Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old May 2, 10, 9:32 am

Programs: Credit Cards
oh yeah, probably was already mentioned before but it was a neat experience yesterday at a Pizza parlor... picked up an order of pie and buffalo wings paying with a roll of coins, even got some paper money back as change.
Old May 4, 10, 12:39 pm

Just deposited about $3k in coins to meet an application bonus. My first time doing the coin trick. The teller was thrilled to get them. She said her elderly customers ask if they have these all the time. She said if i get more to bring them on over

As a side note she said that they only really need to be unrolled by the tellers when they will be shipped off back to the Feds. Otherwise, if they plan on keeping them at the bank they can remain rolled up. That's what she said anyway.
Old May 4, 10, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by frankiwa View Post
Just deposited about $3k in coins to meet an application bonus. My first time doing the coin trick. The teller was thrilled to get them. She said her elderly customers ask if they have these all the time. She said if i get more to bring them on over

As a side note she said that they only really need to be unrolled by the tellers when they will be shipped off back to the Feds. Otherwise, if they plan on keeping them at the bank they can remain rolled up. That's what she said anyway.
Spread it around if you can. I've seen a lot of happy tellers , turn sour after the second or third visit. Visit some other "virgin" branches and you'll continue to be greeted by smiling tellers.
Old May 4, 10, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Same here. I'm sure it's been well documented, but I quit doing the coins last summer because of the hassle.

Trip #1 - "oh wow, how cool!"
Trip #2 - "You're back again?"
Trip #3 - bank tellers and managers crowd around and ask questions (albeit curiously/semi interested)

after awhile, it got to be too much of a hassle for the ~1k-2k airline miles per trip. Anything more than that and the hassle would have been threefold.
Old May 4, 10, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by beachmiles View Post
Spread it around if you can. I've seen a lot of happy tellers , turn sour after the second or third visit. Visit some other "virgin" branches and you'll continue to be greeted by smiling tellers.
That is my strategy too. Sooooo many Chase branches around, I still haven't hit them all. Always greeted with a smile and always out of there in a few minutes.
Old May 4, 10, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by ken7 View Post
Same here. I'm sure it's been well documented, but I quit doing the coins last summer because of the hassle.

Trip #1 - "oh wow, how cool!"
Trip #2 - "You're back again?"
Trip #3 - bank tellers and managers crowd around and ask questions (albeit curiously/semi interested)

after awhile, it got to be too much of a hassle for the ~1k-2k airline miles per trip. Anything more than that and the hassle would have been threefold.
Yeah, i agree, probably not worth the hassle for the amount of miles (especially if they make you unroll them). I would just use the coins to meet an application bonus or to top off a FF program with a few miles for an upcoming redemption in which i am a little shy.
Old May 4, 10, 3:44 pm

Programs: Working on this!
I ordered $5k with my chase continental debit card from a work bonus I got. I don't need it for anything just yet so I then deposited the coins into my Suntrust Delta Skymiles account. Ordering some more and then going to deposit back into my Chase account. I think I'll do that a couple times.
Old May 4, 10, 3:57 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by rcarteraz View Post
I ordered $5k with my chase continental debit card from a work bonus I got. I don't need it for anything just yet so I then deposited the coins into my Suntrust Delta Skymiles account. Ordering some more and then going to deposit back into my Chase account. I think I'll do that a couple times.
be careful with this, as the CO Chase card has been know to NOT award miles for mint purchases. just sayin' YMMV
Old May 4, 10, 3:59 pm

Programs: Working on this!
Originally Posted by carsonheim View Post
be careful with this, as the CO Chase card has been know to NOT award miles for mint purchases. just sayin' YMMV
Even the debit card? wow... this might suck. Thanks for the heads up!
Old May 4, 10, 6:06 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k
I would disagree, sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. Although I can't even get a order to process. At least your getting them.
Old May 4, 10, 10:11 pm

Really? My OP account definitely disagrees. You may just need to use the card for other purchases too to not raise any flags.
Old May 4, 10, 10:13 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by paranoiatx; May 4, 10 at 10:13 pm Reason: Dupe
Old May 4, 10, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by rcarteraz View Post
Even the debit card? wow... this might suck. Thanks for the heads up!
I've used the Chase United debit card and it worked fine.

Look at your transactions on-line and they will indicate if they qualify for miles. For my United debit is shows "MP" before the transaction info for qualifying transactions. Should be similar for Continental.
Old May 5, 10, 11:08 am

I just keep plugging along depositing $1000 weekly with any other extraneous checks, and using them for any cash business. So I can go through 50-60k yearly. I've got to go to the bank anyway about weeekly, and carrying 4 boxes is no effort.
Old May 5, 10, 6:53 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k
Originally Posted by njwoods13 View Post
I just keep plugging along depositing $1000 weekly with any other extraneous checks, and using them for any cash business. So I can go through 50-60k yearly. I've got to go to the bank anyway about weeekly, and carrying 4 boxes is no effort.
No effort? I have to use a dolly. I'm not strong enough to carry 4 boxes x 33lbs in my arms.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: