Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Apr 10, 10, 11:34 am

Machine Failure

Well, I am getting coins, but the machine at my bank misfired again. The staff at the branch were great about it...you know dollars counting as quarters. They suggested next time I come in that I come to the teller first and they can 'watch' me put them in. I find in those situations, they even help a bit. Apparently Sundays are the quietest day for them.
Old Apr 10, 10, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
I know there are a few members on here that are more knowledgeable on this topic than I am. I've seen posts that talk about how their bank was trying to charge them a fee to accept coins. Sometimes this is so they can pay for the truck to come haul the coins off to the reserve. I've seen some members reply that they can't spring new fees on you and such.

I am wondering about if a bank tells you that they are going to bill you a fee in order to sell back the currency to the reserve. That they have to pay a fee for the reserve to accept the money. That they cannot tell you what the fee is in advance and that they will just "apply" it to your account once they've been charged by the reserve.

I'm no MrPickles and I'm also not an expert on the inner-workings of a bank or know what legal rights I have. But I received a call today letting me know that if I bring anymore in that they will be forwarding on a charge that they receive from the reserve. I asked if they could mail me the actual fee, and they said they could not, that they would just apply the charge to my account when they receive it.

I found it to be very strange that they just now are springing this on me. I always call ahead and make sure they aren't busy when making a deposit and ask the bank manager if it's ok to come in at that time. Have had a very good relationship with the credit union. I'm not really sure if it's worth my time to fight over it, but I was just wondering if they are allowed to do this. If you have any thoughts let me know, I'd appreciate it!
The State Employees Cr Union told me that they are no longer accept any coin deposit from me! PERIOD...... I thought about fighting it, then thought itis just easier to go to another bank
Old Apr 10, 10, 7:44 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by rodneywkr View Post
The State Employees Cr Union told me that they are no longer accept any coin deposit from me! PERIOD...... I thought about fighting it, then thought itis just easier to go to another bank
No use fighting it, unless you are paying a debt, they are under no obligation to accept your deposit.
Old Apr 10, 10, 8:21 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
I'm no MrPickles and I'm also not an expert on the inner-workings of a bank or know what legal rights I have.
I keep saying that I am just an average guy working my @@s off to make ends meet. Just my ends may be differant than most peoples. LOL
Old Apr 10, 10, 9:52 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Frenchie Flyer View Post
I've had 20 boxes of NAs on order for literally months. I lost out on the British Airways bonus miles, because of it. At first they said the coins were on hold and would ship, then on backorder. The dates keep moving out a few weeks. I think I'll cancel the order and try again. The first time it was the BA card that was rejecting the order...it was right at my credit line. So I split the order between two cards. So now I'll have to call and see what's up.

Frenchie Flyer
Ouch! Luckily for me, the tuition bill came due the same week we got the BA cards. If something like this happens to you again, I'd just go buy store gift cards on your last possible day so you don't forfeit the miles.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Oct 26, 10 at 7:09 pm
Old Apr 10, 10, 10:54 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
AMEX gift card is another option for the last minute. Remember to via ebates or mrrebates first to get another 1% cashback.

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Ouch! Lucky for us, my wife's tuition bill came due the same week we got the BA cards. If something like this happens to you again, I'd just go buy store gift cards on your last possible day so you don't forfeit the miles.
Old Apr 11, 10, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles View Post
I keep saying that I am just an average guy working my @@s off to make ends meet. Just my ends may be differant than most peoples. LOL
Well you've been pretty savvy about the program and have been very helpful with information, though I don't know I would say average... haha Didn't you have employees help you with this?

The only disappointing thing is how the value of the Delta Skymiles I've earned have greatly depreciated in just the past 6 months. I'm glad I was able to book tickets before they retired the NWA website. I only go for SPG points now or cash.

Bigcrumbs is a little above 1% cash rebate for American Express gift cards. My suggestion is to use your credit card to buy the Amex Gift card then use the gift card to buy the coins. The largest card you can get is $3k and I believe there is either a weekly or bi-weekly limit of $5k. There is a free 90 day next day shipping program and I can try and supply codes to wave the processing fee. So these cards come at no expense and you receive 1.2% cashback within 60 days. My lifetime payout from BigCrumbs is over $500. I can confirm these do earn points/miles when buying them with Amex brand cards.

Here is a referral link if you are interested: http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/land...rophys&s=64642
Old Apr 11, 10, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
American Express gift card acceptance ?

Bigcrumbs is a little above 1% cash rebate for American Express gift cards. My suggestion is to use your credit card to buy the Amex Gift card then use the gift card to buy the coins.
I'm just a newbie in this adventure ... please don't eat me alive ..

Is it possible to purchase coins with a giftcard ?

I've been doing a trial run thru the checkout process, but nowhere is payment accepted or facilitated of Amex Gift cards .... but sure enough with e-Gift Certificates.

And if so, would the purchase of Amex gift cards with a Visa/MasterCard CC count as cash advance or not accrue points at all (US Bank/Chase) ?
Old Apr 11, 10, 5:28 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I have mixed results with AMEX gift cards (regarded as credit cards). Some went through, and some didn't.
Purchases of AMEX gift cards are regarded as regular purchases, not cash advance.

Originally Posted by Travelomania View Post
Is it possible to purchase coins with a giftcard ?

I've been doing a trial run thru the checkout process, but nowhere is payment accepted or facilitated of Amex Gift cards .... but sure enough with e-Gift Certificates.

And if so, would the purchase of Amex gift cards with a Visa/MasterCard CC count as cash advance or not accrue points at all (US Bank/Chase) ?
Old Apr 11, 10, 6:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I have been able to purchase with a Visa gift card (which was purchased with an Amex). The card comes imprinted with my name, though-- not sure if that makes a difference. Purchase of the gift card showed up as a purchase on my Amex.
Old Apr 11, 10, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by Corylopsis View Post
I have mixed results with AMEX gift cards (regarded as credit cards). Some went through, and some didn't.
From the Mint website:

The United States Mint Online Catalog only accepts credit cards and United States Mint issued E-Gift Certificates.
Or do you have to call in your order in order to facilitate acceptance of Giftcards ?
Old Apr 11, 10, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Travelomania View Post
From the Mint website:

Or do you have to call in your order in order to facilitate acceptance of Giftcards ?
I have had no problems so far. Sometimes with certain places you want to use your amex gift card at you need to call their 800 number to attach your address to it. For instance ebay.

If you have any concerns start out small and work your way up. If for any reason you can't get it to work, which I don't see happening, you can always use the gift card to pay off your utilities.
Old Apr 11, 10, 7:17 pm

Bigcrumbs is a little above 1% cash rebate for American Express gift cards. My suggestion is to use your credit card to buy the Amex Gift card then use the gift card to buy the coins. The largest card you can get is $3k and I believe there is either a weekly or bi-weekly limit of $5k. There is a free 90 day next day shipping program and I can try and supply codes to wave the processing fee. So these cards come at no expense and you receive 1.2% cashback within 60 days. My lifetime payout from BigCrumbs is over $500. I can confirm these do earn points/miles when buying them with Amex brand cards.
the actual return from bigcrumbs is something like 1.04%, once you consider (1) the amex $3.95 card fee and (2) bigcrumbs' 2% commission. it becomes 0.8% if you're stuck with shipping.
Old Apr 11, 10, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by crabbing View Post
the actual return from bigcrumbs is something like 1.04%, once you consider (1) the amex $3.95 card fee and (2) bigcrumbs' 2% commission. it becomes 0.8% if you're stuck with shipping.
1) There is a code for $3.95 fee
2) I have no idea what you are talking about with a bigcrumbs commsion
3) Shipping can be waived for 90 days with the free shipping program
Old Apr 13, 10, 10:30 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
1) There is a code for $3.95 fee
2) I have no idea what you are talking about with a bigcrumbs commsion
3) Shipping can be waived for 90 days with the free shipping program
You could also buy them thru BigCrumbs using the Travelocity MC and get the extra 4% to use toward travel on Travelocity.

What happens with the Gift card when it is down to next to nothing? Can you call for a check of the remainder like with the Staples Visa rebate cards?

JudyJFLA

Search this Thread
Search Engine: