.

Please reread what njwoods wrote.
my orders weight 33lbs each box. we're all in the game together, some just play it harder.
Old May 10, 10, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Inventory Control Number?

Does anyone know about the significance of the inventory control number written on the side of the box? Is it issued by the mint or the UPS?
Old May 13, 10, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Today, for the first time, a local Chase branch refused to accept the coins. I usually deposit only in 100 or 250 coins. Today I took 250 coins to this Chase branch to pay my CC bill. As soon as the cashier saw coins, she was like "Oh $ coins, wait a minute" and went up to get her manager. I knew something is wrong. The manager came after 2-3 minutes with another bank employee and politely told me that they cannot accept coins as they are a small branch and donot have space to store these coins. She instead asked me to go to their head branch in our area. I politely said okay and left from there. This is first time any bank has turned me turn so I am feeling a little embarassed/ guilty.I donot think I will take these coins even to their head branch either. Just got back home and thought of sharing my disappointment with my buddies here.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: